Shipwreck Farm

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Lilliput, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I wanted to try a bit of something different for a new save-- Lillian the library-witch is all well and good, but she's a bit... reserved? So...

anne.png

I present Anne Bonney of Shipwreck Farm. Her grandpappy was a genuine pirate in the days when Pelican Town was new and rollicking and the Stardrop was a proper wharf tavern and not that sissified place Gus runs now. Grandpappy wrecked his ship one wild night-- both the weather and his time at the tavern had been wild-- and built a tiny cabin out of the wreckage (you can see he used the portholes and a salvaged anchor) on one of the outlying islands, where he later staked a claim to the farmstead. Well, grandpappy is dead now, and Anne, an aspiring pirate lass, owns the place now. She'll get this old farm shipshape!

Anne's a bit new at this farming thing, but she's a hard-drinking, hard swearing, roisterous gal. She'll probably wield a pirate cutlass once I've gotten that far in the Adventurer's Guild (no sissy 'Galaxy Swords' for a real pirate!), and the mangy old ship's cat wandering the farm is named, naturally enough, Calico Jack. Her 'favorite thing' is doubloons.

She does not say, 'arrrh', and is likely to tell you to sod off if you ask her to. But she could drink Pam under the table and already knows her way around the Mines, looking for buried treasure and gems. Ahoy!

anne2.png
    Avast, Calico Jack-- prepare for boarders.

• Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Ahoy!

I like it! Can I ask for her height and build and any distinguishing characteristics that ain't on the sprite, for no real reason at all?

Lilliput likes this.
      • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Haha, you're a crafty one, you are.

She's tall and strapping, probably a head taller than the average. She walks with the swaggering roll of a mariner, and wears large gold hoop earings, two in her right ear and one in the left. The pants are worn tucked into the tops of the boots. She keeps her hair tied back in a loose ponytail, out of the way, and would generally be seen with either a fishing pole or a sword (I'm working my way up to the Pirate Sword, still on the Rusty Blade, as it's a new save.), depending on if she's spending the day fishing or looking for trouble in the Mines. Calico Jack is one of those mangy but still feisty ship's cats, grizzled and a bit shopworn (he might even be Grandpappy's old cat, from the wrecked ship) but still loyal.

Alkanthe likes this.
        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Excerpt from the log of the former Brandywine, now the cabin of Shipwreck Farm:

Autumn 24; Year 1
          Squalls again; never seen such a mess of ill-weather, someone in town's been whistling up the wind something sharp. Went out to the dock this morning, but it was so damp even the fish had gone in for the day to dry off.

anne3.png

Grandpap's little hidey-hole, his smuggler's den, is just as he left it when he ran cargoes of aue de vie off the coast of Pelican Town. A blue squib in the night, and the lugger would slip the revenue gang and offload right here, on the western shore. The town lubbers knew better than to poke around near the cave, and the mask was warning enough for most...

smuggler1.png

Ahh, this does my deadlights something warming, it surely does, casks of the finest spirits outside of a churchyard. And a little something of my own; my private little treasure house, too. A firkin of mead, the jingle of coin, I'll go bail you've scarce seen such fineries, my brave lads and lasses.

smuggler2.png

• Kid Absurdity

Kid Absurdity Big Damn Hero

I enjoy the thematic, since:

1) Pirates are rad.
            2) Anne Bonny is a complete badass.
            3) Calico Jack is the PERFECT name for that cat.

It does make me wonder if you've seen/are drawing inspiration from Black Sails at all.

Alkanthe likes this.
            • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

No, I have not. Just a fondness for actual 17th and 18th century history, and a steady diet of classic fiction about pirates and smugglers. (Stevenson, Falkner, Sabatini, Hawes, Thorndike...)

Alkanthe likes this.
              • Kid Absurdity

Sabatini is phenomenal.

Lilliput likes this.
                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Excerpt from the log of the former Brandywine, now the cabin of Shipwreck Farm:

Summer 8; Year 2
                  Fiddler's Green, Grandpap used to call it-- that sweet little compass rose he'd plant in clover and hops and them delicate-as-lace little tubers he found in Yoba only knows what port off the coast of Gotoro. Took me the better part of two seasons to dig down past the bilge-muck of dirt to get back down to the soil again...

sw1.png

The Brethren of the Coast, as I calls them. Widdershins, from the lower right, that'd be Flint, Cap'n Hook, Long John, and Peter Blood. Watch yer hands at feeding time and turn your back to them at your own risk.

sw3.png

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Are you, perhaps, familiar with the Ballad of Mary Reed and Dancing Jack DuValle?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Come all ye filibusterers and roving buccaneers,
                      Ye rapperies and picaroons and wayward privateers,
                      Ye gentlemen of fortune, roaring captains, one and all,
                      Come hear the tale of Mary Read and Dancing Jack Duvall.
                      And it's a glass for every prize, and two for every dirty deed,
                      And three more for the soul of wicked, loving Mary Read.
                      Her hair was full of twilight and her eyes were like a game.
                      Her face was like the deep sea that never stays the same.
                      She knew as many rakish songs as any might desire,
                      And she danced along the rigging like St. Elmo's bloody fire.
                      And it's a glass for every prize, and two for every dirty deed,
                      And three more for the soul of wicked, loving Mary Read.

Alkanthe likes this.
                      • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Yes, that one.

Here's to Mary Read, drink her health in bathtub Gin
                        She gave a face to virtue, and a decent name to sin.
                        And here's to Dancing Jack... drink to him in Sherry Wine...
                        'Cause there couldn't be no hero if there wasn't no bloody slime![/url]

Alkanthe likes this.
                        • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I love seeing your story and pictures, but they also make me realize how much I still have to learn about this language. As you may know, my mother tongue is German and besides the urge to place commas everywhere I also have some difficulties understanding old English.
                          But I like reading it here, it is learning while doing something enjoyable.

• Kid Absurdity

In the paraphrased words of poet and luminary Sir Philip Sidney, the purpose of art is to delight AND to instruct.

Rauchschwalbe likes this.