1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Ship was reset

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by kinvi, Sep 8, 2016.

1. kinvi

kinvi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As of the update 1.1 (9/8/16) everything on one of my character's ships was reset! I had customized the walls and put in numerous objects for decoration, but now everything is gone. It just looks like I got the final upgrade with all of the hazard blocks still around. My crew are still there but I have a different starting pet...

I've tried using the ship backups, but it didn't seem to work. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, as a note: I did NOT use the BYOS mod. I have no mods installed at all.

EDIT: For more information, I downloaded the update and tried to join a multiplayer server that was NOT updated. I clicked "let assets mismatch" but got disconnected anyway and unchecked it after. When I loaded up singleplayer, that was when my ship was reset.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Waffle-Chan likes this.
  2. BlueBeary

BlueBeary Space Hobo

I am having the exact same issue. I tried joining my regular server (which had not been updated), got an asset mismatch warning, enabled it, and now everything on my ship is gone. I am pretty upset that this happened after we were told no future updates would cause character wipes.

3. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought this was an issue with a modded ship but it seems more people have this problem.

I also found a rather... interesting issue. I thought I would get around this bug by making a new character, replacing the shipworld file, and then replacing the player file, but after replacing the shipworld file and going ingame, the ship was still as if it had never been replaced at all. The file size remains the same even, but the ingame appearance is unchanged.
    In 1.05 this works without an issue (replacing the ship file and seeing the change ingame) in 1.1 it doesn't.

I even went back to my 1.05 version to make a new character and replace the ship file, port this new player + ship to 1.1 and login there, and bust again, ship is wiped.

4. BlueBeary

BlueBeary Space Hobo

Really hoping for an official response. Can't really expect a fix, but I would like an explanation of why it happened and if it will happen again.

5. TAImatem

TAImatem Subatomic Cosmonaut

Would be nice if they will release fix for this, or at least a tool that will let us fix the .shipworld ourselves (like making it readable). I don't really think this is what they expected after all

6. dterran

dterran Space Hobo

My brother and I had the exact same issue. Most servers weren't updated to 1.1 and I tried to join a server to an asset mismatch screen. We checked to allow for asset mismatch and joined the 1.0 server to find our ships gutted of everything except the basic walls and most of the ship lights. My brother had logged back in twice and was unable to recover his ship file, but I had only logged in once to find my ship empty and was able to rename the third backup file to the shipfile extension and name and saved/deleted the original shipfile. I was able to recover everything from my ship using this method. {win7 64bit 1.1build}

The server is now updated to 1.1 but I have an assets mismatch error still and I'm afraid to try it again for fear of losing hours and hours of work. My friends are able to log in just fine.

Edit: the server is 192.99.100.11 port 21015 if that helps

After saving all my files and crossing my fingers I allowed asset mismatch again and logged in with a non-main character. I was relieved to find I was able to log into the server again. I logged in less hesitantly with my main and was rewarded to find my things were all there. Bless the fickle gods who giveth and taketh away.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. tommo1993

tommo1993 Void-Bound Voyager

You tried to join old server, so your items got deleted by a server.

8. TenkoKuugen

Explain it happening in single player then.

9. Miilanna

Miilanna Space Hobo

My ship was reset suddenly too. I lost about everything, and yes, I also had a new pet. I wrote a post which was never answered, so I had to go in as an admin and get things back that way. I would rather have had an answer to my post ...

10. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Has someone an appropriate starbound.log for when it happened? It would be quite helpful. Also can someone attach a pre 1.1 shipworld? Best way is putting shipworld and log in a zip file and attach it.

~ Iris ~

11. TenkoKuugen

The starbound log showed no actual errors when this happened, none at all, which is what was so frustrating.
    I have my 1.05 shipworld backed up and in theory I can duplicate the issue at any time by just backing up my current 1.1 save and using my 1.05 save game to create the log (that does not show any issues)
    Tell me if there is any point in attaching an error-free log and I'll do it.

Just rename the extension of shipworld.log to shipworld to make it work, I didn't want to bother upload it somewhere else.

Attached Files:

12. Iris Blanche

The log also holds information about used mods.

Edit:
    The debug log also prints an error when loading the shipworld. I'll redirect this issue to the devs. Thank you for providing the shipworld. :)

~ Iris ~

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  13. TenkoKuugen

Here is the log then
    I can load the shipworld just fine in 1.05
    The shipworld is a custom ship from a mod however as people mentioned above, it also happens without mods

Attached Files:

14. Iris Blanche

Thanks for the log. I redirected the issue.

Also i found a possible solution for it. The error is caused by the instruction limit. I assume that too big ships are causing this. By increasing the instruction limit in the starbound.config you can import your ship (will take a while though).

Note: I don't know if this can have any negative side effects on other scripts by mods or the vanilla scripts directly! Please make a backup of your old config and ONLY increase the instruction limit for importing your ship!

~ Iris ~

15. TenkoKuugen

It's too late for that, I already moved ahead with 1.1 and would need to relocate a ton of stuff but I will remember this when 1.2 rolls around and it happens again.

16. SyndicateRook

SyndicateRook Void-Bound Voyager

Happened to me, lost over 100hrs of hoarding. I am super disappointed.

17. Iris Blanche

Please attach the full log located in your storage directory. It's named starbound.log (will show up as "starbound" when you don't have file extensions shown). There are also more logs (.1-.5). These are logs from the sessions before. If you didn't had start the game after the error i don't need them. Use the "Upload a File" button to select and attach the log.

Also have you tried following my solution a few posts above? It's a important information i need to know.

~ Iris ~

18. TAImatem

TAImatem Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just tried your solution and it worked for me (shipworld was from v1.0 with uros IV mod)
    Thank you so much!