1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Share exactly the same world with friends

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Insannik, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Insannik

Insannik Space Hobo

Hi there,

I just started playing this game with 3 of my friends. It looks promising so far but I can't enjoy the game until I fully grasp how this server hosting works. What I did is, I started the game and invited them via Steam. We discovered our ships and visited eachother. Problem is, something I noticed was that my ship orbits a different planet than my friends.

So for example, when I beam down from my ship, I go to a different planet then when I beam down from my friends their ship. Problem is, when I go offline and my friends want to continue playing, how exactly do I make sure they can still visit the planet my ship is orbiting without me being online?

In terraria we used to just share the world files via dropbox and then host after the original host went offline. Can someone explain to me how to do this :)

2. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you should... hmm...

first, know each other's coordinates. Those coords are the names of the planets in save.

Second, pick one world that all of you will always meet, and then sub-planets where you want your friends to visit your creations

Third, use your Terraria technique to copy those worlds to each other. (The folder for the worlds is [Root Directory, your starbound folder]/storage/universe)

Now, that's for saving a world file. Do you want to get to your friends quickly? Beam to them, then use their ship's teleporter to beam down!

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The syncronization method will work, but just remember to let them fully sync before one of you starts hosting again, otherwise you will end up with mismatched data. This is basically the exact reason why a central server is more beneficial, on top of offloading processing, which lead to the client/server structure all those many years ago.