RELEASED Shaney-er Marriage Dialogue (Shane Dialogue Overhaul - No SMAPI)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Seismothesaurus, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay for my first post here to be a mod I made. I didn't originally intend to show it to anyone since it's my first mod ever, but I found this forum so helpful in figuring out the technical side of what I wanted to do that I figured I could give back. I hope that someone out there will enjoy it.

This is a simple dialogue-only mod to give Shane back some of his personality and character after marriage (based on one person's subjective view of his character, of course). I love the character CA gave us a lot, and I'm very grateful that CA went back in and made him single, but I felt that there was a disconnect between heart events Shane and husband Shane. I also wanted more lines in general so it wouldn't get as repetitive talking to him every day.

Warning: some possibly spoiler-ish stuff ahead.

~
    What was changed/tweaked:
    -Lines that made him sound like a 24/7 lazy deadbeat. I don't believe that's true to his character as established through the heart events. He hated being unemployed (if Joja is closed first) and feeling useless.
    -Related to the previous, more suggestions that he's working around the farm. Of all the singles, I think he would've adjusted to farm life the easiest after living on Marnie's ranch.
    -Lines that engage more directly with the player and make it sound more like a marriage--asking them questions, wanting to spend time together, etc.
    -More lines referencing his depression, regardless of heart level. CA handled his depression respectfully and I wanted to make sure that it stayed realistic and didn't go away just because some good things happened. I interpret some 'lazy' lines as actually being 'depressed' lines from personal experience, so those stayed.
    -More date-specific lines, particularly birthday reminders and festival commentary. (This is more of a QoL and bringing extra life to the town thing than a specifically Shane thing. If you don't want the birthday reminders, rename and use "MarriageDialogueShane - NoBirthdays.xnb" instead.)
    -For technical reasons, lines about kids are more vague to be equally applicable for those of us who mod kids into pets. They should still work with regular kids, but the one about corn may be a little weird. (Oh well, Shane's a weird fleshbag sometimes.)

What was not changed:
    -The fact that he still drinks sometimes. He said he would cut back rather than quit, and that's reflected in this mod. I know that someone else did a pre-marriage mod where he stops drinking, if people are looking for that, but I feel strongly about keeping it in.
    -The fact that he's not a typical romantic. He's got sweetness to him, but he doesn't directly express it often or particularly well.
    -His ridiculous love of all things pizza and pepper poppers, though I did change a couple of lines (I've played for 185 hours as of releasing this mod and have yet to see pepperoni in SV, nor do I want to).
    -Which food items he gives the player. Gotta love that "here, have this expired void egg" one.
    -Obviously for technical reasons, dialogue that isn't stored inside his marriage file (events, non-farm locations, and generic marriage dialogue). Many lines from the original file were left as-is or just given a different portrait.
    -The general tone of SV's dialogue. There are a few suggestive lines, but nothing explicit. Depression references are mild to roughly as dark as his heart events. One or two very vague references to suicide, similar to vanilla SV.

The full text of dialogue and environmental triggers is available in the info file if you don't mind spoilers.
    ~

Current version: v1.0 (2017-4-23)
    How to use: Replace the original MarriageDialogueShane.xnb file (no SMAPI). There are two scripts in the package: one with birthday reminders and favourite gifts and one without.
    Disclaimer: This is my first mod and I am not a programmer. Please back up your files. So far I have not had any major issues with it, but you never know. Please excuse my vaporwave aesthetic trophy room and jungle bird nursery (thank you so much to that bird mod creator, by the way). :)

Known Issues:
    -Occasionally the dialogue bubble goes away when clicked without revealing any text. However, I was seeing that before I made this mod, so I'm not sure where the problem is.
    -Birthday text is occasionally overridden, presumably by higher-priority text. When in doubt, check a calendar.

Thank you to CA for an overall great character and a fantastic game! It's honestly eating my life. And thanks to anyone who's made it through my wall of text!

Birthday Reminder.jpg
    Vanilla Tweak.jpg

v1.1 Update (2017-6-2): Just fixed a small typo (Charlie was referred to as 'he' in one line). I have uploaded the new file. Please let me know if there are any issues with it.

(I hate to have to say this, but some people can't be trusted to respect the work the modding community does, so...
    WARNING: Do not download this mod from any place other than NexusMods or the Chucklefish forums! WWW.STARDEWVALLEYMODS.NET STEALS MODS AND UPLOADS THEM ON THEIR WEBSITE WITHOUT PERMISSION. DO NOT download any mods there! If you see my mods anywhere other than Nexus or the forums, please link me to the site ASAP. Thank you!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

You know, just from looking at the text, I think I like yours the best of all the marriage dialogue mods I've seen. Thanks!

Seismothesaurus likes this.
      • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Yes, I agree with @springacres, you did an excellent job with Shane's marriage dialogue.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm so glad to see so many of these mods being made that expand on the characters. I've already done my Shane file but I wish something like this would have been out before that, it would have made the whole thing a lot more fun.

I'd love to see someone do something like this for Seb, I've been fiddling with my own version a bit but it's just minor tweaks to another mod I'd installed and the stuff I'm having him say is somewhat specific to my character. >u<

• Seismothesaurus

Thank you, everyone! It means a lot to hear that. I poured a good number of 5am nights into this, learning how to mod, writing, rewriting, and testing. I didn't plan to release it at first but I'm glad that others are liking it and feel that I stayed true to his character. That's all I wanted to do when I started--make Shane feel more like Shane and keep his struggles realistic.

I've only married once and it's obvious who it was, but it sounds like a lot of the dialogue could really use work after marriage. Maybe CA didn't expect us to get so attached to them and talk to them as much as possible for so many years? I've seen a few dialogue mods popping up here and there and I hope that the modding community will keep expanding on this aspect of the game.

• springacres

I think ALL the romanceable characters could use dialogue expansions, honestly. Both before and after marriage.

Also, Marnie and Jas should get additional dialogue if you marry Shane, like all the other in-laws who live in town do. (I'm using @Auronlova's mod for that.)

• Alvadea

Alvadea Pangalactic Porcupine

As this sounds very good and well written (so far I can evaluate this, being not a great english speaker), how about working with RTGOAT at Longevity a bit more? :D He plan to implement more dialogues as well and I wait impatiently for something like this, since I found nearly nothing changed in the dialogues, after became Shanes girlfriend. o.o

• Seismothesaurus

Thank you! I have been considering writing more dialogue, but I don't know if I can get into the heads of the other characters as much. (Shane was not difficult for me because I got so familiar with his dialogue and have lived a lot of his struggles.) I didn't marry anyone else yet, so I don't know the other singles beyond eight hearts.

I've just started using @haywrites 's narrative overhaul mods for Clint, Demetrius, Gus, and Willy. It's nice to see these characters fleshed out. I think there definitely needs to be more dialogue for the non-singles.

If I did another dialogue mod, I'm mostly considering Jas right now. But it would be difficult not to put my own theory of her relationship to Shane and Marnie into the story, and I don't want to make too many assumptions outside of the story that CA established.

I guess it also depends on which characters need it the most as well.

I wish I knew more about modding beyond dialogue and character art, because it would be great to have dialogue referring to your marriage that triggers without having to replace individual XNBs for specific characters (especially since you're not always married to the same person on different saves). It's not often that people in Pelican Town get married, so you'd think there would be more buzz about it. I agree that at the very least, family and friends of your spouse should have something to say about it! The day after I married Shane, I went to Marnie's and she asked me to buy hay from her because she needs the money. o_O

springacres and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                  • springacres

Agreed. I've been married to Shane for 2 years in one of my saves, and the village is still acting like I'm single - including the bachelors/bachelorettes.

• bi-chan

bi-chan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I loved Harvey, until one time I was high hearts with him but he kept talking about Maru.
                      I wonder if I could do something like what you did for him...
                      By the way, I'm currently romancing Shane and I am adding your mod right now :D

• Seismothesaurus

Thank you! :)

Yeah, that bothers me about Harvey, too. He seems sweet, but the way he talks about Maru creeps me out. She's your employee! Stop trying to rub sunscreen on her!

If you wanted to try your hand at modding, I think dialogues are one of the easiest places to start. Like I mentioned in the OP, this was my first mod ever and I have very little experience with programming-type stuff. The modding community here is great and there are a lot of resources for learning. Best of luck if you decide to try it! (Edit: Unless you know how to mod already--then my advice is useless and sorry for the assumption!)

bi-chan likes this.
                        • bi-chan

bi-chan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only thing I recently know how to do is to change the images like the hats and stuff! ( Always found the base one horrible xD ) Now I only need to know how to remove the hair changing when putting on my cute new hats ahaha
                          But thanks! It's something I really wish to learn! :D

• Seismothesaurus

v1.1 Update (2017-6-2): Fixed a small typo/brain fart I noticed today (Charlie was referred to as 'he' in one line). I have uploaded the new file in the OP. Please let me know if there are any issues with it.

Jokerine likes this.