1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server on dedicated system

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by twinsonian, Dec 5, 2013.

1. twinsonian

twinsonian Void-Bound Voyager

I scanned through some of the forums so far and if this question was answered and I missed it, sorry.

When launching starbound through steam the starbound "launcher" opens and allows for running the server and/or the client. Now I have a separate tower dedicated to hosting servers for the games we play as a family. Do I need to install starbound through steam on that computer then go in to steam apps and somehow run the server? What I mean is, the same steam account is the account I want to play starbound from on my main desktop.

I complicated this I think. How do I run a dedicated server without using steam.

Thanks

EDIT:

Answered my own question. I had to install it to my server through steam. Closed steam and ran starbound_server.exe from the steamapps ...... directory.

2. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

I just uploaded the file to my server and started it

Installing steam will help keep the server up to date tho

3. Headzup

Headzup Space Spelunker

hmm ^^ normally a server runs 24/7 so you never get that new update if you don't check for a new update yourself and restart the server ;)

4. Orthus

Orthus Void-Bound Voyager

You will need your server files and your asset files to launch the server. In any linux system you will also need all the required lib files as well. I will be writing a bash script to help make this process faster.

5. Avigz

Avigz Space Spelunker

Steam CMD boys. what an awefull tool, but it works