1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Server Configuration

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bandus, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MajSpork

MajSpork Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Other clients are unable to connect to my server. I have Port Forwarded 21025. Is there something else I have to do?

2. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

That's really weird. My server did indeed say ..\starbound.config, however, that file does not exist at all in that location. Very strange.

3. nielwulf

nielwulf Poptop Tamer

I was having the same problem of not having the starbound.config file as well.

What I found was that I needed to start the actual game first, not the starbound_server.exe. After I started a game session and then quit the game, I had a starbound.config file.

I have yet to test the password functionality described before but I will soon (tm)

edit: also of note, it looks as if you incorrectly edit the config file, it will rename it to starbound_<timestamp>.fail
    So if you aren't sure if you are doing it right, you will see the log state it couldn't open it and at what part it had trouble reading.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. darkinnit

darkinnit Aquatic Astronaut

The starbound.config file is the client config file. To edit the server config file, (with ports, passwords etc):

Quoting that Tweet here for the lazy:

"if you want to set a password on your server: assets/default_configuration.config edit the serverPasswords list."

5. clusterflux

clusterflux Aquatic Astronaut

I tried making this change and restarting my server but I can still only login with no password. Is there anything you have to do to reload the configs?

EDIT: nm, read darkinnit's post above mine

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. Bot

Bot Void-Bound Voyager

In linux server password can be changed in default_configuration.config which is in /home/starbound/server/assets. Also you can change server port. I just tested this on my server.

7. clusterflux

clusterflux Aquatic Astronaut

I thought the same thing and did edit the worldInactiveShutdown value to 0, and restarted the server, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The world still gets shutdown when idle, and as far as I can tell this value change hasn't affected anything at all.

I'm also looking to make a config change to prevent kicking players when they go idle. If anyone finds that out, let me know.

8. Zertap

Zertap Void-Bound Voyager

Something I just realized: The game doesn't accept localhost. You must use 127.0.0.1 instead.

On windows 7 64bit.

9. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

On my own server, despite the fact that the server window indicates that the world is "shutting down," the server still accepts connections and players are able to connect. I left it running all night with no players and was able to immediately connect in the morning by using the client to join like normal.

Despite the fact it says that t he world is shutting down, I don't think it means that the server itself is shutting down.

Zertap likes this.
  10. Zertap

Zertap Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, mine does this too.
    And to add to my above post: My domain works for other people. It is just localhost not working for 127.0.0.1

11. jovial

jovial Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same here, though I did edit the worldInactiveShutdown to 0. All in all I'm glad and kinda surprised to see that the server is still up and running now that I got back, I wasn't expecting much out of this release. Though I am looking forward to more features, admin commands and so on.

12. beers

beers Master Chief

Starbound uses the two port numbers above (21026 and 21027) as well.

13. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Ive opened the ports 21025-21030
    Risk of Rain recognizes all 5 ports as well.
    However no one can access my server, and the only way i personally can get to it is if i use local ip (192.168.1.3)

Do you think you can pass off the server config file so that i may review it and see if i need to make certain changes?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  14. beers

beers Master Chief

I haven't made any changes to the default config...the issues I had surrounding ports were all related to my firewalls/router and port forwarding.

15. Finally

Finally Space Spelunker

Thanks for the password help. I was looking for something like this for my server!