Seasons

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by PurpleSquirel43, Jun 26, 2013.

?

Would seasons be a good idea?

1. Yes, I want the day/night cycle and temperatures to change on my planet.

82.7%
  2. Sure, why not.

12.0%
  3. Meh.

3.6%
  4. Nah, I don't think so.

1.3%
  5. I want it to stay clear and sunny forever on my planet! No way!

0.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1. This is a game.
    2. Grammar.
    :facepalm:

Annoctatio and Sower like this.
  2. rigapotato

rigapotato Aquatic Astronaut

From the minute amounts of experience i have from modding minecraft they could just create overlays that cover the original texture until the block or whatever is destroyed.

3. theferdi265

theferdi265 Starship Captain

Seasons would be nice, but I think they only really make sense when the devs take it seriously, like with some kind of seasons depending on orbit shape/distance/tilt and planet ecosystem, but that would need rather big changes in the way planets are saved/the way the engine handles planets.

Things that would have to be considered/changed for seasons to work in a somewhat astronomically correct fashion (nof completely correct, this is a game after all):
    Orbit State (Probably in the game)
    Planet rotation state (probably impossible with the 2D nature of planets in starbound)
    Planet generation (would have to be changed to fulfill possible biome-type things that change with season)
    Tile-mechanics (would have to be changed to allow for things like water-to ice and other things like clouds, snowfall, rain etc)
    Time (would have to be reconsidered (how fast does time progress in starbound? Consider orbit lengths/shapes that seasons won't need hundreds of gameplay hours to change))

4. Arhero

Arhero Aquatic Astronaut

Good idea! )

5. Smetanol

Smetanol Starship Captain

Yea, it's cool, but it can be even cooler, if you can control it. Like if I wanna it be summer, but it's winter, then I can build expencive machine, give it tons of resourses and it will speed up comming of next season or make it instantly.

Medkit likes this.
  6. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

You can't forget the most important part of seasons - PLANTS, flowers in the spring, red/orange/yellow leaves in the fall
    Biome changes? Would it be tile based like in Terraria(ebonstone/crimstone/pearlstone)?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Smetanol

Smetanol Starship Captain

1) Sadly enough, I don't know, how star systems will be visible
    2) If you imagine earth sliced in half, and will look at the cut at the perpendicular, then you have idea, how it can look, or you just can imagine coloured disc with colours of ground and foliage
    3) Not sure, that you really need that, I think that can be done without modifying worldgen, and as a result you can avoid creation of new planets/world
    4) Yea, we already saw ice generation in terraria, to make clouds you can create "ghost blocks", that can be passed through, and will change their state, depending on weather
    5) Different speed of planet rotation, that will result in different time of day on different planets; and speed of orbit rotation, that will result in different speed of seasons; but actions, like smelting/production must stay the same on all planets, though plants must grow depending on speed of day and seasons.

8. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I would cherish the chance to land on a forest planet and stick around to watch the leaves slowly transcend into the colors of Autumn, to see the branches sway in the cool breeze. How cool would it be to watch the temperature gauge on my utility watch drop gradually as the seasons change? In fact, how wicked would it be to watch newer monsters sleep in the protective embrace of their lair until the winter has subsided?

It would be amazing, and it MUST be a thing.

PurpleSquirel43 likes this.
  9. xalar

xalar Big Damn Hero

NPC's lives would drastically be effected by the seasons. not many people sell winter mittens during the blazing summer.

PurpleSquirel43 likes this.
  10. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm going to vote yes but i agree with Ironpaw, they will not be coming ANY time soon

11. Conor785

Conor785 Pangalactic Porcupine

well a variation would be great on planets although i also agree they are not coming any time soon

12. Medkit

Medkit Subatomic Cosmonaut

Randomly generated weather patterns/Season cycles would be cool! Starts off pretty simple on level 1-2 planets, with just rainy seasons, dry seasons and cold seasons. Might rarely find planets with a snowy season or an acid rain season or something out of place. Then you find planets that have 'airless' seasons, 'acid' seasons, 'snow' seasons and so fourth in 3-4.

I just imagine more crazy seasonal structures. The higher the threat level of the planet, the more dangerous the seasons.

xalar likes this.
  13. Medkit

Medkit Subatomic Cosmonaut

Weather machines created to prevent certain dangerous weather/bring on certain appealing weather would be totally awesome as well!

radaloff likes this.
  14. xalar

xalar Big Damn Hero

I like the
    idea.

Medkit likes this.
  15. radaloff

radaloff Orbital Explorer

Love the idea of season. I hope that this is implemented early after release if they're not already working on it.
    But also believe that if they're going to do it they should do it good, and not just give us snow blocks or something. So they need to take their time with it. Then it will be worth the wait for it as well.

Also like medkit said,
    It would be super awesome to have special weather effects that happen with the seasons, especially on higher tier planets, Love the airless one, Maybe perhaps a meteorite season, or asteroid field is too close during part of the cycle. Lava fall from the sky at certain times of the year, or even all through the "year"(however long that may be) And it happens way more often during certain seasons. Think about flaming grass cause the air is too hot, Think ice that you can't stop or soo cold you can't move. Think crazy floods that fill half the desert world and then just as fast as it came is a desert again. Rapid seasons, where a day in real life is like 4 years on a certain planet with multiple seasons that vastly change over a few minutes time. And maybe eclipses that happen and everything freezes. Possibly boss's that show up randomly on a certain seasons. The possibilities are endless, Only limited by our imagination and the time that people are willing to put into making this game what it could be.

All these are the reasons that i would gladly wait for them to do it right. Cause this would be what i consider right :)

16. xalar

xalar Big Damn Hero

What about a wind season, where blocks like sand will fall to the left or right on top of their usual gravity

17. GrekkaTarq

GrekkaTarq Aquatic Astronaut

I like this ideas.

18. Endelerius

Endelerius Twenty-three is number one

I would love to see a planet that has been sunny for the majority to suddenly be covered in snow once winter starts.
    You have my vote.

19. Virtual Trident

Virtual Trident Starship Captain

I would love to go back to my Home planet after many months of traveling across the universe only to find all of my captured creatures dead from the cold weather. +1

EDIT: I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but considering you go FTL when traveling with your spaceship, would traveling and then warping back to your homeplanet affect the seasons?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Endelerius likes this.
  20. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

That necro, man.
    It's, literally, been almost 5 months since it was last responded to.

Look at the date of the last post, and if its over a month or two, don't respond unless you have something REALLY important to add.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.