Digital SDV Requests (OPEN!)

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by desbro, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

What about Sadie Carmen? Carmen can be used as a last name, though less commonly than it is used as a first name. She could maybe go by Carmen while on the job, but lets people she gets closer to (and doesn't have to bring the law down on) call her Sadie? I think it's be interesting if she had some 'feminine' likes that she hides because she is/was told all the time that being a law enforcement officer was 'hard' work, and thus only suitable for men. Maybe she likes manicures or pedicures, or buys dresses that she never gets tomwear because she doesn't get to go to events except while on duty.

If we have an idea we'd like to see, do we just post it how we imagine them, or do a little bio and it gets bounced around until you can chew an image out of it?

...Also, while I can't commit to it because my health is a demented yo-yo and I have projects I am working on, would it be okay if I were to- at some point- color your works? Also, what program do you use? Because I use SAI, and if whatever you use is compatible, you were okay with me coloring thimgs, and you were willing to send the layered file (if you still have them) if would help with the coloring thing, because redoing the artist's lines takes a fair bit of time, though far less than what the line work artist put in to make the line work.

Edit because I just realized my tablet ate half my comment.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

I think we just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks :p

• desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have no real format for requests! Nothing too structured or it feels a little too much like I'm working on commissions again, I like to have a little artistic freedom, but if you have ideas, just stream of consciousness them at me!

• M.Car

OOH, Marcella? Marcie?

• desbro

Marcella's a nice name!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Gender-ambigious travelling warrior? Shows up during Fall and Winter, after joining the Adventurer's Guild and hitting floor fifty of the normal mines? Wears combat-style boots and fingerless leather gloves, and long pants but is otherwise lightly dressed? Maybe a vest or jacket and a scarf, either a back scabbard or hipe scabbard. Maybe a scarred injury over one eye, which they're (partially?) blind in as a result... Travels with a big wolf-like dog (maybe a monster-dog hybrid.) Hopefully I didn't make it too detailed of a description?if I did, I'm sorry and can remove detail, or you can draw whatever details you like and discard what seems like it interferes.

• desbro

Gender-ambiguous traveler-- see, you've tapped into my niche there, but the rest (please don't take this offensively, I honestly do not mean it in any aggressive way) sounds like you've just described to me, every anime anti-hero in existence and those stereotypes rarely inspire me. What sets them apart?

• desbro

Here's what I managed to come up with!

[​IMG]

rhomboid likes this.
                  • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I'm not offended, I was kind of grasping at straws for clothing since it's kind of hard to make clothes for an explorer type character that aren't cliché, but are also practical. So if it's those that are the issue, please, please feel free to draw whatever you'd like, clothes and equipment wise. (Though a polearm like a glaive, or naginata would be an interesting change of pace.) Appearance wise, that they are gender-ambigious is really the biggest point I would want.

If you mean personalit/history wise, I made a stream of conscious blob, in the spoiler tags below.

They have a thing for animals of every kind-as long as it isn't actively trying to eat their face off they will pet said animal. When they aren't participating in an actively dangerous activity, they're ridiculously clumsy. As in, trip over a pebble clumsy-because they wind up zoning out and being distracted by any and everything that is even vaguely pretty in nature. They're very social- they'd spend days telling you about everything they've seen and done, and then be perfectly content to sit and listen to you tell them about the hundredth time watering your radishes.

They're utterly oblivious about dirty jokes, flirting, anything like it goes straight over their head. They are horrible at telling when someone is joking or using hyperbole- they take almost everything a person says at face value- as in they are the sort of person you could say 'hold your horses' to, and they would either ask 'what horse?' or grab hold of their horse's reigns and mean it. They love flowers in any form- as a decorations, for the smell , as food, or wearing them as flower crowns; the more brightly coloured the flowers, better. They hate the dark for all that they spend so much of their time in mines, dungeons, and other ill-lit places- they turn back as soon as they have only ten torches left.

They started out just hiking across the lands for amusement same, and the dungeonerring and monster hunting came later, forest out of necessity then for the money. Most of the money goes into payng for their younger sisters' educations, and what's left goes into prepping for the next stop. They haven't stopped to think about what they'll do when they get too old to dungeoneer for a profession, and they don't have any degrees, not even a GED. They issues reading, maybe due to a mild form of dyslexia. The fact they don't have a degree of any kind effectively estranged them from their parents, which is a sore spot for them. They dated a fellow adventurer for several years, but after an injury scared him into retiring, they broke up due to their unwillingness to quit. They first stayed in Stardew Valley in fall and winter because it's warmer than the other locations they get work in, and then they kept coming back because the mine is reliably stocked with monsters, and the Adventurer's Guild has steady work-and when it doesn't, they can always sell minerals and mob drops. If the were in game, they could be used to purchase a random assortment of minerals and mob drops, on Mondays and Fridays. They would sell said items while standing inside the entry room of the mine, which is also where they sleep.

So that's what I came up with through stream of conscious. Is that better? I actually don't mind changing or expanding more. I try to write, and I would guess that this would be considered good practice in making non-flat characters. I hope that it makes sense, though because it kinda jumps around. Hopefully I didn't make an ass out of myself by interpreting what you meant wrong.

Edit: Holy crap, you drew something awesome in the time it took me to even try to expand on them. I love it.

• desbro

I ran with it! Went for a very androgynous look, slimmer to make it harder to tell to which side of the spectrum they fall. I think everything you wrote could easily fall onto what's been drawn! Could expand or subtract on gear, tats and the like but for a general representation?

• rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

andro is my preferred aesthetic :nurunaughty: ehehehe

• M.Car

Marcella grew up in Kozu city. Her mother was killed in a mugging when she was 10, and she took on a motherly role for her six year old brother. Helping to raise him while her father tried to pick up his shattered life, losing job after job, Marcella vowed that she'd do her best to keep anything like that happening to anyone again. She threw herself into self-defense courses, learning to fend for herself and protect her family when she wasn't supporting her father in his depression. In high school she was captain of the school's Stickball team, one of only two girls on the team, making finals twice and winning a regional championship the third time, while also pursuing a career in law.

Initially, she hoped to be a judge or counsel, but after intervening in another mugging, she realized she wanted to be on the streets helping people. She shifted her focus from Law to Law Enforcement, and blew through the academy exams, graduating with a job in the Kozu Waterfront Precinct. On the beat, she helped stop and solve her fair share of crimes while simultaneously working to uncover the identity of her mother's killer, until one fateful day during a bust on a counterfeit truffle-oil distributor her partner was shot and killed. Reeling from the loss, several of the crime family managed to get away - including the murderer of her partner. The whole operation was viewed as a farce, and the commissioner, embarrassed, made some calls to get her reassigned to a small town where she could catch a breath and get her head on straight.

In Pelican Town, she still keeps in touch with her father-now retired, and brother-a moderately successful cafe owner in Kozu city. Still working her mother's case, especially with how low the crime rate is in Pelican Town, Marcella hopes that the relaxed pace of life in the country will give her the clarity she needs to finally solve her mother's murder, and return triumphantly to Kozu City.

(and obviously she changes her mind as you befriend her, learning to appreciate the slower-paced and relatively peaceful town.)

I'm thinking 'Stickball' is like Lacrosse.

• desbro

I too, dig the androgyny thing, but... I guess I also like all the other things, LOL, so you know. I just like variety with art stuff.

• rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

i'm digging your art in general! especially because i'm not at a place yet where i can properly get out what i'm going for.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

You drew a very awesome general representation of them, especially on making them gender-neutral, and I especially like the neck tattoo/choker (both are equally viable options) you have them. I also like that you made their main sword arm their left one, and that the hybrid-dog is rather obviously standing in their blind side and thus protecting that side. That pauldron is kickass looking, too. The shirt also reminds me of a tunic which is a suiting clothing option for them.

The hybrid dog is so fluffy looking, that it makes me want to pet him. He just looks so soft. The little vertically oriented eye is a really nice touch, too!

You really did an awesome job, and I am glad you drew them. Seriously, thank you for taking the time to draw them. If it's okay with you, I'd like to add it to my free-time projects list in the form of coloring it. I would do it either digitally or with colored pencils. If I did color it digitally (which would work better, I think) I'd go back over the lines to have a more defined area to color, and maybe add tattoos or designs on the clothing, which is why I am asking. Didn't want to just move ahead and alter it without asking, sincce it'd be rude to do so. I would post it here after I got done, if you wanted. (I would actually enjoy coloring all of the drawings you've posted so far and probably those you may post in the future, but again, I wanted to ask before doing.)

• desbro

Sure thing! Just credit "detou" if you end up coloring it! I'd be interested to see what you come up with!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

So this is what I've managed today in about 6 hours work, so this is a WIP. I am by no means a professional obviously, but hopefully the coloring job isn't too awful. For the record, the original work is on 50% opacity here, to show what hasn't been colored/relined by me yet.

Rowan color WIP6.png

Gonna continue working on it, but need to stop for today.

(Linework obviously done by Desbr/Detou, coloring by me. Some edits made, with artist permission.)

rhomboid likes this.
                                    • desbro

I like the colors! I'm partial to redheads though.

I only recently noticed what you work in, in an older post, so I don't know HOW useful this will be, but... Here's the SAI file (I also use Sai and a combination of other programs like CS6 and Krita.) It's big, as I tend to work at high resolutions and shrink down as needed!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Currently off my computer and on tablet because of reasons, but depending on how the SAI file is (layered, etc) it could be very useful. If you still have them, I may ask for the files of the other characters when I finish with the one I am working on now, if you wouldn't mind me coloring the others should I get the time.

• desbro

Oh, of course. I do everything layered, but it's mostly just the sketch file at higher resolutions, you'd still have to ink over it. The only difference is transparency and larger size.