1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[sbuniverse.net] Starbound Universe: Painstakingly Mapping the Stars

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by stumblinbear, Dec 7, 2013.

1. stumblinbear

stumblinbear Cosmic Narwhal

That brought to my attention two problems, one, I had a restriction on searching(had to have at least 3 options chosen to search) to bring the load down from my server, and the fact that I dont need that anymore :D
    Also, there are no airships in the database yet :speechless:

2. stumblinbear

Added common searches under the search area, I'll make it look prettier after I get back. :D

3. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

Surprised nobody has said this, but you should really add a column for game version the seed was found in. Old seeds can easily be out of date due to changes to world gen and other stuff.

4. stumblinbear

Sounds like a good idea, but whenever it updates with world gen, I just purge the database and start over because there is no reason when you cant backdate it.

5. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

well you can backdate it or decide not to update but really can you honestly say you'll know every time seeds change? And if you were to just wipe every update then actual still working seeds would be lost.

6. stumblinbear

The devs usually say when the generation changes, and I check after each update on 10 or 12 of the seeds to see if they are no longer working before purging. Having 3 different versions of Starbound coordinates on the site could be confusing for people who don't know the current version or who don't bother to check.

7. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

No actually they don't always note changes to generation, there are alot of less notable changes thrown into those updates that don't get mentioned. Checking 10-12 seeds each update is very time consuming I'll be surprised if you can keep that up. The version is plainly noted in the main menu of the game and on the launcher, as well as there being on the main page of the website, and on top of that you could easily note the current version of the game on your website.

8. stumblinbear

You make a sound statement. I'll think about it. :3

9. stumblinbear

Thinking about adding a rating system; concerned about database size if I do it.

10. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

i may have look at this

11. stumblinbear

I think I may have figured out a way to make the rating system without using up too much database size. You can expect it to be included soon :D

12. stumblinbear

This. Is taking longer than expected.

13. so every universe wipe, when coords all change, do you wipe the site clean and start over?

14. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Aren't dungeons/villages ALSO randomized? I could swear I went to a specific planet who's coordinates I'd logged after a universe wipe and a completely different dungeon was there instead of the one I remembered.

Also, I'm looking for a particular system that doesn't seem to be on the list. Does anyone know the coordinates to the X Zerus system?

Speaking of, I notice in the search it asks for planet name. Aren't the planets all just named after the star in numerical order?

Like, the Zerus system would have Zerus I, Zerus II, Zerus III and so on...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  15. Passage

Passage Space Spelunker

When you say universe wipe, do you mean that you manually deleted your universe, or that a patch wiped worlds? If the latter: Patches only wipe universes when worldgen changes.

16. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I can't remember. I remember manually deleting my universe at one point but I can't remember if that was before or after the discovery.

Anyway, I visited the exact same planet at the exact same system coordinates twice and it had a different dungeon each time.

17. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Has the OP wiped the StarboundCoords database yet? I have a coord I'd like to share with this new update :V

18. stumblinbear

Sorry, had to make sure it actually changed. (Even though it said it did xD)
    Also, you can still submit coordinates, it stores it in a seprate database for review :3
    Purging the database now.

Edit: Okay, purged and ready for more coordinates :D

nababoo likes this.
  19. stumblinbear

Updated the site a bit to make approving coordinates easier for me. Also, voting is almost complete!

20. stumblinbear

Added reputation to the website! Enjoy! :D