1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed SBDiagnose FAQ

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

This space intentionally left blank.

DisableSteamOverlay:

SteamCompatibilityMode and StarboundCompatibilityMode:
    HsSrvDll:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Please include a check for SB installs in %ProgramFiles% / %ProgramFiles(x86)% (Or ACLs, I guess).

Or maybe you already are. Or.. will. I'll move along.

3. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Q: Can it help fix my freaking game? If so, how?

4. BeLe

BeLe Big Damn Hero

So apparently Run as Admin is part of compatibility mode, and can cause issues itself?

5. RvLesh

It won't 'cause' any issues per se. But having "Run as Administrator" enabled in Compatibility settings is an indication that the program couldn't write to some part of the installation directory. Usually because it was installed to c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Starbound , and Steam is running as Admin.

If that's the case, first you should disable all of the Compatibility Mode options for Steam and Starbound.

Then, create a new Steam library (via Steam > Settings > Download) in a location that doesn't require Admin access (such as c:\SteamLibary, d:\SteamLibrary (if you have a secondary hard drive) or even c:\Users\<YourUserName>\Documents\SteamLibrary ), then uninstall Starbound (completely) and install it to the new library [Alternately, you can use Steam's backup/restore to backup the game and restore it to the new library].

IDEALLY, you should install all of your games to the new location outside of Program Files, to avoid this issue with other games in the future.

(Also, please place bugs in new threads, not here :) -ed.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    bartwe likes this.
  6. BeLe

BeLe Big Damn Hero

My comment was more because a number of guides around here and on Steam recommend making sure Steam isn't running in compatability mode, and setting starbound up to run as admin.
    SBDiagnose however feels the need to tell me the game is running in compatibility mode, when that's all it's set to do.
    It pointed me here, and there's no information here except a few names in the first post. So I was a little confused.

I've got my game running off of a 2.5 inch USB 3.0 external hard drive. A WD My Passport series. X:\Stem
    I'll have to set up my fiancee's game to run outside program files though, hers runs pretty bad.

Also for further information I'm running an HP Pavilion dv6. Product code LK237AV. It's got an AMD 6520g and 6750m on the same die I think, as I have to use HP's provided driver that hasn't been updated since 2011 to utilize both GPUs.
    Starbound runs ok for the most part. If I'm trying to run a server and play at the same time it performs a bit worse... and the main thing I wanted known (and probabaly already is) is that the game has significant performance loss around a farm that stretches my screen (1366x768) with no player-placed sources of lighting. Actually I think I have a screenshot somewhere...[​IMG]
    This happens without my glowing effect or lantern stick as well.
    It also performs significantly worse around glitch castles, floran villages, floran "hell", apex towers/towns, apex labs, Airships, and that's all i can think of off the top of my head.
    Interestingly it doesn't seem to perform worse in avian towns.
    I know the engine hasn't been fully optimized, I don't feel like I'm complaining, just providing my feedback. And I'm posting it here because the performance drops are what made me want to run SBDiagnose in the first place. I turned compatibility mode off for all of the game's executeables and the issues persist.
    Here's what SBDiagnose spits out:
    Code:
    Number of processors: 4
    Processor architecture: x86
    Processor: AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
    ProcessAffinityMask: 0000000F
    SystemAffinityMask: 0000000F
    WindowsVersion: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

EnvAppId:

Done.
    On that note this is a 1.4GHz quad core. A6 family. Not sure what the clock speeds are on my video card(s) but it's got 6GB of 'shared' RAM.
    I'll throw her system info in here when I get the chance, and describe her issues then as well... unless this needs to be moved, in which case I'll throw the info where-ever it's moved to.

7. Xilo

Xilo Subatomic Cosmonaut

hmm, i have steam on its own HDD separate from my OS drive, all compatibility options were turned off (and at one point i even did the regedit fix for compatibility as well as the registry key is still gone) but the diagnostic is saying its still in compatibility mode. what'd i miss? i got the starbound Exe and the steam Exe checked, no compatibility or run as admin set on any of em.

Henry Wotton likes this.
  8. FlyingBacon

FlyingBacon Poptop Tamer

I, sadly, don't know the slightest about coding and yet my Starbound diagnose brought me here. Anybody care to help a poor sod like me out?

Colton and AdenSword like this.
  9. Phorge

Phorge Void-Bound Voyager

Scanning System

Number of processors: 2
    Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000003
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000003
    WindowsVersion: 6.0.6000

EnvAppId: 211820

Environment Compatibility Flags: VistaRTM ElevateCreateProcess

Steam is running in compatibility mode.
    Running steam in compatbility mode can cause stability and performance problems.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/sbdiagnose-faq.52470/

Starbound is running in compatibility mode.
    Running starbound in compatbility mode can cause stability and performance problems.

Done.

Any help would be welcome

10. RvLesh

Steps to disable Compatibility Mode for Steam:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153387315

You also want to check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WoW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Layers if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows.

Also look for and remove Starbound.exe and Launcher.exe entries.

11. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

yes could someone please tell me what the heck this is?

12. Kin0806

Kin0806 Space Hobo

Scanning System

Number of processors: 4
    Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    ProcessAffinityMask: 0000000F
    SystemAffinityMask: 0000000F

The Steam Overlay has been detected.
    Disabling the Steam overlay may improve render performance.

Environment Compatibility Flags: ElevateCreateProcess

Done.

Any Help? PLZ! ^^

13. IAmTheMilkMan

IAmTheMilkMan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yea... the diagnostic thing brought me here too, What does this do? How do i disable the steam overlay to improve render performance! 13 fps is tiring!

EDIT: ALSO does this update fix the song bug? whenever i pick play to play a song the game closes

14. RvLesh

Disable Steam Overlay:

Right-click Starbound in your Steam library
    Click 'Properties'
    Untick the 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' box
    Click 'Close.'

mawihtec likes this.
  15. Xilo

Xilo Subatomic Cosmonaut

hmm i went to look for the steam and starbound Registry keys for the compatibility fix but they werent even there. the diagnostic tool insists its still being run in compatibility mode. there something im missing?

16. MiniLink

MiniLink Void-Bound Voyager

TrinityMoon likes this.
  17. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

Okay, so, this is a bit strange, but I will post this for others that are code-illiterate like myself.
    Notes;
    • Game ran fine before latest update, even with heavy mods. (save for a few minor bugs)
    • Latest update, didn't run. Ran SBDiagnose, told me Starbound was in compatibility mode. Turned off "Run as Admin" in the launcher's properties: Ran.
    • Here is where I'm at now; Game runs fine, heavily modded, but I'm still getting a missing .dll error upon running the launcher. (MSVCR71) Will try to un-install and re-install. Be back in a moment.
    • Re-installing fixed the issue.
    I hope this helps any others with similar issues.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    Gregs69 likes this.
  18. murillokb

murillokb Void-Bound Voyager

Scanning System

Number of processors: 2
    Processor: AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3, AuthenticAMD
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000003
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000003

Environment Compatibility Flags: ElevateCreateProcess

Done.

no problem here :)

19. Canman333000

Canman333000 Void-Bound Voyager

20. RvLesh

"...MSVCR71.DLL is missing..."

If this is NOT causing the launcher to FAIL to start:
    Ignore it for now.

If this is causing the launcher to FAIL to start:
    Download the latest version of OpenSSL (1.0.1e)
    BACK UP the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll files in your Starbound\win32\launcher directory.
    Replace the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll files in your Starbound\win32\launcher directory with the ones from the OpenSSL package.

The latest OpenSSL binaries are available here http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

--------------------
    @bartwe This is an OpenSSL dependency. 1.0.1e has moved to the VC2008 libraries. The VS.NET C redist isn't available at all on Win8.\
    --------------------

@literallyeveryoneelsehere Please stop posting new issues that AREN'T DISPLAYED in the diagnostics here. I'm just going to start reporting your posts. (YES, I know this post breaks that demand.)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.