1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Safety Question.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by gotTodance, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotTodance

gotTodance Sandwich Man

Hey i tought i already could activate my Key on Steam when i bought it some Minutes ago, but i just see a CD Key (from the email Link) wich doesn't work on Steam.

It's just my Mail got already hacked this Year (China) so i'm a bit worried if it happens again, he could easy steal the Game as long as i'm not able to link it on my Steam Account.

2. DeadlyGamer5

DeadlyGamer5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's because Neither the full game nor beta is out, and the pre-order isn't on steam, so you will have to wait until beta is out before you can activate it on steam.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Yeah, that's your issue; it's not available to be redeemed yet. Until then it's not really of any use.

4. SLOW_oranges

SLOW_oranges Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm, the game isn't ready to be redeemed on Steam, but it is worrying for your account to get hacked, especially if it happened once. I guess you just have to keep your account details secure and hope no one does it again.

5. DeadlyGamer5

DeadlyGamer5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or you can try changing your password, make it complicated. I use 5 different passwords set on rotation. all of them are at least 10 characters.

Boomlyecho and SLOW_oranges like this.
  6. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Wat

SLOW_oranges likes this.
  7. Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking Big Damn Hero

He might live in Hong-Kong, where they have a city-state relation ship with China.

8. failcake

failcake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Write down the key on a paper and delete the mail. I wanna see them hack your paper.

EarthBound, Jonesy, Evinagro and 8 others like this.
  9. SLOW_oranges

SLOW_oranges Pangalactic Porcupine

Hacking paper, that's so next-gen.

10. I think they might mean something like this (the bottom two screenshots). Gmail will tell you something like: "We believe your account was recently accessed from: China."

11. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

The key isn't for steam, it just looks like a steam key. It's for the redeem page at: http://playstarbound.com/redeem/YourK-eyGoe-sHere

12. gotTodance

gotTodance Sandwich Man

exactly this , he hacked first my itune and from there he gone over to my Gmail Account.

Yeah i already did this, but if i'm right i get another email send once the Beta goes Online , not sure if there is the same link in there.

13. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

This basically

And maybe do the safety dance for good measure

SLOW_oranges and Jonesy like this.
  14. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Russia tried to hack me once I think. But I believe I have 2-step on by then so they got nuffin~

You might want to do 2-step auth if you have a cellphone that can use it. Makes it a lot harder to hack your account. http://www.google.com/landing/2step/
    The catch is it's also a bit of a pain getting things up and running when you switch, 2 step will work for some google things other require you make an app-specific password. The 2 step is just it will as you for your password, then for a code from your phone (time sensitive, will change about every minute) the app-specific is just a random password it will create for the app (and thus if an app get "logged out" you will have to remove it's password and generate a new one).

The other option is to go the XKCD route and make a hard to crack easy to recall password ala https://xkcd.com/936/

Either way that should make your email less hackable. As a last resort if somehow your SB key does get stolen when the time comes I am sure Chucklefish and/or Humble support could help you if you take a snapshot of the log showing you were indeed hacked. I do not know for sure though.

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Normally I would post the video of Adam Jensen dancing to that, but I'm too lazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.