Running Under Wine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DukeOfRiven, Feb 26, 2016.

1. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Been trying for the last few hours to get this to run under WINE on a Mac, and thus far no success in either a wrapper or a CrossOver bottle. Anyone else have any luck?

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

What is WINE again?

• DukeOfRiven

It's a way of running (or trying to run) windows programs on Mac or Linux systems. In this case, it involves running Steam under WINE, and then hoping an installed game can be coaxed into co-operating.

• WorMzy

WorMzy Master Chief

I'm on Linux, but I got the game working by creating a new win32 wine prefix, using winetricks to install dotnet40 and xna40, and setting winecfg to XP mode and emulate desktop (at my full native resolution). I used steamcmd with
          Code:
          @sSteamCmdForcePlatformType "windows"
          force_install_dir /home/wormzy/Downloads/StardewValley
          to override platform and download location, then logged in and ran
          Code:
          app_update 413150
          Following that, I exited steamcmd and ran
          Code:
          wine /home/wormzy/Downloads/StardewValley/Stardew\ Valley.exe
          Seems to work fine. The first time I launched it I didn't have sound, but subsequent launches do. YMMV.

• DukeOfRiven

I don't suppose you or anyone else knows how to break that down for a Mac-using Wine newbie who only knows how to use Winebottle Winery and CrossOver?

iammenasco likes this.
            • WorMzy

WorMzy Master Chief

• dreamseizer

dreamseizer Void-Bound Voyager

I've been trying to get it to work as well. I downloaded the game's .exe file from GOG so I wouldn't have to worry about Steam, but every time I try to select the .exe file in the Wrapper, it keeps sending me into Drive C where I can't really do much. Will get back to you if I figure something out!

• HonorableJulian

HonorableJulian Seal Broken

I installed dotnet40 and xna40 under wine (without problems)
                (Thx to WorMzy)

now i ran the Valley.exe in wine. i got this error

[​IMG]

"
                No suitable graphics card found.
                Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef profile
                Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.
                Make sure the desktop is not locked , and that no other application is runing in full screen mode.
                Avoid running under Remote Desktop or as a windows service.
                Check to display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to Full.
                "

I found this interesting:
                https://steamcommunity.com/app/313470/discussions/0/619568192867075067/

Maybe there's a better solution?

I have an ATI graphics card.

Thanks

PS
                Under PlayOnLinux/Wine it wasn't possible to install xna40. When i launch the game it says (Steam) "installing the .NET Framework" and after a second it just does nothing. Without any error message.

edit
                I have to check wine 1.9.4 bc i have an older version ...
                also try this guide by Viomi
                http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/stardew-valley-on-linux.106833/

console output under wine 1.6.2:
                wine /home/jules/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/c/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew\ Valley/Stardew\ Valley.exe
                fixme:actctx:parse_assembly_elem wrong namespace L"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2"
                fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer failed to parse manifest L"Z:\\home\\jules\\.PlayOnLinux\\wineprefix\\c\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Stardew Valley\\Stardew Valley.exe.manifest"
                fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x33fc04): stub
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"xTile"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
                fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000052
                fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33cba8,0x00000000), stub!
                fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x2) : stub
                fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0xb66ad2, (nil), {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 1, 0x33e4a0, (null), (null), 0xebf7a0,): stub
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.resources"
                fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.resources"
                err:eek:le:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
                • mrwaffels

mrwaffels Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everybody,

I managed to run stardew valley with playonlinux under ubuntu 14.04.
                  First i Installed Steam via Playonlinux, with wine-version 1.8-steam_crossoverhack, then I installed additional components:
                  dxfullsetup, dotnet40 and xna40.
                  My Hardware-Specs:
                  NVIDIA GeForce GT 730.
                  Intel Core i5-4460 CPU.
                  I hope this is helpful.

Zeroxxx likes this.
                  • DukeOfRiven

Congrats to everyone on Linux, I imagine if I hadn't spent the last... hmm... eleven hours trying to get this to run on an Apple OSX Mac my congratulations would sound a touch more sincere. I must have installed dotnet40 and xna40 more times than anyone in history, and I've downloaded Stardew Valley itself at least, oh six or seven times. Closest I've come in the same error you got, @HonorableJulian.

With no disrepect meant to a developer who clearly worked his ass off for years, and plenty meant for the byffoons who started the OS proprietary nonsense wars, does it strike anyone else as kind obscene that a game with the same graphics fidelity as the SNES's Chrono trigger is so damned difficult to run on more than one OS?

• Pacatus

Pacatus Intergalactic Tourist

Spent hours trying to get this working, with both the Steam (refunded) and the GOG versions. Tried in a couple of Windows VMs (VMWare and VirtualBox) and WineTricks, PlayOnLinux... My issue with both Wine and the VMs appears to be getting the XNA Framework to install/work correctly.

My System:
                      Linux Mint
                      NVIDIA GeForce 750M
                      Intel Core i7

I think I'll take a break for now and try again later, I really want to play this game, but I don't want to dual-boot.

• iammenasco

iammenasco Void-Bound Voyager

This could be related: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/no-suitable-graphics-card-error.106819/

From what I've found, it could have something to do with Integrated Graphics Cards, and the way the XNA Profile was set up upon development.

As a Mac user, I can also get the game to run in VirtualBox... but the game is choppy and any clicks, mouse movement, or typing has a unplayable lag. I, too, have been unsuccessful with any Wine solution and receive the error talked about in the linked post.

dreamseizer likes this.
                        • dreamseizer

dreamseizer Void-Bound Voyager

That's unfortunate. :( Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully CA sees this and decides on a Mac release, especially considering the success of the game on its first day. For now, I guess we keep trying, and/or wait for a more knowledgable person to give us a clue.

• tomthomas

tomthomas Space Hobo

No, it doesn't. There is a concerted effort to make things this way (in this case by Microsoft and their XNA garbage). Being the owner of an Apple product you should know this more than others. Apple will lock up any technology they possibly can and only use open standards when there is nothing to be gained from not (ex. GNU utils). The iPhone, and the new Apple software model was the last nose deep dive into the world of walled gardens, proprietary software stacks and development languages, and tightly controlled distribution methods. If you vote for this with your dollar by purchasing Apple products, then you have little right to complain.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
                            • DukeOfRiven

So you castigate Microsoft and then castigate me with Apple? I'm sorry, is there something I can purchase that runs all software equally, thus freeing me from having to choose between a large software library or a stable operating system?

No?

Then maybe I do have a right to complain. Maybe, as a consumer, I naturally have a right to be upset with the paucity of options available to me, that I'm forced to choose between two shitty options - and having used, paid-for, and worked with both Windows and Apple for decades, yes, I think they're both shitty options and I think I have a right to bemoan the shitty state of the computer industry.

• Zeroxxx

Zeroxxx Space Hobo

thanks, i never thought this would work, i had errors all over the place during xna and dotnet installation... but it friggin WORKS! (using GOG version)

Lifesaver, this needs to stickied.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016