1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripping sprites for a spritesheet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ReddBlackwell, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ReddBlackwell

ReddBlackwell Void-Bound Voyager

I'm trying to get sprites of my character, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Is there any way to go about doing this? Can anybody share their wisdom with me?

2. Athauxan

Athauxan Pangalactic Porcupine

Sprite sheets for the races can be found in \Starbound\assets\humanoid

3. ReddBlackwell

I saw these, but I just didn't know what to do with them considering they're just naked bits and pieces as opposed to the clothed, colored version of my Floran.

4. Athauxan

Ah I see what you mean. I don't know of a way to get a sprite sheet of a full character, so I can't be much help in that regard. The modding section would probably be your best bet. I recall seeing some programs that had this ability to some extent.

5. ReddBlackwell

Alright, thanks for the help, man. Any particular programs you saw that you would recommend, or?

6. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

If you're willing to really dedicate to this, you could take the assets from the humanoid folder and the appropriate armor folder AND fully color all of them (They're all brown for use of the color system). Other than that, screenshots are your only option.

7. Athauxan

The SBSE web-based save editor here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...ize-your-player-colors-using-any-color.50849/ appears to have the ability to generate the character's appearance based off the .player file. You could try asking them how they achieved that. It'd be a start at least.

8. ReddBlackwell

9. Jon FineTails

Jon FineTails Intergalactic Tourist

May i ask were i can find that?

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Character sprites are created by layering sprites over one another. Literally armor sprites are just overlays on the body. The colors are achieved by some internal coding to alter sprites based on set colors. Different frames are then called up from the spritesheets depending on the actions you are doing in game.

SBSE probably just reads the player file and constructs the character in a similar way to the game, so don't count on getting a sprite sheet out of it.