Right Click With Furniture to Alternate

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Bonabopn, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Have you noticed that some furnitures come in Horizontal or Vertical varieties? (Eg: Tall/Wide Fluorescent Lamps, Horizontal/Vertical Hazard Tape)
    How about making them the same item, but you right click to change between them before placing? c:
    Maybe this idea could be applied to change other items into slightly-different-but-still-sorta-the-same items.
    This could also be added to certain doors to rotate them into 'hatch' varieties. (Not regular doors, but ones like Ship Doors and Apex Security Doors).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    DrVoodoo, Jerln, JessesanMan and 10 others like this.
  2. Badprenup

Badprenup Ketchup Robot

I would like most background decorative objects to be rotated freely in 90 degree increments. You could make awesome houses that look like wrecked ships on their sides and stuff.

3. Bonabopn

I feel this suggestion didn't get the attention it deserved because of how simple it is, so i'd like to bump it once just to see if the community takes an interest this time. c:

Relten and Phlosioneer like this.
  4. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

That's clever, it's annoying to have my inventory full of slightly-different items, and the current way that placing items that do change is really frustrating.

This could also solve the oh-so-annoying dirt problem: What if every time you encountered a new color of dirt, that color was added to a "dirt colors that you've encountered" list. Any dirt that you happen to pick up is stacked on existing dirt, changing its color if need be. This way, dirt would stack efficiently and we wouldn't have to go grind out purple dirt despite the fact that we already have 40 stacks of the blue stuff. This same concept could be applied to stone, which is in the annoying habit of having a "normal" stack and a "special" stack. Just because. Obvsiously, since this list might get quite long, it would be best to have other ways of navigating different types of dirt.

If you wanted to take this to an extreme, you could fundamentally change the way the interface works, as items are often grouped into, for example, tomb blocks, which come in unmarked, small, large, dark and something-else-I-can't-remember varieties. If they all stacked with each other, then out inventories would be far cleaner and less of a nightmare to find something.

5. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

I'd love that, just to rotate stuff.. that'd be really great.

6. Daxesh

Daxesh Void-Bound Voyager

It is a pretty good idea and would add more flexibility to a lot of items

7. Bonabopn

It wouldn't work with blocks, as right-clicking puts them in the background.

8. Pseudoboss

Shift-click?

9. Bonabopn

Shift click switches from 2x2 block placement to 1x1 block placement x3

10. 8-BIT Gorilla

8-BIT Gorilla Astral Cartographer

Tab-Click? o.o I like the idea, it gives more flexibility to create amazing stuff.

11. Pseudoboss

ctrl-click? Middle click? alt-click? navigate a little menu? Shift-scroll-wheel? Alt-shift-click? modifier key left/right click?

12. Bonabopn

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Relten likes this.
  13. Bonabopn

Okay i want to bump this again because of the recent unstable update, and i really want to use Avian Ship Doors horizontally!
    Plz chucklefish. Plz.

14. Darth Omix

Darth Omix Void-Bound Voyager

World needs more horizontal doorways.

Bonabopn likes this.
  15. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Please don't necro threads unless you have something meaningful to contribute.
    Also - http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/better-doors.2119/

Will allow you to turn any doors horizontal.

16. Bonabopn

Relten and The | Suit like this.