1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse-engineering The Glitch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by El Barto 227, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Spike

Spike Supernova

Yes, but why is positron better? For all I know, (and I know nothing) positrons are like wireless signals (I'm not basing this on anything; that's a wild guess), and shouldn't that make it more susceptible to magnetic radiations?

2. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A positron is an electron with a positive charge instead of a negative charge, not a wireless signal. the main cause of them is beta-plus radiation

3. Spike

Spike Supernova

Then in that case, wouldn't positrons be disrupted by regular electrons? That just seemed like a terrible idea for a transmitting material, unless it never comes in contact with any normal matter that contains electrons.

Edit: I just read Wikipedia about positrons, and they sounded like the antimatter of electrons. Why use such an unstable energy source instead of the good ol' electricity in an insulated copper wire? It's much easier to make, and it won't blow up when it comes in contact with normal matter.

4. El Barto 227

That's exactly the point I was making

5. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, positronic brains is all Star Trek stuff. A more logical route for glitch brain development would be a mix of quantum and optical computing. The essence of the brain (the memories, emotions, IQ) however would be in its software.

6. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

The way I'm conceptualizing it is that the positrons are supposed to interact with the electrons, which leads to tiny controlled explosions (perhaps analogous to a chemical reaction one might find in an organic brain.) The emitters can only emit positrons so often, which prevents larger explosions.

It's not an energy source, it's a CPU/nervous system. One which can perhaps simulate thought more accurately than a simple binary processor (or electrons flowing mindlessly through a predetermined network of wires.)

7. LordHavoc

I see - what your proposing is a non-consistent flow of processing power (or speed if you will); with the same inconsistencies that an organic brain demonstrates. But I ask, what mechanism would you use to control the rate at which positrons are emitted?

8. Bumber

It might be easier to control the collisions than the emissions. Maybe something to absorb the positrons and their energy release? Or perhaps you could more easily control the presence of electrons. Less electrons, less frequent collisions.

9. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, then instead of having controlled explosions, why not just used a controlled signal, operated by copper wires, electrons, and a rubber insulator? It can be used to process binary signals much better than controlled collisions, and it works pretty well in our computers.

The creators of the glitches are cruel, cruel people then. Or they may be using positrons to prevent the glitch from opening up themselves, and reprogram themselves to their own end. A sort of a control, if you will.

But I still think wired signals are the best way of signal transmission; wireless signals provide freedom of movement, but I still think wired signals are pretty stable, and proves to be a good signal transmission mechanisms between parts that generally doesn't move that far away from each other.

10. georgetakei

georgetakei Space Spelunker

tl:dr

for real tho

11. Davarpe

Davarpe Void-Bound Voyager

El Barto 227, Spike, since in the character creator you can select a big amount of heads, both theories maybe "playable", since some heads behave more like the positron and some other with the wire system, and a big group could suit both, letting the player decide wich one preffer. Just instead of talking about wich one is better or not, let's complete them more so that anybody can choose one of them!

Xefs likes this.
  12. Spike

Spike Supernova

Cool! i am satisfied with this answer.

13. El Barto 227

There's still the problem of positronic brains is that the gamma radiation produced by electron-positron collisions can penetrate several metres of concrete.
    (btw, i am arguing against positron brains, just to clarify if there is any confusion)

@georgetakei, two problems. 1: I don't do tldr's, and 2: this is not really something that can be shortened to a sentence or two

14. Spike

Spike Supernova

Oh! Oh! Lemme try!

Uh....

Glitches are.... robits.

*Scene*

I want my Nobel Prize.

15. El Barto 227

*Hands Spike a Golden Cookie*

16. Spike

Spike Supernova

No! Delectable pastries made with rare metallic compounds are my only weakness!!!

*Dies*

17. El Barto 227

Umm... Thanks for leaving a dead body for me to clean up?

18. LordHavoc

A bit like cooling rods in a nuclear reactor...could work, would be very random though - with excess you would have the problem in the post below.
    You could go back to controlling the emissions by using lasers to produce the positrons. But then you're left with the problem of entropy; that is only on the assumption that you want the brain to last forever though. Since it's an artificial lifeform, it should exhibit a lifespan; so we can scrub that entropy problem as a 'feature'.

My thoughts though would be to scrap positronic brains and focus on quantum instead. This is due to the low-energy requirements

19. Davarpe

Davarpe Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, and answering the question of "how do they built they're children". I imagine that the stuck Glitches won't be able to build new roboparts, since they don't know the technology. And if you continue reproducing without a death rate, the planet will end up full of Glitches, so, maybe Glitch would be able to recycle they're death roboparts. But how do they die? I imagine that apart from being killed, "poisoned", etc, they could also have a kind of Planned obsolescence to reproduce the age and "natural death" of the fleshi things, leaving many roboparts to collect. Also that may explain why some heads in the character creator are a little broken.

20. Bumber

The problem is that our computers absolutely suck at anything that isn't related to numbers. How does what is basically an advanced calculator develop culture? How does it develop a preference of art and music without feelings to judge them by? I mean, I suppose they could run a simulation of a regular brain within their processes, so there might be that.

Not copper wires, though. Tarnish too easily, too fragile, too boring. Carbon nanotubes.

Scrap positronic brains. It was interesting trying to make a made-up sci-fi term work, but there are better ways to do the same thing. Perhaps a silicon-based human brain like the cylons of BSG. Quantum or optic are possibilities. (Are they pretty much the same concept as the regular computers in that they work with binary, but with efficiency increases?)

The parts are manufactured via 3D-printing, which the parents then assemble. The Glitch heal with nanomachines.

Xefs likes this.