1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Restaurant at the end of universe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mahna, May 14, 2017.

1. Mahna

Mahna Void-Bound Voyager

No that is not asking if there is one, but rather a question of continuity. How much of my universe is unique to each of my characters. I remember back before release that there was a bug once that cause all characters to share a starting planet, when it happened I ended beaming a brand new character down to a starting world that already had a house on it with all the machines needed for tier two gear.

Right now one of characters is building a giant garden out of glass blocks if I enter the co-ordinates for that planet into my navcom will my other characters be able to land at my garden?

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

If they share the same universe, yeep

3. Mahna

Mahna Void-Bound Voyager

Perfect, I am just going to build a hive city then. Shame I haven't found a wrecked planet to build on.
    I assume that means if Nuru and the gang are hanging around the ark then they share a universe.

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That's one of the ways to assure that, yea :D

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

It is all shared, the universe that is. Also note that the universe is so big, that chances of stumbling across the place are slim; unless of course you have the coordinates of the place. Each world is its' own file.

I didn't really like it when we started on the same planet way back when. Of course that was mainly to easily test things to progress the beta further to completion. Far as I know. Glad they changed it back to being semi-random placement within the universe. After all even before that same planet time people were put on random planets. It has always been a shared universe, just not always the same starting planet.

However even saying that each person will have a different universe since it is their computer. So multiplayer will get tricky at that point. Characters may share the universe, however it does not mean players do, unless all play on the same computer or/and server. The things that remains reachable throughout the beta and now, is that we can share coordinates of places that the default generation does; since the universe seed is the one thing that is the same between computer.

Universe seed is what makes the universe, similar to how minecraft is where if entered you will get the same generation of the worlds. There is a way to change the seed number, but not everyone knows, including myself. Just know that it has something to do with the universe files, unless there recently has been some other way found out. Anyway that is roughly about what I do know of shared universes; at least for as long as I had the game. :nuruhappy: