Respawning - Not Cloning, Please - Teleport Idea

Discussion in 'Other' started by Shiokuri, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Recently a lot of people have been against the cloning respawn, and I am one of those people. I know a lot of people will be against this suggestion just because they are with the cloning idea, but please, when you post, try to be unbiased and actually judge the idea on whether you like it or not, not on which idea you like better.

From the space ships we have seen, not one of them has held a cloning device. This has led me to believe that the cloning device will be located at the space station we have heard so much about.
    However, for me and many others, we do not feel very into the idea of being clones.
    This has led me to creating the idea of a teleport which will replace the cloning method.

Aboard the space station, a massive teleport relay system waits for the perfect hero to use it's power. Upon visiting the space station you activate the teleporter, and it surgically installs an emergency escape chip into your body. For some humor, the teleport is a massive scheme to gain money, because when someone uses it they are forced to pay a fee (the devs can make this more humorous than I did).

The emergency chip is a chip that monitors your health, and upon realizing that you are in extreme danger (at critical health), you are forcefully teleported from the area back to the space station, where the machine instantly heals you and then spits you back out, after taking a payment of course.

This idea is better for me for many reasons. First of all, it does not turn me into a fake clone, it means I am a real person who isn't just born in a machine. Second of all, it provides an easy explanation for a money fee.

People will say we can not teleport from underground, but this is a special teleport, it is extra large and specially powered and even costs money to use.

People will say we can use suicide to leave an area, but guess what, we can do that with cloning too...

Tell me why you do not like this idea and I will gladly reply and listen to you. I personally do not like cloning, and I understand many people have a different view from me, but I would like to see how you feel.

Btw, this idea wasn't constructed very well. This is purely because I am lazy and want to do other things right now. This doesn't mean I don't care about my idea, it just means I am a lazy person. :)

Edit: I believe I forgot to mention that cloning makes no sense item-wise. I don't understand how a clone can somehow get the now-dead-you's items. Teleporting would fix this weird issue.

Antumbra, XeToRoG, Raeden and 6 others like this.
  2. Scruffy

Scruffy Pangalactic Porcupine

There could be a way with cloning where your subconsciousness will be transferred to your new body therefore it's still yourself but in a new body.

okay, Maw and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  3. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

I think that both ideas have their pros and their cons.
    but I pose this question to anyone reading this.
    Since all these ideas are fairly interesting for a Sci-Fi game, is there any way to choose one while creating your character?
    Using something similar to the shirt/pants/hair switch, choosing what identically functioning but theoretically completely different respawn system you prefer to use, even being able to include a "none" to signify hardcore mode.
    that would allow for all sorts of players to get along, I think.

Interesting idea, although in such a vast universe don't you think there could possibly be room for multiple respawn features which have essentially identical functions?

Maw, RustyJ and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. The Enlightened Grue

why do the inferior apes get sophisticated teleportation technology?

Maw and Treadlight like this.
  5. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

Hmmm, perhaps this could be an alternative to the cloning respawn, say this would be the hardcore mode where you lose money on death, but the normal mode is free with cloning for people who don't care about the idea of cloning. (I play the Borderlands games, I am perfectly happy with cloning at this point).

Also, may I point out that it is rather offensive to call a cloned person fake, clones are living breathing beings with hearts and brains like the rest of us. (You should watch the doppleganger episode of Doctor Who, really hits well on the subject)

ArchmageZandor and Treadlight like this.
  6. The Enlightened Grue

between you, me, and the blue text; of course I do.
    I couldn't care less if they were piloting stars!
    No ruddy ape outshines humans!

Maw, Treadlight and WoxandWarf like this.
  7. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

With cloning you lose your stuff. With teleporting you lose money, which, if you've played most any game that uses a money system, you get tons of it easy and relatively quickly. The only game I've ever played where after some hours of experience you don't get obscene amounts of money easy is Wanderlust. I'm just saying that cloning at least will make players be more careful, and as suggested by someone else in the forums, gives you the possibility of showing for sure that you haven't died. Cloning just seems like an all around better option once you put together all the options. A compromise however is to give you an option whether you want cloning or teleporting, kind of like Softcore and Mediumcore in Terraria. And then Hardcore for those who wanna die permanently. Just spitballing to make everyone happy.

8. A pretty cool idea, though I think I'd rather go with cloning. They've already integrated the whole "cloning" respawn, probably.
    The whole "detecting that you are in extreme danger" reminds me of the suit from Half-Life, always saying "User Death Imminent"

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  9. The Enlightened Grue

I'd be perfectly alright with losing stuff if the following condition was fulfilled :
    I can loot it off my corpse and/or I can save schematics for a (limited) number of weapons and gear at my space station.
    but too each their own.
    If teleporting WAS added in this manner, I believe that it would have to follow the following rules :
    A) usable through a user equipped item > it does not occur automatically.
    :cool: it must follow normal teleportation limitations as already stated

Miuub likes this.
  10. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm glad to see you came up with an alternative idea for it, that's something :)
    First of all, I must say it's not a bad suggestion.
    But the thing is...
    Seems like the majority is on the side of the Cloning Respawn, which fits perfectly in a game like this. And it's already decided by the Dev team.
    They are not changing it, that's for sure: Maybe some people don't like the idea, but what about the people who really like it?
    It just would be too much to take away something that pleases many just to relieve a few. Kinda selfish in my opinion...

I'm sorry, but I truly don't think they will replace their method with this one.

11. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

I would like to say that a robot has the chance of being the same thing.
    A robot could send a constant stream of all its memories into a chip at the space station, so when it dies the chip goes into a new robot but contains the same memory.
    Doesn't really have anything to do with the other races.

12. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

For the geeks: Teleporting its kinda like cloning, Cloning just make a new body out of fresh materials, Teleporting rips you apart in a Cut and Paste kind of way.

I still don't get why people keep refusing the Cloning idea, its absolutely ridiculous how they are so against it. It's a Sci-Fi game with a Sci-Fi explanation to respawning. Also the Emergency Teleport system will not make sense if you get blown to bits by an explosive or fall and melt into a lava/acid river, it will simply make no sense.

Dagorran, Grulul, Kitty Box and 7 others like this.
  13. The Enlightened Grue

indeed.
    let me put some real eye-opening stuff out there for teleporter fanboys.
    Teleporting is essentially an incredibly fast and lethal method of cloning.
    Unless we are looking at some sort of Portal or Hyper-Space tube which literally connects two points in space-time to allow instantaneous corridor like travel, what you've got is a cloning system.
    This cloning system will work by copying everything in one end, and recreating it at the other end while simultaneously destroying it on the original end.
    What does this mean?
    Well, in short it means that classic sci-fi teleportation is actually a combination of involuntary cloning and surprise suicide.
    The process happens so quickly that you never realize it did before you are dead, and your clone never realizes that it DID happen because of how swift and "perfect" the process is, as well as what you expect from it.
    Teleportation in this manner is also incredibly exploitable, because in theory it can be used to make a sizable army of anything, simply by dismantling the post-cloneaportation disintegrator on the "senders" end.
    This also means that in such a reality, a clever man would never hunger, nor thirst, nor want for anything.
    Quite frankly, teleportation of this style is really an incredibly over-elaborate cloning method, and you should really logically think this through.
    Also, before anyone opens up the "what about that beam of energy that goes from one pod to the next with you in it" bull, try to realize that what is being sent would actually be a data-packet protected by a heavy energy casing to be decoded and used by the cloning device on the other end.

Is my rant done yet?
    No clue, ask me some questions and let see what else I've got waiting for ya.

14. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I'm one geek that doesn't find teleportation to be that gruesome (Surprise Suicide lol), but yeah its along that track of thinking.

The Enlightened Grue likes this.
  15. The Enlightened Grue

of course it isn't gruesome.
    Instant vaporization via the scattering of every individual atom you are composed of generally isn't.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  16. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I'm also one to think that the Ray of light its not only information of your physical body, but the materials that where part of it, after all matter can't be created or destroyed, only transformed.

But then again, that certain law of physics gets so raped and ignored in Sci-Fi it usually isn't fun to even mention.

17. The Enlightened Grue

physics? logic?
    dude, check the calender.
    its XXXX99!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

So, whats stopping the OP from making his own connotative definition of teleporting where he doesn't "copy and replace the atoms" but rather does send them? I think that would be an easier solution to the retorts against what teleporting "actually is".

19. The Enlightened Grue

Science Fiction wars, put simply.
    quite simply an attack of "Our two ideas cannot co-exist, and therefore we must fight to dominate what people normally think of when they think of teleporting and other such things".
    although to be "slightly" realistic, what your referring to would be a method of physical travel so swift that it wouldn't be worth it tomake teleporters on the technology, since small personal "shuttles" could be much more cost effective and allow for greater mobility.

20. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Well not really, The OP is the one creating this idea. He's not posting this up for argument on what teleportation means. All he has to simply do is make it so his idea suggests we "move" instead of "copy and paste".
    No argument, or you could make another thread. That's why there's multiple threads in forum websites.
    And I don't really think being realistic is an option in this kind of Sci-Fi game. I mean they're already implementing in cloning. I seriously doubt that anyone cares about the true economical cost of teleporting.
    Also if such a thing was possible from a press of a button, I don't believe a shuttle will save you in about 2 seconds of falling into lava or such.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.