Modding Help [RESOLVED] Testing a custom event mod, when the dialogue box froze.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by IronZelly, Dec 17, 2016.

1. IronZelly

IronZelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So it's my first time modding and I was inspired by randomAnon123's Jas Event Mod and Siv's Marriage Mod and tried my hand at an event mod by following their guides and learning based off the coded events that are already written in the game. My intention was to write in a test cutscene where the player is introduced to Morris (the Jojamart guy) as soon as they arrive into town to establish the rivalry/conflict right up front and also introduce Shane, since his dynamic with Morris was somewhat overlooked (which is a shame cause, it would've further cemented Morris's role as an antagonist and helped create incentive for players to want to talk to Shane for reasons outside 100% villager hearts completion). That being said, it's also just a test mod despite seeming ambitious enough to at least help me learn the mechanics of coding a lot faster, though I could still use some help.

After tweaking some bugs, I managed to get the cutscene to run properly (although I intend to adjust the dialogue and camera a little more later). The first line Morris says comes out fine, but after a brief pause, this happens:

[​IMG]

When what should've happened is this:
    /speak Morris \"Say, would you be interested in a Jojamart membership?$0#$b#We sell seeds at Jojamart 24/7, perfect for whatever nonsense you're doing.$1\"/pause 300/speak Morris \"What's more, with a paid membership, you get a 50% discount on EVERYTHING at Jojamart!$0#$b#Surely, you can agree that it's a fantastic business opportunity?$1\"/pause 300/
    I wonder if this is cause a dialog tree is supposed to come up with two different responses, but I can't tell if it's interfering with the code I wrote because I haven't managed to make it past this specific spot of the event where Morris's dialogue stops yet.
    If there's anyone on this forum who has a solution to what's causing this, please let me know what can be done. I'm also attaching a text version of code I wrote from the .yaml file I was editing for a proper inspection. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I really need to start working on this too. I have an idea for an event chain around Marlon and the adventurer's guild. I hope you get everything sorted out!

• alumie711

alumie711 Aquatic Astronaut

Hi IronZelly!

I found the little culprit in your script. It is the / in "24/7" that breaks the code.
        I tried escaping it using \ before / but it didn't work. I guess it is not the correct escape character or there is no escape character available in the dialog.
        The way to go is using "24-7" instead.

I enjoy the cutscene a lot so please continue with your work!

Here is the file with "24-7" fix and I also tweaked the exit route for Morris and Shane so that they stay on the foot path.

Attached Files:

IronZelly and Roskii Heiral like this.
        • Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't really offer any help here but I'd love to see this cutscene in-game! <3

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Great find. I can't count how many times my mods have been screwed up by a tiny thing like this xD

• IronZelly

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the help! I never thought one '/' out of place could cause so much trouble.
              I tested things out (including both dialogue options) and the event works great! Just need to fix the path Morris takes (since he's meant to be facing Shane when he blows up on him), slow down the pacing of the cutscene a little bit to make it flow more naturally, and make some last minute tweaks and it should be salvageable! :mwahaha:

Jokerine and Roskii Heiral like this.
              • Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woot! Hope this gets released soon. I wanna see this so I'm holding out on starting my playthrough :p

• IronZelly

Jokerine likes this.