Modding Help **RESOLVED** Game won't launch if mod is in assets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by cypherdtraitor, Dec 12, 2013.

1. I made this mod for a shortbow (it is essentially the hunting bow right now, I intend to change the damage later.)

Unfortunately, the game will not launch if this folder is in the assets directory.

Would anyone be willing to take a crack at figuring out what is wrong?

**RESOLUTION** move assets to a separate folder and mirror the file structure of the /assets directory. Then modify /win32/bootstrap.config to include the separate folder.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  2. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

try making it assets/items/guns/shortbow rather than assets/cyphers_mod/shortbow

Wait, you say not launch, which means it's trying to read it but gets a problem. At least I think so.

Can you try to run it again, and post your starbound.log

3. I got errors this time! I didn't get errors last night!

And the starbound log is interesting. I cannot upload .log files to the forums, so I uploaded a .txt.

Thank you for your assistance!

Attached Files:

4. tifel100

Error loading player file, ignoring! - Seems like either your playerfile seems broken or idk.
    Access violation detected - Seen it before, but I'm not sure how to fix it yet.
    Btw, Delete shortbow.functions

5. I've deleted shortbow.functions. Do you know what shortbow.functions was supposed to do?

Also, it seems unlikely that my player file is to blame. The game runs fine if my mod isn't there.

6. tifel100

Did you try it without the .functions? If so does it still gives the other 2 errors?

And the functions, every bow uses bow.functions so you don't need to create another, just make sure if it was mentions in any of your files, you change it from shortbow back to bow.

7. Yes, I deleted the .functions file

I'm sorry about the delay, it takes as long as 5 minutes to launch the game with the broken mod folder there. I'll post the error messages as soon as they pop up.

8. It appears the game is hung at the loading screen. I've tried twice now with the same results. The .log file only updates when I kill the program.

Attached Files:

9. tifel100

same with shortbow.damage now.

10. I have deleted .damage and am trying to launch again. Hold please...

11. Hung again. I'm going to try rebooting.

12. Alright, we are down to just one error! View attachment 63800

I just says "StarException: No player species defined"

followed by a bunch of hex code.

Attached Files:

13. tifel100

The log please. Also, I can't zoom the picture.

14. the log

Attached Files:

15. tifel100

Seems like you have 2 items named shortbow. You might have another shortbow.gun lying around somewhere.

16. I searched the directory structure under assets for "shortbow" and only my mod uses the name in the filename.

That said, shortbow is a pretty likely name to already be used as an asset. I'll add a suffix to it and try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

17. tifel100

Yeah, Just change the itemname and try again. Imma go sleep too :D

18. Update: Changing item name to shortbow.c made the game launchable, but I could not craft the bow. I'll keep tinkering.

19. tifel100

What do you mean not able to craft the bow? It might be that you didn't put the recipe in correctly.

20. Specifically, the bow did not show up as a crafting option.

I've attached the last version of the mod.

Attached Files: