Modding Discussion Request: Camera object

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, May 25, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Basically, an object that, if it receives a wiring signal, attempts to move the camera focus of a player to its position (similar to the Oculus Reaver's Scout Eye special), preferably in combination with another object, which would help tell it which player or players focus to move (basically, any players in range of the second "detector" object would have their focus moved to the first "mover" object said detector is wired to). Why I would want something like this? A: for build screenshots and B: for setting up better cinematics for custom missions.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I made something similar but it's an handheld item, as only them (and cinematics) seem to be able to move the camera.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Perhaps making a wiring object that creates a projecile with a configurable status effect (the configuration being chosen by interacting with the wiring object) would work better, since it has an easy way to affect the player. I mean, as far as I know, status effects can use lua scripts, which can do pretty much anything in this game, right?

4. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, but Lua tables (activeItem, statusEffect, player...) may or may not be available from a script's context; here, the activeItem table can only be accessed by a script running in the context of an activeItem. As another example, the "monster" table is only available from a script running on a monster

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I think I'm going to play around with this myself. As for ways to get access to the activeItem table, I wonder if I can get the status effect to spawn an invisible, temporary activeitem somehow.