Modding Discussion Request: Axolotl-style Hylotl Tail mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Mackinz, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

So, there is a tail mod for the Hylotl like there is for Avians, Apex and Floran. Can't say I like it much, because Hylotl are not fish - they are amphibian-like, and they are based off of these salamanders (the Axolotl):

[​IMG]

I want Hylotls with a tail, but I don't want a fish tail... Perhaps someone could take up the challenge of making a new tail mod for the Hylotl with an Axolotl-style tail?

Because of PNG compatibility issues, I'd be happy to help with compatibility edits - I just can't sprite well.

LOL BALL likes this.
  2. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

You didn't like the Newt tail from the mod?

3. Mackinz

Needs to have larger fins, at least.

4. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

I just started one, but it's super rough at the moment. About double the size of the newt tail. If I get bored of it, I will pass on the graphics wherever they are at.

A related question though: what are the colour values that are automatically recolourable? My armour pieces thus far have been rather static since I don't know this. One would definitely want the fins to match the individual's flesh & fin colours.

5. Mackinz

Just use the same colors as the base hylotl sprites. These values can be found in json but it's not necessary to change them.

6. 1nfinitezer0

Here's the quick & dirty version. Haven't done the animation tests to see if it's fluid, but hopefully it's enough to get you started. :hylotl:
    axolotltail.png

7. Mackinz

I can't test it. Not at my computer. You can, though, with a quick overlay of the vanilla hylotl spritesheet and a quick mod ala ATF.

8. CFFaccount

CFFaccount Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]

It doesn't need too much shifting around to match up.

Mackinz likes this.
  9. 1nfinitezer0

Here is my latest version. Mackinz this one is a few frames updated on the running animation and a fin-ray effect, which may be aesthetically divisive.

Anyone can use this, just copy it to any "back.png" of what you're wearing often.

CC3.0 BY-SA
    [​IMG]

Mackinz likes this.
  10. Mackinz

Now if you could make it apply to the base character images like Avian Tail Feathers does for Avians, that would be great. Climbing sprite included.