1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a weather pattern from a planet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Feb 25, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Idly wondering if there's a way to go into a .WORLD file and tell it to STOP DAMN SNOWING on a planet. I like this forest planet. It's nice. There's not a single snow-based biome anywhere on it. Yet... snow. Covering my nice stuff.

Can I do this without breaking the planet? I'm not really one for modding but this is obnoxious, having to go over everything and remove the accumulated snow.

No, "find a new planet" isn't really an option, as it looks like "snow" happens on all of them regardless of biome contents.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You can do a mod to remove it but it would require regenerating the planet.

Alternatively, you can mod the snowing weather to not leave snow on the ground.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Let's go with the latter one then. I don't mind the snow falling, it's the accumulating that's obnoxious. How does one go about this?

(It'd be nice if that would melt away or get washed away by rain...)

STCW262 likes this.
  4. lazarus78

IIRC weather like that use "projectiles". So it would be a matter of removing that projectile from the weather. I did it for the sand storms that actually accumulated sandblocks. (IIRC these were removed?)

Ill do a test and see what I can figure out.

Edit: Getting a planet to snow 24/7 is apparently hard to do...

Well I cant seem to get a planet to actually snow for me... but anyhoo. In theory, you should be able to just patch out the "projectiles" section of the snow.weather file.

Code:
    [
      {
        "op": "remove",
        "path": "/projectiles"
      }
    ]

That should do it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When the snow projectile touches the ground, what does it become? A "grass" that is painted as a snow?

I've been wondering if the snow "grass" can actually have timer and melt after a while. Would it consume a lot of memory?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  6. lazarus78

The projectile spawns a "mod" to the block. An overlay basically. Technically ores are "mods" too.

As for adding a timer to it, I don't think so. You can ad a TTL to the projectile, but i doubt for a block.