Modding Help Remove a SAIL mission

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by projectmayhem, May 15, 2017.

1. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

My mod added some missions to SAIL, however, when uninstalling, you crash whenever you open SAIL because it looks for the missions. Is there a way to go into your files and remove the mission off SAIL? I'm removing it from my mod so people do not have to worry about uninstalling ruining their game.

2. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm guessing the only way is to modify your .player file; one way to work around it could be to make a "dummy" mission for it and pack it as a "fix"

3. projectmayhem

Hmm, tried deleting the missions from the player file, but character vanishes from the char select screen

4. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

It is difficult to remove things from a player file, more often than not the character will simply disappear from the selection like yours did. Most mods (like Frackin Universe for example) will simply warn the user that their mod will cause the player's game to crash or simply not work right in some instances when uninstalled, they all also recommend that the user backs up their characters and universe folders.

5. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@projectmayhem What does your log says about missions or your character?

6. projectmayhem

@Cyel Someone complained about it on the mod page, so I got rid of the mission stuff and tried it myself and I got this error

(MapException) Key 'missionjeditemple' not found in Map::get()

Only happens when opening SAIL though. I got rid of the character so I can't get the full error log.

7. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

To my knowledge, missions and quests completion and fails are stored within the player file. Data of the mission/quest will be read regardless if the mod had removed it or not; characters that have pre-existing missions tied to them will become unavailable for playing if the base assets don't exist. Can't read what doesn't exist!

To my understanding there isn't an easy/viable way of 'removing' a mission. What Cyel recommended might work; making a dummy file for the mission so it technically exists but is not reachable or accessible by normal means, and leads to nowhere. This will make it so new players will not have to worry about the mission, and old players will keep their characters without having to make a new one or having to resort to character-editors.

Another possible alternative is using the "/failquest [quest]" command, which will, as it describes, fail the given quest. However I'm unsure if this works for missions.

Bad comes to worse, the playerbase will have to make a new character. It's quite an annoying and bothersome choice, but it works.