Tool [RELEASE] Starbounder - Navigation Made Easy

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RaxiCax, Feb 4, 2016.

1. RaxiCax

RaxiCax Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]

Hello you, who is reading this!

Welcome to the original thread about Starbounder. Before continuing to features, whatsoever, I like to tell you some information about this tool and what it is made for. This 'application' is for people who likes to mod Starbound. However, sometimes it can be annoying, that you have to keep folder open and lose track of your folder. Don't worry! It got everything (okay, not "everything", but it has nifty features!). Interested? Continue!

Starbounder would never have been so useful as today (version 1.1) without lazarus78 for giving feedback and suggestions! Basically what I'm trying to say is. Feedback, suggestions and commenting will have an impact, on developing Starbounder, thanks!

Table of contents

- Features
    - Upcoming features
    - Information
    - Requirements
    - Download
    - Screenshots

Features
    • Create/Load Projects​
    • View your mod and assets files in the view​
    • Automatically finds your Starbound folder​
    • Unpack Starbound Assets (creates a new folder, where the application .exe is)​
    • Website tabs with categories (Guides & Mods).​
      • Guides : Website(s) with modding guides.​
        • Starbound Forum (Original) : Thread with tons of guides​
      • Mods : Website(s), where you can upload your creation (account may be required)​
        • Starbound Mods (Original) : A website from Starbound.​
        • Nexusmods : A website containing mods, from any game modable.​
    • Generate files​
      • Armor (".head", ".chest", ".legs", ".back")​
      • Weapons (".sword", ".staff", ".gun", ".thrown")​
      • Tools (".miningtool", ".harvestingtool", ".beamaxe")​
      • Items (".item", ".matitem", ".liqitem")​
      • Others (".consumable", ".frames", ".animation", ".png", ".liquid")​
    • Templates​
    Generated files contain MOST of the JSON, but not every attribute is a requirement and have not been tested properly. However, a solution is now available! Templates! This feature allows you to create your own templates or schematics you use frequently and place them inside the folder 'templates' and a menu will be created. Then it just right-click in the mod directory and click.
    UPCOMING FEATURES
    • Settings will be transfered to a file instead of application holds it.
    • Splash Screen when lauching (Option to disable it will be available) Will be released in another patch.
    Requirements
    Starbounder is created in a language called C#, and uses the framework .NET Framework 4.6.
    This means only Windows users can use this program.
    I'm so sorry Linux and Mac IOS users.

Shortcuts
    • New Project -> ALT + N​
    • Load Project -> ALT + L​
    • Delete -> DEL (Menu has to be open)​
    • Rename -> F2 (Menu has to be open)​
    • Refresh -> F5​
    • Starbound : Play -> F12​
    • Hide -> ALT + H​
    • Exit -> ALT + F4​
    Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    MysticMalevolence and danks_ like this.
  2. RaxiCax

Noone?

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I.... think this is flipping genius...

Quick navigation with a file hierarchy, directly launches necessary programs... This is probably the most useful tool I've personally see.

One request perhaps? Could it have an option to be on the other side of the screen? I use the left side of the desktop fairly frequently.

Also, a potential bug? It opens notepad++ when I want it to open an image with gimp, and some of the file types like .structure and .animation do nothing.

Relten likes this.
  4. RaxiCax

Thanks. The option to flip it to the other side is done and the file types will be supported in next version.
    Now the bug. What image are you trying to open?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the bug. I forgot to change the method to the image one. Sorry.

5. lazarus78

Are the supported file types only what you have listed? Cus there are a LOT of different extensions used by starbound. Even if you dont have some sort of default template, just being able to double click and open is a huge boon.

6. RaxiCax

When I find a way reverse the process I will. I don't have to generate the file, before it can open. The supported files are a string array containing each extension.

EDIT: I just updated it to version 2.
    EDIT 2: Do Starbound only use .PNG? If so, I might be able to support all files.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. lazarus78

To my knowledge, yes, all images are in png format. Everything else opens in text editor.

Another issue. Trying to open a png, it loads up gimp, but not the image.

8. RaxiCax

Okay. If all images are in .PNG extension, all text files should be supported now. Additional the image editor should work properly. I appreciate the bugs report ;).

lazarus78 likes this.
  9. lazarus78

Get an error when trying to open png files. The error is from gimp, but its talking about steam and not being able to find the starbound folder.

Also, Im now realizing I also use the right side of my monitor as well. Would a moveable "snaps-to-edge" interface be possible? I actually have 2 monitors. I absolutely love the functionality of this program, I just hope being able to set it up with my workflow is a possibility.

And while Im at it, perhaps a second column for having the starbound assets listed, as well as the current mod Im working on, since I reference them both a lot.

Feel free to say no to any of this, I am just throwing out a wishlist. :rofl:

Honestly, if this is where you left the program (Bugs pending) I would be thrilled.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Relten likes this.
  10. RaxiCax

I like the ideas. I will get to it and see if it's possible. The snaps-to-edge is new and might be better than a button moving it for you.

lazarus78 likes this.
  11. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Lol, I was thinking right this morning to develop an app like this one for modding :p
    Do you need to have any .NET tool installed for this to work?
    It gives me an exception when I try to create a new project.

Captura.PNG
    Captura2.PNG

12. RaxiCax

Sorry, you need a .dll. I will add the .dll to the github release page. Next update, I will place everything in a .zip.

13. RaxiCax

The program is now in BETA!

New features:
    - Move the program to another window or edge!
    - Assets view is now available, if set or if unpacks.

EDIT: Updated the .exe for bug fixes.
    - Both editors can now open files with space(s).
    - Asset label is fixed in configuration menu.
    - You can now right-click a folder in assets to open it.
    - File generation was creating files in a child folder instead of the selected one (parent).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    lazarus78 likes this.
  14. RaxiCax

New features:
    • You will be able to change the orientation of the splitter (double click it).
    • Website tab with categories (Guides & Mods).
      • Guides : Website(s) with modding guides.
        • Starbound Forum (Original) : Thread with tons of guides
      • Mods : Website(s), where you can upload your creation (account may be required)
        • Starbound Mods (Original) : A website from Starbound.
        • Nexusmods : A website containing mods, from any game modable.

15. lazarus78

all seems well. everything seems to work as expected.

One final request? Sorry, I don't want to sound greedy or anything.

Perhaps the possibility to adjust the width of the whole thing? The vertical columns can get a little hard to see when you have things 3-4 folders deep.

Outside of that, I think it is basically perfect at this point.

16. Chloron

Chloron Subatomic Cosmonaut

COoollL!! I can't even type

17. Crome

Crome Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It wont launch for me, do I need to download the .NET Framework for it to work, or is it something else?

18. RaxiCax

You need the .NET Framework 4.6.

19. RaxiCax

Version 1.1 (bump):
    - Templates
    - More generated filetypes

20. RaxiCax

Perhaps new tools for Starbound?