1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships between races

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dannyboy8899, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If i remember correctly, in an old book it says that some Florans love to listen to the aware Glitchs (and some times chewing them) while they are teaching them things.

But i cant remember the codex name nor if it was only a part of the old versions of Starbound and if it has been removed : /

2. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, in the Human Census codex (still in game, not removed) it is mentioned that humans do settle outside of Earth, though limited only to certain kind of people: travelers, fleet crews, and Protectorates. I think you can count USCM too.

"Colony" can be understood in a non-American sense. It can be understood in European sense, i.e. "colonialism". So, although humans do not "colonize" (as in, settling permanently) other planets, I would suspect they practice a kind of "colonialism" similar to what Europe practiced a few centuries ago (as in, temporary settlement in other worlds to extract their resources to home).

Starbound humans seem to practice the exact type of center-periphery model of economic relationship of our world, where, in Starbound universe, Earth serves as the center of "vitality and peacefulness" (Human Census codex) while other planets as a source of natural resources to exploit according to Earth's needs. This is indicated from your encounter with various human miners in volcanic planets when you play the game.

USCM might be the military forces playing their part to ensure the extraction undisturbed.

Hmm. I beg to differ with the list. If you don't mind, my suggestion would be:

Change on Human to colonialism (in European sense, which is extractive colonialism) with electoral democracy. Extractive colonialism for reasons I mention above (in the previous post). USCM, then, is the parts and parcel of human society. Electoral democracy... because it's "democracy", but people have no actual power to engage in state policy except through voting. Hence it's only electoral. I make this conclusion because it's the most practical forms of government when you have one Earth under one government (and since the humans don't seem to be that diverse anyway).

Change on Apex (Miniknog) to totalitarianism. I think I'm just straightening a slight misunderstanding. Totalitarianism is the form of government, communism is its direction of policy. A society can be totalitarian while ascribing to a very liberal (market-driven) policies: e.g. Pinochet's Chile, Soeharto's Indonesia. Totalitarian means state controls almost everything, including the tiniest bits of their citizen's life such as how many kids we can have. Also a great emphasis on the cult of leadership. Also it's almost always a dictatorship (e.g. oppressive rule). Which seems to characterize Apex government, with Big Ape being all-seeing and all that.

Change on Apex (Rebel) to... I don't know. Rebellion is never permanent, it's always ephemeral until they achieve their desired goal. But a counter to a totalitarian government would be a Marxist one, I think. Collectivist, organized movements. Especially since Apex rebellion doesn't seem to cease any soon so it sounds like a permanent Marxist class struggle.

Change on Hylotl to a state corporatism/industrialism. IMO Hylotl doesn't hint a feudal society aside from their 16th century Japanese armor. In fact they have what 80s Japan had: arcade machines everywhere, implying a Japanese stressful corporate culture (the harder you work, the harder you play). They also seem to embark on a mission of spreading the word of peace, similar to Japan's cultural policies in that era (creation of pop culture industry such as anime to be spread across the globe). So I think we have a strong corporate culture on Hylotl, with the state supervising the corporatism working.

Change on Glitch (Hive) and Glitch (Self-Aware) to... just one Glitch? Was it ever implied that there are opposing factions in them? CMIIW.

Change on Novakid to... nomadic societies, such as gypsies. It is mentioned that Novakid has short term memories, so they never permanently settle anywhere and build technologies. So, despite their 19th century American theme (which would require mass industry) they seem to be closer to nomadic societies. It can be the gypsies (the caravan already fit), or societies who practice shifting cultivation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shifting_cultivation ) like 19th century Siberians or the Dayaks in Indonesia.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
    Kalteas likes this.