1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships between races

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dannyboy8899, Jun 30, 2013.

1. EpsilonEagle256

EpsilonEagle256 Pangalactic Porcupine

I got my info from the avian lore in the first newsletter, so I uhh, don't know how the rest of the races fit in, sorry

2. colorbeam

colorbeam Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm extremely excited to see the relationships between the Novakids and all the other races, specifically because the Novakids aren't very good with them. :D

3. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

All in speculation, lets just think about the different races "personalities"
    We know the Florans are carnivorous, the Apex are somewhat "communist", the Glitch are Medieval, The NovaKids are "hyperactive" cowboys, and the Avians have sacrificial tendencies to their god. We already know about humans, because well... we are humans *GASP*. :saywhat:
    If Florans are carnivorous then they might be agressive, also some of them might be chill (it talks about those Florans in the wiki).
    If the Apex are Communist then they might be distrusting (hints the hidden camera in the Apex wardrobe in the desc. the devs. are making).
    If the Glitch are stuck in the Medieval age then they will have kings, queens, tyrants, etc. the dark ages was one of the bloodiest ages of human existence. Which means there "MIGHT" be alot of corruption in their communities.
    If the NovaKids are hyperactive cowboys then I can believe they might get on peoples nerves, especially the Florans.
    The Avians are very religious, to the point of sacrificing to their god (Kluex). They might be somewhat touchy about their god, temples, or religion. Their might be a Apex crusades or something on their part. Like I said this is all speculation, I only deduced this from what we already know. :geek:

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  4. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, the bulk of relationships are based on a peer-to-peer scale, not on one civilization to another. Even without that it's hard to come up with stereotypes for every single race, especially our own. I believe that Starbound's main "plot" will be a game based more on your personal relationships with characters around you.

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  5. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

It states in the wiki about what each Starbound race's social build is. Tribal, Western, Medieval, Communist, Dynasty, etc.
    It doesn't mean all of the Florans are going to eat your brains though. It means how the government is mostly set up which dictates somewhat how the community will act.
    Not to shoot you down though, the people you have on your "homeplanet" will have their specific individuality some might be really original, and some might be pretty out of the ordinary.

6. Menasor

Menasor Phantasmal Quasar

Well I am not sure about the other races, but the Glitch were created to help understand social interaction, so they would likely make friends easy and then simulate themselves as the race they are studying/getting to know, whether that means if they encountered the Floran and found them ravenous and savage they would then exterminate, I am not sure, though with a Medieval mindset it is possible.

7. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Not to shoot you down, but those are very ambiguous words. Communist, for instance. What are you talking about: the idea that works or the real thing? And even that is debatable. Communism in China, for instance, was far less restrictive than Communism in Russia. Sure, for the Apex, we saw their dungeons and monitors and all that. But we don't know with what intent they're doing it, nor how they view their populace: as mindless worms or as battlefield comrades.

Tribal, too. What does that mean? We know florans are plant people, and that they're cannibalistic. Does that mean they'll automatically attack every single person they see? Obviously not, otherwise their race would be wiped out by now! So then what are their standards? What is their decision-making process? We have no idea. It could be anything.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift.

EDIT: Also, Tiy made it clear that in EVERY village there are a handful of unique NPCs.

EDIT2: I apologize if I sound aggressive. If only I could leave a recording.

8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Of course!
    It's hard to explain what I mean the Apex government is communist, for proof check the wiki/newsletter about descriptions of items.
    Some of the Apex are going to be under communist leadership/oppressed, or their going to be the ones doing the oppressing, probably not very friendly.
    By tribal for the Floran I mean they live a primitive life style, they are carnivorous and cannibals, and quoting Tiy "Barbaric".
    You just have to read into it a little bit it's takes a little research.
    -edit- Also In the examining descriptions, there was one where the glitch finds a camera in a Apex wardrobe if that helps your thought of what type of communism.
    And also with your decision making issue with the Florans here's your answer
    Introducing space travel to the primitive Florans had the undesired effect of Floran colonies spanning across star systems, each with their own customs and levels of aggression.-Meet the florans

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  9. Hallowfell

Hallowfell Phantasmal Quasar

It's also good to bear in mind levels of racial unity.

The Avian intro states there are outcasts, those fleeing the theocracy, and implies the players are them. So roughly, there might be a large, Orthodox faction and a scattering of schism and atheist groups fleeing persecution. The Human intro lets us know there's a whole human empire and implies the players are refugees from Earth, but it doesn't say how the empire is handling the loss of Earth or the advent of whatever grew there. From that, I'd imagine there are empiricists who want to fight and retake Earth, and pioneer-types who want to explore, spread, settle. Apex with their Big Brother state probably have the expected Loyalist and Anarchist factions.

However, the Glitch, Floran and Novakid are different. None of these races naturally develop space-age technology.

The Glitch background info states that they are locked into a simulated medieval age with the exception of those prodigy 'children' created without limitations, who are self-aware of their own status as A.I. and of all the advanced knowledge stored within their databanks. These glitched Glitch are hunted by the medieval communities, and therefore build their own ships to leave. This makes at least two very different factions, the Medieval ones and the High-tech, unlimited ones. Moreover, the medieval ones probably don't consider themselves Glitch and wouldn't have any communications with Glitch on other planets.

Floran are hyper-aggressive carnivores in a tribal system. Their technology is stolen, salvaged or reverse-engineered. Those who leave the tribe are condemned, and considered enemies of the race. If you look at the screenshot of their ship, it's very much a Human one infested by plant life. xD Anyway, tribal systems tend to have very little unity and thus Floran tribes are, I imagine, as varied as there are planets for them to populate. Additionally, there's the outcasts, who might be anything really.

Finally, theres the Novakid, whose combination of poor memory, short attention span, and high-level intelligence continually resets their society to about the Wild West's advancement. It's unstated, but I imagine they get around by either hitchhiking on whatever ships are passing through or using their intelligence to build a one-use ship that crashes wherever they want to go. It's hard to imagine what kind of racial unity they might have, but I'd guess they have none, concerning themselves only with whatever community they live in.

I'm doing a lot of speculating here, of course. Intros and lore will elaborate on these concepts, but my point is that racial relations will vary depending on which factions are in play.

I can't wait to see what kind society the Hylotl have.

dannyboy8899 and Farathil like this.
  10. dannyboy8899

dannyboy8899 Aquatic Astronaut

wouldn't the humans have other planets in their empire?
    so why would they become refugees to other races?
    In the WIP iintro video the voice-over calls Earth the 'jewel of the human empire'.
    Implying that, there are other human-populated planets and that Earth is the centre of these.
    Or are the humans becoming asylumn seekes to other human planets like how this hapens between countries.

11. Hallowfell

Hallowfell Phantasmal Quasar

That's exactly right, the intro states there's a whole empire.

The answer is that refugees from large scale disasters tend to scatter everywhere, "like ashes in the wind." I'm sure many probably do go to the other human planets, and others still take the opportunity of having nothing left to lose to venture into space and carve out a piece of the unknown for themselves. I don't think many would try to seek asylum from the other star-faring races' central societies, as they don't seem very human-friendly.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, the thing inside Earth is by no means a contained threat. I'm sure tons of humans, even from other planets, would be getting as far away from there as they can. If the Human Empire only consists of our home solar system, then it could mean a huge diaspora to, well, anywhere else without a planet-sized tentacle monster.

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  12. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am quite aware that this a really old thread but now that the game is out I feel like we have more of an official answer this:
    Humans:
    Society- Democratic
    Enemies- ???
    Allies- Terrene Protectorate
    Apex (Miniknog):
    Society- Communist, Military
    Enemies- Apex (Rebel)
    Allies- ??Floran??
    Apex (Rebel):
    Society: Rogue, Military
    Enemies- Apex (Miniknog)
    Allies- ???
    Avian (Stargazers):
    Society- Theocracy
    Enemies- Floran, Avian (grounded)
    Allies- Glitch
    Avian (Grounded):
    Society- Rogue, Pirate
    Enemies- Avian (stargazers)
    Allies- Glitch
    Hylotl:
    Society- Feudal
    Enemies- Floran
    Allies- ???
    Floran:
    Society- Tribal
    Enemies- Hylotl, Avain, Agaran
    Allies- ??Miniknog??
    Glitch (Hive):
    Society- Monarchy
    Enemies- none
    Allies- Avian
    Glitch (Self-Aware):
    Society- Rebel camps
    Enemies- Glitch (Hive)
    Allies- Avian
    Novakid:
    Society- Frontier Towns/Colonies
    Enemies- none
    Allies- none
    Agaran:
    Society- Tribal
    Enemies- Floran
    Allies-
    Terrene Protectorate:
    Society- Protectorate
    Enemies- Occasus
    Allies- ???
    The Occasus:
    Society- Cult
    Enemies- Apex, Avian, Floran, Hylotl, Glitch, etc.
    Allies- none

This is not complete. Suggest edits for the list and things you think should be added and why.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  13. Gobi Slave

Gobi Slave Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like there should be a category for he USCM, although I'm not sure if they survived the destruction of Earth.

I'd also say that the Agarans and the Florans are on unfriendly terms, there was some mention of that in the wiki.

The Terrene Protectorate would likely be allies with everyone except the Minikog (due to the Minikog's stranglehold on its people) and the Occasus.

And you should probably list the Grounded as enemies of the Stargazers.

14. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think that the USCM technically exists anymore. All related dungeons and lore except for those regarding the Penal Colonies were removed in the Story Update/ cheerful giraffe.

15. Gobi Slave

Yeah, the story update makes it difficult to keep track of what's what in Starbound Lore. I honestly wish that they'd kept a lot of the beta lore in the game (like the Avian air shanty).

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the USCM doesn't exist at all, but it's most definitely been destroyed. That can be deducted from the state of their Penal Colonies.

Quick question: Why do you think that the Minikog and the Florans might be allies?

16. Niner-7

Niner-7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

We had a good story with race rivalries, but the devs fucked that up.

Pingeh likes this.
  17. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Wasn't there something about the florans driving the hylotl into the ocean...?

18. Gobi Slave

Yes, there was. That's still cannon.

19. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Actually, I think the USCM has a better chance of still being intact than other human institutions. Since it's the United Systems Colonial Marines, that implies an interstellar presence, and being a military they can reorganize quickly if they lose their top brass because there's already a chain of command. The highest ranking surviving officers would take charge, and depending on the integrity of the organization they would either take over governance of the human population or attempt to make contact with the surviving civilian government.

Of course, the question arises why they're called the United Systems Colonial Marines when there are supposedly no colonies...

xaliber, Steamarrowe and Hatsya Souji like this.
  20. Gobi Slave

Dun, dun, DUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!

I'm hoping that eventually they add a bit of postgame story that includes the USCM and maybe the shadow people. That would be really cool. I like the idea of the USCM trying to reorganize human civilization. Hopefully someone from Chucklefish reads this, because I'd love to see more from the fan community in the game.