1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Really Bad Lag

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mario9, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mario9

mario9 Void-Bound Voyager

I just got Starbound, seeing as how it finally is out of early access. I was really excited to start except for the fact that it runs at 10-15 FPS. I'm not really sure if it's my computer, or if it's just the game. Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance! :)

By the way, here are my specs:
    AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 GHz
    8.00 GB RAM (6.94 GB usable)

2. Kaligo

Kaligo Void-Bound Voyager

I've experienced the same problem playing Starbound on my computer, with identical specs. The lag isn't quite as bad at higher zoom levels, but the lag still makes the game unplayable even at maximum magnification. I've actually been dealing with this issue in Nightly/Unstable Starbound ever since I downloaded it on this computer. Strangely enough, however, whenever I played the previous stable build of Starbound (when it was still in beta) I wouldn't experience nearly as much lag, if any at all.

I'm hoping the issue won't require myself and the OP to simply drop the game or get better computers, but I can't imagine what else might be the problem here. It's strange to think that our computers' capabilities would be insufficient to smoothly run a game as simple in appearance as Starbound, but the only other option is some form of optimization error, I think.

3. intrepid-explorer

intrepid-explorer Phantasmal Quasar

Same here, on a laptop with AMD E-450 1.65 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and Radeon HD 6830 video...not the best specs. Glad Giraffe was difficult to play on this machine, but 1.0 is nigh-unplayable.

For example, on the starting world I see a monster, equip the broadsword, get near the monster, hit the LMB a few times, and for 3-5 seconds nothing happens, then suddenly the monster is dead and I took some health damage. I start cutting a tree with the MM and get the Win10 spinning wheel (the thing that used be to an hourglass while the screen fades to white), then after 6-7 seconds maybe the tree falls down or maybe its tile damage has recovered and I have to try again. I explore a cave and when I see a drop-off, stop pressing the movement key and watch my character keep moving and fall off the drop-off. Sad face.

4. IxTrox

IxTrox Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I had the same problem with my friend's computer and I solved it : you have to go to Starbound's directory (Ex: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound) into "storage" you'll find "starbound.config", open it with Wordpad, then search for the value "vsync" if it's "true" replace it by "false" and don't forget to save changes. For an optimal configuration, I advise you put the game in fullscreen. For AMD owners make sure that in your Radeon settings, the GPU scaling is activated because if it's not, fullscreen might not work.

P.S : Finally, my friend's game worked with minus 30 fps after these changes.

5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.