Random Slime Breeding in the mines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pandagirl24688, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Pandagirl24688

Pandagirl24688 Space Hobo

A couple of times I've seen two slimes in the mines breed. One of the slimes makes a heart bubble and another makes an exclamation mark. I don't really pay attention so I don't know which is male or female. And afterwards a little slime pop's out. I wanted to find more information about this but I couldn't find any.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Yeah they act the same in the wild as in the hutch. Male has the pom pom.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Slimes will certainly breed in the mines! (Where else do baby slimes come from, silly.) The trouble is that aside from the top floor where the entrance/minecart/dwarf are, all levels of the mines are non-persistent and change contents and monster spawns between visits, so none of the little slimelets will be seen again once you leave that level. But to paraphrase Gertrude Stein (And I'm sure she would have written on slimes had she but known!), a slime is a slime is a slime, and they act the same no matter where they appear.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
        • MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

I've never had them breed wild in a game that doesn't have a slime hutch, can anyone confirm?

• Mothership1953

Mothership1953 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't have a slime hutch and I still see them breeding in the mine

Charity322 likes this.
            • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
            • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

They will behave the same with or without a slime hutch-- the difference is that the slime hutch makes the population in it persistent, which means that the babies will remain after you leave/return. They'll breed in the Mines, the Skull Caverns, and the Secret Woods, anyplace Slimes occur naturally at all, but since those populations are randomly spawned each time, they don't stay there. Also in general (with very rare random exceptions) those naturally occurring Slime populations will all be of the same sort based on location/Mine level, so you won't get any interesting cross-breeds for those brief periods that the baby Slimes exist.

There is /one/ exception to this rule that I know of-- a very rare glitch where when two Slimes breed and the baby is spawned at the exact second you leave that screen, it can appear in the new location. I've had baby Slimes 'follow' me out of the Secret Woods and into Cindersap with that glitch, and once they're in that location, they become permanent residents the same as if you were breeding them there! If you were very lucky and could time it properly, you could theoretically (Can I use that term regarding Slime breeding? I can. I have.) force a breeding population to spawn one baby at a time by using the glitch, no incubators or Slime Eggs needed.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I've seen them breed 'in the wild'. It doesn't happen often, because you have to have both a male and female slime of the same type in close proximity to each other and not actively attacking the player but close enough that you can see them. It is more likely to occur on floors you have to clear to generate a ladder which have lots of the same type of slime.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I can confirm it. I've seen it happen multiple times in the mines.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

hindered slime love.png
                    I posted this in the thread of randomness. It wasn't the first time or the first playthrough in which I witnessed this and I never built a slime hutch in over 300 hours of playtime. That's because I never killed enough slimes to get the ring. Every farm was abandoned in year 3 because I achieved everything I wanted.

• Pandagirl24688

Pandagirl24688 Space Hobo

How often will this happen and can you like make it happen by, for example making them get closer?

• MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Neat! I'd only ever seen it happen in the wild once I'd had the hutch built and the subsequent cutscene you get from it. I'd assumed that was what triggered the behaviour. Good to know.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

As far as I've been able to tell it's random; there's no slime mating season. Since they have to be within sight of one another to fall in love, you can help encourage it by keeping them close together (confined to a small space or lead them near each other). Attacking you seems to take priority to les affaires de cœur though, so if you're being a distraction they don't seem as inclined to do the slimy thing.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, damn it. :rofl: That's why my railroad slimes aren't breeding.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I think I have to actually disagree with this part to a degree. I have slime in my farm cave and when I walk in and they all come at me, I've had a couple of them just stop and go get... er... slimier... ummm.. yeah... haha

But, they are more inclined to go for you than each other, but it is possible.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I've spent a few seasons trying to encourage a struggling colony of them up at the Railroad, and I can lead them towards one another by getting them to chase me, but they don't seem inclined to pursue other interests if I'm still close enough to target. That may just be something subjective. I always did want to be the center of attention!