1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Racial Differences...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RedPanda_Warrior, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ellenmedieors12

ellenmedieors12 Void-Bound Voyager

True, but these Races are always the same, nothing really changes, you get advantages with disadvantages to make everything more interesting, but some disadvantages are really annoying... But everything needs to be balanced...

RedPanda_Warrior likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

What is wrong with them being the same? There is zero imbalance. Introducing traits just adds imbalance. It is literally attempting to fix something that is not broken. You can't get any more balanced than they are right now.

I don't think adding traits makes things more interesting, especially not like the ones proposed here which are just arbitrary numbers based on nothing. If you want traits, use a mod.

3. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Wow. So much hostility. You do realize this has no chance of making it into the game and thus is little more than conjecture/theorycrafting for a hypothetical mod?

4. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

Ok then, let me fix it.
    Apex:Advantages:
    Science Race:
    Increased all stimpack length by ten seconds
    Dash tech has a 0.7 cool down from 0.8
    Ape Characteristics:
    Bananas and banana based foods give an additional short Regen buff along with well fed
    Can climb and swing from vines, swinging in a way similar to grappling hook
    Can climb and swing from trees
    Does slightly mor damage on forest, jungle, and alien planets
    +15% jump height
    Reduced incoming frost damage, chilled effects aren't as bad
    Apex Warfareknowledge:
    +30% ranged damage when accompanied by friendplayers or soldier crew members
    Disadvantages:
    Hunger drops faster
    Fire lasts longer
    Non-Fruit or non fruit based foods give only half hunger back from what they normally would

Avian:Advantages;
    +33% damage when around avian objects and decoration
    Increased Jump Hieght by fifty percent
    Increased air speed
    -50% fall damage
    Speed is increased when a spear is outstretched
    Take half damage when charging up a staff or wand
    Disadvantages:
    Walking on tar slows you down quite a bit
    Take 33% more knockback
    Tar effect is twice as bad
    -10% health

Floran:Advantages:
    Skilled Hunters:
    Daggers, Bows, Spears, and all thrown weapons give a hunting bonus
    Increased chance of dropping rare items when using hunting weapons
    Plant People:
    Regen during daylight hours
    Faster energy Regen during daylight hours
    In sunlight, Regen faster
    Tribal Menaces:
    Double damage to enemy NPCs
    Damage increases as hunger decreases
    Disadvantages:
    -10% health
    Increased incoming knockback
    Broadsword weakness: take double damage from incoming broadswords

Hylotl:Advantages:
    Amphibious Orgins:
    Slight Regen in water
    Increased defense in water by 3
    Cannot Drown
    Swim Boost
    Walks faster when exposed to water
    (Note:Everything above also applies when Hylotl are wet)
    Wet doesn't slow Hylotl down, in gives buffs that standing in water would
    Peacekeeping Warriors:
    Sometimes killing an Npc will alternatively spare that Npc, and the Npc will beam up. The good thing is that if this happens you get three times the pixels you normally would.
    Dying sometimes doesn't drop your items
    Disadvantages:
    Going too long without standing in water will give you slowness and will cut off energy Regen until you stand in water again.
    -20% damage to non-quest non-mission npcs.

Glitch:Advantages:
    Metal Men:
    Bonus 5 defense
    +22% max health
    Poison Immunity
    Radiation Immunity
    Cold immunity
    Need way, way less food
    Incoming Ranged attacks do -50% damage
    No need to breathe, but you move slower in water
    Oil heals you and increases energy Regen
    Disadvantages:
    Can only eat metal foods(Automato, Currentcorn, Dioda, Boltbulb) and the foods you can make with them
    Electric Weakness: Take twice as much electric damage
    -8% movement speed
    Human:Advantages:

Space Pioneers
    Erchius usage is halfed
    Fuel tank capacity increased by 300
    Protectorate/USCM allegiance
    Instead of Killing, you occasionally spare Npcs, making them beam up and dropping three times as much pixels
    Increased Damage with Rocket Launchers and Shotguns
    Disadvantages:
    Less max hunger
    Increased energy usage

Novakid:Advantages:
    Living Stars:
    Energy Regen highly increased
    Max energy increased by 50
    Fire Immunity
    Heat Immunity
    Poision Immunity
    Radiation Immunity
    No need to breathe
    Glow in the dark
    Gangster Gunners:
    Pistols, Machine Pistols, and shotguns do 25% more damage
    -30% health
    Water slowly drains your life

5. RedPanda_Warrior

I agree. The chances of a dev even seeing this are low, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be added. We are basically brainstorming the perfect race variation mod.
    producing traits doesn't add imbalance: it just makes the game feel more real and make more sense. Like, for example, all the races are the same, but does it really make sense that the Glitch have to breathe?
    yes disadvantages are annoying, but they are balanced out with advantages.

6. lazarus78

Your proposed traits are far worse. -20% energy for no reason and -15% speed and jump for no reason. Much better.

It makes more sense that they are all the same because that are inharently perfectly balanced that way. "feel more real" is subjective to the individual, and I feel it detracts from the game more than it would ever add.

7. RedPanda_Warrior

So? If you don't like it, don't respond to this thread anymore! You are not changing my mind about this, and vice versa, also you do realize this will never be added, this is more of an idea for a mod. Please stop hating!

8. RedPanda_Warrior

Also, it's purely an opini N

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Whilst I can see the appeal this might have, I would never use such a thing. I like having the differences be purely aesthetic. I'd feel like I'd be missing out on things by playing a certain race over any other one. Plus I wouldn't like having a disadvantage just to play my favourite ones.

10. lazarus78

You posted this in the discussion forum, not the mod forum. You made no indication this was a suggestion for a mod, in fact your first line on your initial post seemed almost like a challenge. "Hey devs, you don't want this but everyone else does!".

As such, I am ensuring my voice on the matter is heard because I want to do my best to ensure such ideas don't get added to the game. If I kept quiet, then it would look like there was no opposition. And thankfully, you can't dictate who can and can not post in threads.

Lintton likes this.
  11. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Why is there any fighting in here in the first place? Chill ouuuut~

It's a fun idea for a mod, and not too hard to implement, but definitely difficult to balance perfectly. I'd stick to little bonuses and abilities -- the Elder Scrolls games do this pretty well with their playable races. Some have slight stat boosts, some have subtle perks (e.g. Argonian water-breathing), and whatnot, but it's nothing super game-changing. Even subtle changes can go a long way!

ComatosePhoenix likes this.
  12. RedPanda_Warrior

The thing is, the Devs don't look at the discussion thread! And you don't need to "ensure such ideas don't get added to the game" besides, if they did, there would probably be a mod realesed soon enough to fix it. And just so you know, you're acting desperate.

13. ComatosePhoenix

It also doesnt need to be sweeping changes. Doesnt it bother you that novakids dont really glow? Or that hylotls swim as well as a robot in platemail? Or the glitch make squish noises instead of metallic ones when hit?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Even if they didn't (and I'm very certain they do), people want to express the fact that you do not speak for them nor agree that such an idea needs to be implemented at all.

Here, perhaps you need to read the slice of your own OP again. This is where it started to go wrong. Even when confronted with the fact that you do not speak for all of the community as your OP suggests, you still insisted everyone either supports your list or supports a list, and that is not true.

15. ComatosePhoenix

Was it really necessary to derail this thread over a sentance? Panda can you edit the op so people stop overeacting?

16. lazarus78

They do indeed read these forums.

I shouldn't have to use a mod to remove something. If you want something, then use a mod yourself to add it. That is the most logical way to go about it.

No, it doesn't bother me at all. Gameplay over realism. All the races being the same means there is zero chance of someone having an advantage over anyone else simply because they picked X race. And I won't have to suffer some crappy negative effect simply because I chose X race. No traits means I am free to pick any race I want.

Fine, here is my list.

Apex:
    - Nothing

Floran:
    - Nothing

Glitch:
    - Nothing

Human:
    - Nothing

Hylotl:
    - Nothing

Novakid:
    - Nothing

Avian:
    - Nothing

17. RedPanda_Warrior

thank you, I've changed it so people stop over reacting.

18. RedPanda_Warrior

There Lazarus, I critiqued your list.

19. RedPanda_Warrior

Actually, Novakids do glow, although it's super faint, so faint it really doesn't effect anything.

20. lazarus78

As I said, gameplay over realism.

But this is entertaining, so...

"so I guess even though Florans are plants they still have the same suseptabilty to fire as any other race? And you don't think their nature effects their combat style?"

This one makes me laugh. Plants are not more susceptible to fire if they are healthy. Go ahead, try and but a green leaf. You can't. Plus, these are alien plant creatures. And to top it off, they use torches too. Why would a race that is easily susceptible to fire use them to light their homes? Fire bad, yes, but fire also bad for humans too.

"being as star person who is basically a ball of fire can somehow be damaged by fire, even though they are practically made of it?"

1. Made of fire? No. Stars are fusion based, not fire. http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question36.html
    2. If they are supposed to be star people, then how are they wearing cloths? Your idea falls flat right there. Some sort of special fabric that won't burn? Well that is some fancy fabric. Why isn't all fabric made of that stuff?

"because being made of metal yet having to breathe air makes total sense!"

You are assuming their chassis is fully sealed. Take a computer, put it in a waterproof container. Air tight. See how long it lasts under water. Computers need airflow to keep themselves cool. Same could be said for the glitch.

"no changes for the Human actually makes sense, but not changing them when you've changed everyone else kinda is wimpy."

So change simply for the sake of change is a better option? Then why the hell did people flip out when Microsoft introduces ribbons into MSOffice in 2007? Change for the sake of change is a poor reason to do something.