Races and their languages

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by reversePsychologist, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I like the idea, and it'd be useful for party chat or to say "fuck off" to the newb who just landed on your planet. As long as languages were clearly explained when you encounter it for the first time, then it's not a problem. If languages weren't explained by the game then yes, it would be annoying until you figured it out. It'd be kinda fun if the language were possible to decode, so that players could learn how to read it, if not speak it.

2. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the only new one that hasn't been mentioned is Lord Kain's, at this point I'm just gonna make a list (with names) of the suggestions when I have time instead of adding part after part to the overly wordy OP (or just delete the suggestions part altogether since reading the thread will suffice? I don't know). Still, the aspect of how to learn another language, again, is minor, my suggestion itself remains "there's languages", the rest is just for fun! Just wanted to re-clarify.

Yeah don't do that, someone in the thread already pre-complained about it. Not that I think it's particularly bad/this feature enhances this kind of things, it's an ass thing to do in any case.

That's a fair point. The feature as I imagine it would be pretty self-explanatory, what with having been used in other games before and being literally as easy as a click to use, but indeed there should be some sort of introduction to it or nobody's ever going to find out they are a thing. Starbound doesn't introduce basic features such as chatting and switching weapons and party commands directly with any mention: I think it just kind of puts a button in the hud and you know that's there... so perhaps that would be ok if not too invasive? Either that or just slam it in the chatbox, where there's also buttons for global chat, local chat etc. .

Heartstrings likes this.
  3. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Okay, that makes sense, having a button on the HUD, I thought that it was going to be in options or /commands or something that's not nessicarily something that a newbie is going to find out about.

4. reversePsychologist

Mh, this thread has been quite inactive, but I still do believe in this idea. The only thing that I'm in doubt about is wether I should just go for it and propose it more specifically, thus reducing the chances it could actually be implemented due to excessive specificity/difficulties in coding or just leave it like this, as an imprint of an idea. It could go either way... thoughts?

I really don't want to sound like someone who's suggesting something impossible or not worth the coding, but at the same time having a clearer idea of what I mean might make a good impression, after all the Novakids were a pretty specific and big idea weren't them? But oh well.

5. asdfghjkl1234567890

asdfghjkl1234567890 Big Damn Hero

this seems cool but it would make the following scenario possible.
    Human Player Character: -arrives in glitch village with gun drawn-
    Glitch guard: Holster your weapon sir!
    Human Player: what?
    Glitch guard: Holster your weapon, this is your last warning!
    Human Player: uhh... good morning to you too? :)
    Glitch guard: Drop the damn weapon! :mad:
    Human Player: :confused:??
    Glitch guard: Alright a-hole! -opens fire- :sparta:
    Human Player: :saywhat:

Miuub and reversePsychologist like this.
  6. reversePsychologist

No, because every race knows how to speak "Common" ;)

7. Akaiji

Akaiji Subatomic Cosmonaut

I definitely think you should be more specific, I mean you shouldn´t necessarily propose a fixed "solution", but some more detailed examples might help people grasp the idea behind your proposal.

Just remember: Nothing's impossible :p

reversePsychologist likes this.
  8. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

I absolutely adore this idea. It makes things so much more realistic and actually could provide some good quest-lines and give you something to do other than building and exploring.
    i think Star Wars Galaxies had this implemented too.

Support +1

9. reversePsychologist

Thank you! Someone else already mentioned about Star Wars Galaxies in this thread, but they didn't tell me how it was implemented!

10. Kenode

Kenode Void-Bound Voyager

People who refuse to learn languages other than their own exist in real life. I kinda would like to see this implemented, so I voted it. My idea is, some towns having characters that only speak their native language, however another player of that race could accept the quest and translate for you, adding a racial-based coop factor.

P.S. I also would like to make languages able to be learnt. Even if the mouth anatomy would produce different sounds, someone can always imitate them and understand them as well, I don't see what's so bad about learning the language instead of a universal translator.

reversePsychologist likes this.
  11. reversePsychologist

The "problem" is how to translate that (pardon the pun) into a game mechanic, of course there's no problem outside of that.

Also I love your view on the idea, translators being useful for quests would be a very clever thing indeed!

12. linux_user

linux_user Lucky Number 13

how to learn another language?

go to school:whaaat:

13. reversePsychologist

But I'm already a language and culture mediation student at university! :V

14. linux_user

linux_user Lucky Number 13

no u got me wrong , if u want to learn another "alien" language u should move with ur toon to the school :lolwut:

outside of this
    is Cyrillic supported by dis game ?

15. reversePsychologist

actually, I have no idea