Modding Help Question on editing files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by gmcgroarty, Dec 16, 2013.

1. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

Is there a location where I can see the heads and edit them on a paint program?

I want to remove the lightsource on the bald head and add a beard to it; any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

In the assets folder --

/humanoid/<race>/malehad.png
    /humanoid/<race>/femalehad.png

As always, do not work directly with assets. Work with a copy instead.

3. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

awesome thanks

do I drop it back in that file after?

4. ejh1990

While it will work, it is strongly not advised. Not only is it never a good idea to mess around with the core files in case something goes wrong, but it's more effort to maintain whenever Starbound updates.

Make a file in your working directory using notepad or whatever called headreplace.modinfo. In it, put this:

Code:
    {
      "name" : "headreplace",
      "version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
      "path" : "."
    }
    Then rename your working directory folder to headreplace, and put it in the mods folder in the Starbound directory. The final result would look something like this:

[​IMG]

So in short, a folder in the mods directory for your mod, the files that you are replacing (in the same structure that you'd find in the assets folder), and the .modinfo file. :)

When Starbound next updates, edit this the version line in the .modinfo file so that it matches the version of Starbound. If you don't then Starbound will refuse to run.

Hope that's clear enough. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

It should be; trust me I am no master of mods but I think with your instructions I should be able to pull this off LOL, thanks for the help.

6. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

Ya tried this last night, couldnt get it to work, got the face edited properly but was having trouble creating the directory

7. ejh1990

Could you post a screenshot of your directory in tree view please? :)

8. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

I am @ work so not an option atm, will be home in about 8 hours so possibly then.

Is it really that much of an issue to alter the main file by adding a beard on to the human face?

9. ejh1990

Alrighty.

It's not a huge issue. But it's still better to avoid overwriting any assets if you can help it. But as long as you backup the assets folder just in case, you should be fine overwriting if you go down that route. It just means you may have to keep overwriting the files each time there's an update, rather than editing one line on the .modinfo file.

10. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

Thing is I wouldnt be editing any actual files, just the pixels on the faces to add in a heard and fix the annoying light source on the head. I wouldnt "technically" be editing anything other than that with a paint program.

11. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

Anyone else have some insight on how to make this work?

12. Westeller

Westeller Space Penguin Leader

That last comma breaks it, no?

ejh1990 likes this.
  13. ejh1990

Ah, that'd be why it may not have been working. Yes. Sloppy, sloppy typing. My sincerest apologies.

14. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Code:
    {
      "version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
    }
    Wasn't The mod.modinfo released for version Offended Koala and up, how is this being used for Indignant Koala?

15. gmcgroarty

gmcgroarty Yeah, You!

Ok can we try this again and get step by step so I cant mess it up? ;)

16. ejh1990

OK, two mistakes I made. D:

Really, really sorry.

Code:
    {
      "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
    }
    *checks for accuracy very carefully*

That's what the headreplace.modinfo should read as.

I think that's in order now.

Again, so sorry!