1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about unused furniture

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I'm looking over the wiki, and there are a bunch of unused placeables that are fully coded, but are buried in the game. I am an admin on my server. If I spawned these dummied out furniture items in and scanned them, could I print more of them? I'm talking about the furniture made of swords, the old USCM Bunker consoles and screens, stuff like that. I'm building an IKEA on my server, and it's basically a furniture scanning museum. I want to make these items available to my players without having to arrange some kind of "fake crafting" for them. I already plan to do that with the unobtainable blocks that can't be crafted.

2. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

It depends on the item. For example, the Sharp Table is disabled but printable, while the "No Escape" Graffiti is also disabled, but not printable.

Starbounder also mentions this RE: non-printable items: "These objects all have the parameter printable=False defined inside their .object file.", so i guess you could try to edit the files to true instead to see if that works, but every player would have to do that too.

3. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do think a lot more things should be printable upon scan, it really helps with the creativity and having to spawn Red Lights makes me feel dirty despite having plenty of pixels to print out whatever else I want.

If already non-craftable things like the graffiti, Red Lights, Breakables and the like were added to the printer I think we'd see even more diversity in builds. There's other ways to make them fit in too like a pottery merchant or a salvaging device.

I get really into the building side of the game when I'm not worried about my computer corrupting the files, actually made a full underground cultist city a while back using mostly things scavenged from midnight worlds and some EASEL signs, I noticed a lot of things I wanted to use like the ancient chest were unobtainable and it sort of feels like it "ruins" (pun intended) my otherwise completely legitimate characters. (that chest isn't actually a chest anymore so I hope the file still works when I get it back.)

And maybe the old tiered furniture too, it'd be nice printable. It's hard enough to get from tenants once, much less to use it as a primary theme for a large build.

STCW262 likes this.