Modding Help Question about unpacking

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nexus Of Chaos, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

If you unpack the packed.pak file into the same folder and "remove" the packed.pak by renaming it to something not ending in .pak, is there any problems excluding validation and updating just creating a new packed.pak?

i haven't seen any problems, but i'm wondering just in case

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I've replaced mine before. I ran all the assets through PNGgauntlet, then repacked and replaced packed.pak. Everything worked fine. Of course that file has been replaced since(updates). So it isn't hardly worth doing. But technically you can.

It makes far more sense to just build mods that change what you want changed.

3. Nexus Of Chaos

I mean like this
    Untitled.png

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You'll have a minor error like "unrecognized file packed.pak.no in ./assets/" but that's fine otherwise.

You could just move it to another folder too. It makes sense anyhow to move it to where you unpack things. I personally unpack in a folder the game isn't looking at/won't use.

I also copied asset_unpacker.exe and it's dependencies into the \starbound\unpacked_assets\ folder I made for that purpose.

Early starbound used loose assets like it looks like you intend, but they're too tempting to edit directly instead of modding properly. I expect the support headaches from this contributed to their decision to pack files. I just wish they used something more standard... something supported by 7zip(etc) instead of their ever-changing proprietary formats.

5. Nexus Of Chaos

i unpack the packed.pak so i can edit it freely and use it. new update rolls around: unpack.bat is run immediately (unpacks it quickly)

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Nah I just copy/paste it. I collect the old packed files anyhow in case I want to compare new to old. Comes in handy.

If I wanted it instantly ready, I guess I could hardlink the file into \starbound\unpacked_assets\
    I do leave a terminal open with this folder as the current directory. .bat file nothing! I can click <up> to scroll through previous commands, edit them if necessary.

But I'd rather not hardlink, since I copy/paste, unpack, rename, move to a different "archive" folder. Of course you are under no obligation to do things as I do.