Modding Help Question about custom clothing

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Krillin, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Krillin

Krillin Poptop Tamer

Alright well, I've figured out how to create and actually add custom hairstyles, but I'm not sure how to properly "set up" clothing to appear and function properly in-game whether that means starter clothing or craftable. I can see that there are folders for clothing in assets > items > armors > (race) which I'm figuring is where I would have to put the folders, and I can basically just copy the format of the other items in here? Obviously, I know what to do with all of the image files in those folders. Where I get confused is what to do with files that end in ".legs" and ".chest". Do I need to modify those, and how?

Secondly, I'm not sure how to tell the game where the folder for the clothing actually is. I get how to add a recipe for it into the crafting table, but would I just have to put the completed clothing folder under the place I mentioned before [assets > items > armors > (race) > (folder name)] and use the exact name of whatever I called the individual parts of clothing in the .recipe file?

edit; I realize that's probably a terrible way of phrasing my question. I guess I should give an example, say I'm looking at the .recipe file for making a wooden door:

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "darkwoodmaterial", "count" : 20 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "woodendoor",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "objects", "all" ]
    }

I can't see where "woodendoor" would be located file-wise, yet the game knows what image(s) to use, and that's where I'm lost. So say I modified the recipe above, wrote in the necessary materials, and my item was titled "customclothing.png" could I just write in "item" : "customclothing" under output?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Clash

Clash Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally I recommend using the mod format found here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-proper-way-to-install-mods.41929/ as you don't have to overwrite anything and the mod can be disabled/enabled fairly easily. Yes, you can copy the format of the other clothing folders.

The .legs et al files are where you actually specify the sprite, stats, and everything else that makes the item an item. You need to make sure the names of the images you added match up to what it says in the file. So if I add a new chest sprite sheet for males called newspriteM.png I would add it to where it says body under maleFrames. Same process for females and you can just use the same chest sprite for both if it's unisex or you're lazy.

The itemname field is for the unique identifying name of the object. Your question about how it knows where to find "woodendoor" is answered here as well because that is an itemname. The name that appears in-game for an item is the shortdescription, so when you mouse over it in your inventory that's the name you'll see. If you want to add a custom description to it the description field is fairly self explanatory.

mo'guts likes this.
  3. Krillin

Krillin Poptop Tamer

Ahh alright! Sorry if that was a dumb question. Thank you for helping me :D

4. Clash

Clash Subatomic Cosmonaut

No such thing as a dumb question. That's what these forums are here for because this is a brand new game and we're all still learning the ins and outs.