1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and Cons of Starbound so far

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jeffrey51399, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What do you guys think about the game so far and ship size?

1. ship needs expansion improvement (grades?)

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. A

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. B

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. C

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. D

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jeffrey51399

jeffrey51399 Space Hobo

Since the new update is close and we'll start over i figured ill leave feedback off of what I experienced so far.

I like the concept of being able to travel the vast universe and sectors with friends but i think maybe adding something like a guild type thing would be nice. Adding a guild for you and your friends would be a cool thing and would keep things more organized while exploring. Also maybe the idea of being able to colonize a planet in multiplayer would be nice. There are also somethings that need improvement like ship size after playing for many hours your ship gets full with valuable loot and i see it being a big problem with the space your given. A good idea would be giving people more space to start off as an extra room or two would help but there should also be an architect u can spawn so when you bring him to your ship he can expand it for some pixels. Also just like cube world and minecraft you guys should have it that if u want a specific pet you need a specific food it'll eat. An example would be a cereal bar in cube world that will tame a chicken or a carrot that will tame a pig in minecraft. The last thing is problem with hamachi its been really buggy when trying to play with friends. My friends and I tried to setup servers but the other people cant join while only the host can only join. Its a client based error.
    Pros: A lot of room and areas to explore
    many biomes
    different types of villages, dungeons, etc
    ending fun while playing with friends
    Cons: Ship size
    character resets in beta(but its beta so w/e)
    errors with hamachi
    many of the servers crash a lot

Overall Grade of beta: B+
    I gave this game a B+ because of the endless fun it has along with it. The reason why i didnt give it an A+ was because its still in beta and growing but i could see this game going far and having a lasting appeal just like minecraft and terraria. This game will make me change my mind when its the full game. Also feel free to criticize my post it's my first forum post and it will help me in the future.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    carcrasher65 likes this.
  2. Marianne Asteri

Marianne Asteri Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Grading a game? You wot m8. You think this is school and you are a teacher? :p
    Just call it a review and ask what people think of the game. Yes, servers can crash because they are buggy at the moment, and the game isn't made to run with Hamachi. Pets, pets aren't in the game yet. We'll have to see how they handle those.
    I believe they are adding ship expansion in the future.
    Even more biomes, villages and dungeons to come. :D

And don't grade beta. People don't "grade" games, they review them. Games aren't so similar and standard that you can grade them like eggs.

3. Dsurion

Dsurion Big Damn Hero

Well, from what i see, all the Cons you mention is pretty much because the game is in beta (errors and stuff that must be fixed). Ship size is already planned (there are some screenshots of the old ships upgrading in size) but its not already implemented.

I dont think it matter giving a grade or score to a Beta, of course it will have problems and a lot of things may change, when (and only when) the game gets out of beta, then you can say its great or terrible (if you plan to make a review of sorts).
    If you really want to make a review of a Beta, don't give it a score, just say "This is what is fun in the game, this is what is cool and this is what must be fixed or isn't really done so far", if you give a "score" you are being unfair, is like saying that a Car isn't that good because the unfinished product doesn't work because it doesn't have an engine yet.

4. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Ships will be upgradeable in the full game... Not to mention upgradeable and unlockable crew members.

5. Lenney

Lenney Void-Bound Voyager

I think it's an average game with an identity crisis. It calls itself a sci-fi game but literally the only sci-fi elements are the facts that you are in space and have a spaceship to travel to other worlds. Most of the other elements in the game can be classified as fantasy. I was really hoping for a more mature sci-fi themed game.

6. VIcariousViking

VIcariousViking Void-Bound Voyager

Mature? ....
    Starbound?

Have you been following the development? They introduced a shit demon way before beta went live. It was always meant to be taken lightly.

7. Lenney

No I didn't.. I simply saw the advert on steam and read the faq on this site. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I was just hoping for something a little more like Edge of Space, but with expanded universe.

8. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

I give it an A. Haven't had anything I didn't expect. Bugs, lack of content ect. I have fallen in love with the soundtrack and the animation throughout the game and the weapon names have become my favorite part of exploring a planet and getting loot. Things just need to be balanced, tweaked and added.

9. Sir Terrance

Sir Terrance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Beat the beta twice and there is some serious balance issues as well as a few other things I would like to see addressed in the next update. As soon as you start the game make a yarn spinner and with a few leather you can make snow armor that has same defence as platinum. Platinum armor is needed to make titanium, but can't be found till you get to the level 31-40 planets, by which point is worthless cos you can then just make durasteel armor instead. There is no point making melee weapons cos it's easy to find a Sniper that can one shot most stuff and only costs a little over 700 pixels from most weapon stores. The 3rd boss drops the starchart upgrade instead of the means to make one meaning that if you beat it co-op, only one of you gets to advance. Once you buy the level 40 Sniper and realize the planets don't get any harder and there is no forth boss, you realize that farming to make armor higher than snow armor seems pointless. (made impervium armor anyway). Snow armor needs making alot weaker, preferably same as copper or less. Snipers either need making really expensive or harder to acquire in some way. A level 40 boss needs adding to make impervium armor worth grinding for. Also finding the grav bubble tech on level 1-10 planets make things too easy. Also the Apex electric obstacle course is pointless when you can just mine through the wall to the chest.

10. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

I think all of that can be fixed by them adding the rest of the content in because the problem is not that certain items or two strong or can't be gotten yet ect it is that the gaps are not filled yet to make it all work.

Starhound likes this.
  11. Starhound

Starhound Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest, I have followed development since I heard about it forever ago. After playing a good bit, I am on your side. It's a strange creature, Starbound, but in all fairness what is there so far works well enough to keep me playing hours on end. I would like to see more high tech gadgetry and weaponry, but as I'm only part way to tier 3 at the moment, I think it boils down to progression. That is, the content you and I both want is there, it's just not there from the get go. Also, as we are in beta, I expect things to change a lot over time. But the humor, the attitude of the game, that's not going anywhere.

Lenney likes this.
  12. Lenney

Yeah, the goofy bits do have their charm. Hopefully they can expand the combat system and enemy AI to match the robustness of the creature generation models. If they can make the combat feel unique with each encounter, I would play this for a very long time.

Had to post it twice.. Once for each time he beat the beta. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
    GSGregory and Starhound like this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No, it's just forum lag. Sometimes if the server hangs a bit, it's easy to accidentally post something twice if it appears to have hung. Deleted the duplicate, anyway.

14. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

Forum lag doesn't usually split itself across other peoples posts and especially not after more than a few minutes. Never in my experience anyway.

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Oh. So I see. Either it was some truly nasty lag that defied the heavens and caused a huge time gap, or it was intentional. Either way, no harm done.

16. HjorrMundGandr

HjorrMundGandr Space Hobo

17. Sir Terrance

Sir Terrance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry. Didn't mean to post twice.

18. Lenney

haha.. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I got about half way through it before I realized I had already read it and it legitimately made me lol.