Modding Discussion Proposal of a Armor Upgrade Anvil

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xemgoa, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Xemgoa

Xemgoa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, I don't know if anyone had brought this up and I am not willing to spend hours or days checking for a post with a similar idea, lost in a sea of ... I'm taking a wild guess of over 1000 posts/threads. Neither am I sure this is the category to make a request or propose an idea for modding content.

But since we have the introduction of the Weapon Upgrade Anvil for sometime now, if it were possible to add an "Armor upgrade" variant? I'd like to see what potential can be unlocked from highest tier armor possible, with a creative modder in mind!

2. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeh, would love to upgrade my horse mask into a unicorn nuclear powered mask that gives me +900hp:rainbowbarf:

Jk i think the base of your idea is a good concept:sarcasm:

3. Xemgoa

Thank you.

The suggestion is nothing ground breaking, but I felt I had to ask since we only have one special anvil accustomed for Unique weaponry. Neither is a well, thoroughly developed suggestion, since I'm leaving this up for Modification content creators to make if they want to. I would love to see what Violum crafted armor could become once upgraded to one more tier.

4. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

I think that will be worthless since all armors have almost the same scale and they don't get useless in terms of cosmetic since you can still wear them as cosmetics even if they get replaced with another more powerful. Also, since all armors use almost the same scale, a T2 copper armor will have the same stat as a T2 iron armor. It will be more convenient and useful for modders that don't want to do a lot of recipes for their custom tiered armors though.

Another problem is that if you push too high the tier of the armor you literally will become god and broken in terms of op, at the moment with vanilla scale you can reach T10 which you will have 86 of protection, 700 of power damage, 350 of energy and 300 of hp using the perfect pixel armor as reference.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. Xemgoa

Hm... perhaps.

Unless another way to do it, is that if a certain ability is unlocked via the Armor Upgrade Anvil through one of any of the highest tier of armor, instead of providing a small stat boost - instead the piece of armor in question will unlock a ability/trait if you're wearing the entire set of armor - assuming they were upgraded too.

E.G. You upgraded... say, the Violum Helmet (which is End tier armor) and upgraded it through the Armor Upgrade Anvil; it has a new description that bestows a unique perk-- so long as the rest of it's other armor pieces are upgraded and equipped. Let's say the unique perk when equipped the full upgraded set, is a 'slightly' higher crit chance, or perhaps the ability to glow in the dark, teensy attack buff to just melee, point is that it'll only be ONE of these traits and it'll persist only as long as they remain equipped, but assuming they have been upgraded. If Helmet, armor or even the leggings are unequipped at any given time - the passive bonus is removed, otherwise it's constant. It could inherit a unique ability that exists through Ability Tech, or something unique on it's own, like crouch for ten seconds to reveal everyone only on screen when they come into sight, making it handy for ambushing tactics.

Either way, there is more ways to look at it than upgrades always result in higher defense, more hp, etc; rather give it something unique like the Unique weapons did - only something for armor, that might make it easier to balance by seeing what traits work well with what, and how to balance it so it won't be THE go to armor set that beats everything else.

So with upgraded armor, it can unlock a inherit passive that persists as long as the entire upgraded set is equipped - which ends if one piece/the entire set is unequipped. In addition, it gains a slightly improved/different visual change.