1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Project Starlight - Starbound Server Extension - Player Commands, Admins and more! - Open Source!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Opalium, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

Good conflicts with arguing actually tends to be constructive. I think this thread has been pretty constructive.

You should take a communications and conflict management course sometime ;).

supernet2 likes this.
  2. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

i'd say i like everyones input, everyone has a say, and i tend to favor in the thought process of thinking that let bygones be bygones. Call me to optimistic but... sometimes optimistic actions can be a good one. Not in all instances but.. you never know, nobody truly knows the outcome of anything other than that sole person in regards to what they say, do or how they will act in the future. How it unfolds is another story..

3. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

I can not control what a larger company does, and yes I don't believe they'll ever do anything to me. The media likes to make people live in fear so they'll go out and buy stuff and hide in a hole when all of it's just bull shit really. Even if companies are doing terrible things to people, they only do it to get ahead, to make profit. Not to get a laugh or out of anger because someone said "I think this button should be blue instead of red". I already answered why and you chose to ignore why, claiming I was dodging the question. Companies don't target people for lulz. Only Zidonuke and other solo / group online entities do.

I simply spoke my mind and everyone rushes in to defend some hacker with a bad reputation of doing bad things to people for fun. There are people who can give him a chance, but I am not one of those, I will not download anything he makes, likely not ever. But if I don't see any more news about him destroying projects, then sure I will believe he may have changed. Or is plotting something 10 times worse than what he did to Pokemon world online.

I often lose friends and make enemies by speaking my mind, don't know why it's so hard for people to understand the difference between anger, and just straight facts/discussion. People assume I am afraid of angry when I'm just saying something, I often don't have any emotion at all. It may be that I just don't see what I do wrong, I have Aspergers Disorder as well so meh. People obviously hate those who speak their mind, as it's happened very often with me and I make enemies all over by doing so.

However, I'm done with this debate. Continuing to focus on it is making the left side of my head hurt, usually happens when I concentrate to hard on anything.

supernet2 likes this.
  4. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

People take offense to your 'arguing' because you're being offensive and condescending. Just because you don't think people should take offense to it doesn't give you the right to say whatever you think.

supernet2 likes this.
  5. Well, Starrybound is going to be continued hopefully, saw 2 days ago, now with more guarantees on the software security itself, hopefully it remains alive, next update will be breaking, but again there is not a single mention about Server Side improvements on next patch (side of the server memory leaks).

6. Underbalanced

Yup, "sweeping engine" changes. I am hoping the sweeping engine changes are for the setup of server hosted player files, doing the calculations, mod syncing ect. Because the way it seems, the current program was not really set for that.

Bacon and supernet2 like this.
  7. Borgius

Borgius Tentacle Wrangler

you do not carefully read (Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing )

8. SweFox

SweFox Guest

I'm curious to know what people are using instead of Starrybound :s. I would love a good wrapper and I can't really make my own...

Seems like a waste of time to host a server without one :).

9. I knew about that, i'm talking about the problems with the server exploiting, hacking, crashing, that the clients who join do because amazingly this server software trusts the client, if the core of the software is not re-designed thinking on big servers, i just don't see how run a big server will be possible without 3rd party software to block abuses, no matter how nice our communities are, there's always someone who will abuse, and the sad thing is that you only need 1 bad player to mess up the play experience to everybody else.
    The server will be developed as they said they want their won admin tools, but i believe it needs more than fancy commands.

10. Underbalanced

In time. Minecraft had similar issues and turned out well.

11. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Anyone know if someone is working on this? I had Starrybound but not compatible anymore with the latest update.

12. The author says it's working on it. About Starrybound https://github.com/AvilanceLtd/StarryboundServer they already got builds working with Furious Koala up.

13. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

14. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

Actually there is a working release for StarryBound, i test it real quick... Seem to run like a charm !

Too bad there is no blog post anymore or a team, for support purpose. But hey, it's working anyway. i can create a unoficial post for it, i will ask Crashdoom first.

15. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

where can i download this?

16. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

i will send you a message...

17. LainSzvahl

LainSzvahl Aquatic Astronaut

note me it as well, id like to use it too

18. Stainless

Stainless Space Hobo

I would also love to get this working with the latest release. Starrybound seems to have dried up.

19. Opalium

Opalium Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello everyone. Been a while since I've been here, lol.
    Seems like a lot of drama happened while I was gone.

I just want to make a few things clear:
    Right now I'm reading through all the comments trying to figure out what happened. I don't really know what's going on, tbh. I read things about Starrybound devs trying to hide malicious code in the server, but I should make it clear that I never did such a thing or even knew about something like it. In fact, I'm not sure if this is even true - I haven't seen anything bad in the code (unless it was added after I was gone).
    I joined Starrybound because I believed we can get further with our knowledge combined instead of just racing each other. I was simply joining to offer my help as a developer. However, a few days after I've joined them I had to go inactive (a good friend of mine was badly injured in a car crash and I wanted to be on her side - she's okay now btw) so I didn't keep up with whatever happened. When I came back I already lost my motivation to continue working. Things are kind of busy for me in life right now, so it was hard to find time for it too.
    I should also mention that I never knew about all what Zidon did in his past. I've met him here in the Starbound forums for the first time, and I had no clue of all those things. I did know he worked for Tshock (terraria) but I just thought he was one of the devs there.

This whole thing just seems like a major misunderstanding, but I really don't know. Just wanted to let you know that I have nothing to do with it.

Now, as for the future of Starlight: I'm considering to revive this project, but this is not final. I'm in a very busy period in life right now so I can't bother too much with it, but if the pressure will come down in the close monthes (and I hope it will) then maybe I will do something. Still, this will not happen any time soon, and I can't promise anything yet. Just letting you know what I think.

Have a great day!

~Opalium.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Zahlfire likes this.
  20. Balliztica

Balliztica Intergalactic Tourist

How do I use this server in a stand alone folder on my desktop instead of using my starbound files?