1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Pre-Order and link to Steam account

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Kacmem, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacmem

Kacmem Orbital Explorer

Hello everyone,

If I will pre-order Starbound game on this website, can I add it to Steam account after release?
    Or should I pre-oder it in Steam service?

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Yes

From the FAQ on the preorder page

Q. Does my purchase include a steam key?

A. Yup! When the game appears on steam we'll send a steam key out to everyone that has purchased the game thus far.

Jonesy and Kacmem like this.
  3. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

You will effectivly own two version of the game. One DRM free version and the steam one.

Stephen Hawking likes this.
  4. Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking Big Damn Hero

Sorry to go off topic a little, but its funny how so many people were angry at the Xbox for having DRM yet the biggest game distributor in the world has DRM.
    This is not to start any type of flame war!!!

5. Aryylas

Aryylas Space Spelunker

I was all set when they said I would have to keep my system online to use it.

6. vingw

vingw Master Chief

On your Humble Bundle page, there should be a code that fits the pattern of "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" [I have silver tier, I'm not sure if this is the same for other tiers].

When the game is on Steam, I'm ASSUMING this is the serial code that you will use to redeem it, given that every other product I've activated on Steam through Humble Bundle has been "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" type codes. Don't take my word for it, I'm just guessing that this is the case, given how Steam codes and Humble Bundle usually work.

7. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Offtopic: The main thing is that Steam DRM adds benefits like could saving, in-game chat/web/guides, screenshot manager and function, achievements, and let's you install from anywhere. People tend to forget Steam is DRM because it adds rather than subtracting from the experience. Steam treats piracy like Gabe sees it "a service problem" by offering you benefits for not pirating and not treating paying customers like potential "pirating scum". The XBone DRM is the more annoying kind where you own the disc but can't loan it to a friend which makes you feel like something was taken away and the "always-on" thing made some people think Microsoft sees them only as potential pirates.

Either that or they will just add one of their "click here to claim your steam key" things on it like they do on some of the other bundles, so that "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" (it is the same on pixel) might be the key or it might just be more of a website key or transaction ID.

Jonesy likes this.
  8. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

I derped.

9. Siveria

Siveria Big Damn Hero

The diffrence here is that computers are pretty much always online its part of their nature, where as a videogame console should not require an internet connection to function. Since steam is on pc/craps(aka macs), and the computer is always online you never notice the drm, however on the xbone, if you lack a net connection it'd bascally be like "well screw you, no net, no playing" Also before you argue steam is like that, Steam also has an offline mode that you can play most of the games in. Either way, I totally expect M$ to screw people over and re-patch in the drm a few months down the road, once people got their consoles they ain't going to care. There is also the whole "requires kinect to always be attached" what is the purpose of this I wonder? I don't see any viable reason why that accessory has to always be hooked into the system for it to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.