Port Forwarding Answers

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Coffeeman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

@skannerz22 It looks like your best bet would be to ask the dev team. I don't know that much about the server internals, sorry :(
    @Keralix Had any luck?

2. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

Okay, so here's what I have so far:
    I have my ports forwarded to 21025 - 21025 (Entered for base and global)
    I have it set to my default IP (AKA in my case my computer is named "thegamingrig") But I also did another port to my IPV4 address, as I saw somewhere that that could possibly help, but it didn't.
    Checked my firewall, Starbound.exe and Starboundserver.exe are both allowed access publicly and privately.
    Everything is similar to Terraria, supposedly, so I followed similar steps just using the default game IP of "21025"
    I'm TCP, btw, though my little UPNP Enable box is unchecked in the service allowances.
    I'm Westell.

Get into game.
    Type in my IP from "Whatsmyip.org" - Client error, cannot connect to my IP + Port "21025"
    Okay, try my IPV4 IP in there this time. - Client error, cannot connect to my IP + Port "21025"

What do I do? As far as I know, i'm all set.

3. Coffeeman

@Tsukasa You should be using your local IPv4 address in the port forwarding config, and NOT your DHCP Hostname. That could be the problem because:
    That problem will apply if you try to port forward a IP and DHCP Hostname for the same port.
    If that doesn't work... how are you getting your local IP? You could try using the one from running ipconfig (or ifconfig if on linux) at the command line.
    Tell me what happens, and good luck! :)

P.S. You seem a little confused on your terminology...
    Port=number (2-4 digits) sometimes preceded with a : , this number is a ID for a server (effectively.) Ex. 80, 21025
    IPv4 Address (local)=number (a dotted quad, so xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), this number is the ID of a computer on your network. Ex. 192.168.1.17
    IPv4 Address (global)=number (a dotted quad, so xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), this number is the ID of a computer on any network, allowing your friends to connect to you over the whole internet.
    If you want more terminology info, read the OP. c:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. Coffeeman

@Versten what does upnp is gone mean? Do you mean your starbound stopped being port forwarded? The UPNP option is gone? Can you clarify?

5. Versten

Versten Space Hobo

Im sorry we fixed it. =)

6. Coffeeman

No Problem, have fun! What was the problem (for future reference)? :up:

7. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

Sorry, my terminology sucks. I've only Port Forwarded once. God knows how I managed that. >w>

I tied entering my IPv4 Address into my internet search, Google said it couldn't connect. (Not sure if that's what you meant) So I tried these steps instead (Picture included for clarity)
    I used my Default Gateway IP to access my port interface screen, and added a custom port (below)
    [​IMG]
    I put the global port range from 21025-21025
    Base Host Port is the same.

Afterwards, I entered my IPv4 Address into my Host Device area, rather than leaving it simply as "thegamingrig" (Although it came up as the same on the host device bar, so I guess nothing happened there.)

This is the end result, though I'm not sure I did this correctly. I did it step-by-step so you could show me exactly where I went wrong. Hopefully you'll be able to correct whatever errors I've made.

Additonally (if I didn't mention this) My firewall has Starbound.exe and Starboundserver.exe both allow publicly, etc etc.
    Anywho, hopefully you can help me out, cause i suck at this. xD

Quoting might be a bit of a hassle, so you can snip the parts that you don't need.

For my local IP, I use whatismyip.org
    That's supposedly supposed to tell you your IP, but i'm not certain what function it serves, asides from hosting servers themselves.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. Versten

Versten Space Hobo

sorry took a bit to reply, We just ran as admin and it started to work. pretty sad on our part

9. Keralix

Keralix Lucky Number 13

I figured out both Port Forwarding and Hamachi, this video is giving you a visual if you are still confused on how to make a server on starbound!

Kyon likes this.
  10. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

I got a dumb question. Is using Hamachi necessary or just a preference? I mean the game lets you direct connect, creating a virtual tunnel shouldn't be needed. It's not like we're circumventing official means of playing in multiplayer. Like say using an illegal private server or avoiding using Xbox Live for example.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

Okay, so thanks to Keralix I can actually get on a server. Problem is, people can't connect to it. A guy told me that he got a "Cannot connect to my IPV4 Address due to Port 21025 error" Is that a problem on my end? (I think so)

12. Keralix

Keralix Lucky Number 13

You dont have your buddy connect to your ipv4 address you have them join on your IP address which can be easily found by google "What is my ip"

13. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

Figured it out a bit after I posted, but thank you anyways. :p

Thanks for everything guys!

14. Coffeeman

Nope! You can port forward if you want to, Hamachi is only for people locked out of their router (or similar!)

Monkeybiscuit likes this.
  15. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

16. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

Aha good point. I may have to use Hamachi after all. My girlfriend can host but I can't (as usual) Thanks!

17. GamGam

GamGam Space Hobo

Hello. My router has a strange configuration screen, different from the tutorials online, so I don't know how to fill those blanks. Could you help me, please?
    It is in brazilian portuguese, so I'll translate:

Rule's Name / Protocol / Origin IP / Origin Port(s) / Destiny IP / Destiny Port(s)

[​IMG]

18. VitorPresa

VitorPresa Orbital Explorer

I'm trying to hosting with hamachi but this doesn't works. Can you help me ?

19. GamGam

GamGam Space Hobo

Managed to solve my problem, thanks!

20. TrentV88252

TrentV88252 Void-Bound Voyager

Uhh i need help on a windstream router it wont let me set the ports to 21025 says to many entries...help?