Port Forwarding Answers

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Coffeeman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. May Lucas

May Lucas Void-Bound Voyager

Good find! Thank you so much. My router didn't like me forwarding the default port, all issues resolved now

2. MrWoofWoof

MrWoofWoof Lucky Number 13

Hi, I'm having some problems...

I've port forwarded Minecraft, and Terraria without much trouble although while i'm doing this, it simply says

"No port maps defined for this game or application"

I was just wondering is this something i'm doing that's stupid, and wrong? Or... I was wondering if someone could just go through with the correct steps when entering the port. Or if it's my firewall how to go about letting the port work.

3. MrWoofWoof

When you say your router didn't like forwarding that port, it wasn't working for you? Probably having the same problem as you.

4. May Lucas

May Lucas Void-Bound Voyager

For some reason it was telling me the port was in use and to check my Remote Access, UPNP and port forwarding but I hadn't used this port anywhere before. It just wouldn't let me save the port in port forwarding. I've run into the issue before so I usually just change the port to something easy to remember like 7777 that I know for a fact isn't in use. No issues now, able to connect directly to my external IP, just in Starbound add ":7777" (without the quotes and whatever port you decide to use) after the IP in the multiplayer connection.

5. Nanook13

Nanook13 Orbital Explorer

I'm unable to do port forwarding for the most part and firewall doesn't like Hamachi. ;-; I just want to Starbound with friends without U-Verse eating my happiness. I am a sad panda.

6. Nekoi

Nekoi Poptop Tamer

I've opened and forwarded the port and it still does not let me connect to the server any tips? I have my computer assigned to 192.168.200 and the default port forwarded to that ip and everything. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

7. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Stuperduck77 there is no default password..? Ask whoever is hosting the server.
    @liverdog Here you go:
    @Nekoi 192.168.200 is not a valid IPv4 address. Addresses have four segments, try 192.168.1.200 instead.
    @MrWoofWoof What application is giving you that error? A port forwarder? Your router? Starbound?

8. MrWoofWoof

It was my router, and it's okay. I was stupid and forgot about my firewall. Had to allow it. I used to be good with these things, it had just been a while since I forwarded my port for anything. Every thing working nicely.

9. Keralix

Keralix Lucky Number 13

Do you need Hamachi to be able to portforward? i was messing around with it the other day but i could only get it to work when i used hamachi. (friends hate hamachi)

10. Coffeeman

@Keralix Nope! You can portforward via your routers configuration. However, Hamatchi can be used if you don't want to port forward. If you want help portforwarding, talk to me!
    @Ian how do you mean? You have to have a router somewhere for you to have internet... >:? Can you make sure you don't? Or you could use hamachi :)

11. Keralix

Keralix Lucky Number 13

Hiya Coffeeman, I just want to thank you for helping me with this. Know I do have some experience with fort forwarding with Minecraft but I might be missing a step here. Alright so first I got to my router online then i go to advanced and then port forwarding. Afterwards i make sure that my iPv4 address is what i have set up for the port forward. Then after that i go to my windows firewall and make sure that the port is going threw. Then after that I run the server (never messed with the settings within the server config that might be the problem if so where is that file located.) Then after that when I try and join on my ip address it says that it was unable to connect or something along those lines I'm currently at school right now so i cant check the message. Is there anything that im doing wrong here? Thanks a lot Coffeeman for the offer
    ~Keralix

PS Im going to my last 2 classes now and will be back online in about 2-3 hours thanks again!
    PSS I dont know why but couldnt start a conversation with you so this is the next best thing i guess.

12. Coffeeman

@Keralix in the steam folder for starbound (you can find this by right clicking on starbound and then clicking properties, going to the Local Files tab and clicking show) and then go to the assets folder. In there there is a file called server.config . Line 7 should read:
    Code:
      "upnpPortForwarding" : true,
    can you try changing it to
    Code:
      "upnpPortForwarding" : false,
    and restarting your server?
    If nothing changes, change it back. Other things to try:
    1. Otherwise, what port are you forwarding? It should be 12025 in TCP mode, and (if you have one) the active checkbox must be marked.
    2. Try checking your local IP using ipconfig from the command line (or ifconfig if on linux) and using that IP for port forwarding.
    If both things don't work, can you post some screenshots of what your doing?

P.S. What OS and Router are you using?
    P.P.S No problem, happy to help!

13. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

How exactly would I use my Hamachi IP for my Starbound server? Sorry. I am very unintelligent.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out!

14. Coffeeman

Hey @UltraSnaky I'm not too familiar with Hamachi, but it seems like you should be hosting a network on your server, and telling your friends to connect to that. Is that what you are doing? What do you mean Hamachi IP?

15. UltraSnaky

Don't worry, I figured it out now.

16. iuvius

iuvius Space Spelunker

pleas tell me how

17. UltraSnaky

All I did was enter my Hamachi IP when it asked for the server address, and "duckies" for the password ("swordfish" and "duckies" are the 2 default passwords). Obviously I had to create a Hamachi network and invite all my friends onto it, which is very easy, if you aren't familiar with Hamachi.

18. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

well I've done everything to port forward, I got into my modem/router settings and added 21025 as a UNP and TNP (or whatever those 2 things are) under the BOTH option, I've shut down firewall, I added 21025 and starbound as an exception, I've tried everything with the "upnpPortForwarding" : false, and again with "upnpPortForwarding" : true, I've tried hamachi and evolve and I get the same error report saying "Client connect failed! Error connecting to (192.168.0.13) port (21025)" I don't put in a password, is their a password? my CMD ipconfig gives me this really long list of IPs and Im not sure which local address I should use Wireless LAN or Ethernet Adapter. none the matter I've tried them both anyways. When I try that http://ismyportopen.com/ it says every port is closed... I have done EVERYTHING! I've reinstalled 4 times...

19. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

20. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero