1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL - on survival changes.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Azraile, May 23, 2015.

?

Sellect the ones you agree with. (you can change at any time)

1. Having to eat for the hunger bar to stay full or you start to starve.

63.1%
  2. Only having to eat for buffs.

16.9%
  3. Varriant tempatuers depending on your surroundings aswell as the planet, requiring protective gear.

73.8%
  4. Ether high or low tempature, easly negated by nanosuits

10.8%
  5. Having something to supply you air being a thing you have to worry about the whole game.

52.3%
  6. Air supply no longer being a worry after you get your first nanosuit.

21.5%
  7. Difficutly settings having hunger, permadeath, and droping ores built in.

27.7%
  8. Stuff like hunger, permadeath, and droping ores on death being an option at all difficuty settings.

66.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Figured I would put this up given the mixed talks on how people like/dislike the changes to survival mechanics.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Hunger as long as I can remove it. Those that want it can have it, but I want no part of it.

Temperature based on hot and cold. Hot being a reverse cold meter like koala had.

Remove the oxygen from the hot cold and radiation nanosuits and have 2 nano suit slots.

That's all I want to be happy.

shannyxvx and Nazja like this.
  3. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Agreed. I love the old Hunger system but I know it's not for everyone. There should be an option for people to not have to use it.

... I kinda hope that they add an additional difficulty mode on character creation called "easy". It would basically be like Casual with the inclusion of the Hunger mechanic. I wanna play casual, but I also want a little survival aspect.

And since we're talking hunger, what do you guys think of this?

Nazja likes this.
  4. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

5. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

Hmm. I've only played the latest stable , so I don't feel I have the required experience to cast a vote.

6. DrgnKakashi

DrgnKakashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Having the well fed buff would make more sense if you actually starved to death.

A backpack would make sense to supply the oxygen not the suit.

The Difficulty settings I don't have a problem with between dropping ores and perma death makes a lot of sense to me :D

7. Fluff

Fluff Title Not Found

I want things like hunger and temperature to worry about back in some form.
    I still hang around but I've quit playing because removing them took away almost any challenge in the game for me... I get that some people just want an easy ride, that's fine, I'm not complaining that you want something different than me but I personally don't find it fun. I need a challenge to have fun myself.

The game was (and still is) billed as "survive, discover, explore and fight" so I was incredibly disappointed to see the survive part removed.

DrgnKakashi likes this.
  8. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

9. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I still like the idea for nano suit slots with tiered plugins

Gives me ideas.

Air 1 - 1 extra minutes of air
    Air 2 - 3 extra minutes of air
    Air 3 - 10 minutes of air
    Air 4 - 30 minutes of air
    Air 5 - 3 hours of air

Cold/heat 1 - 25% reduction in temp affect
    Cold/heat 2 - 25% reduction in temp affect and 5 minutes at 50%
    Cold/heat 3 - 50% reduction in temp affect and 5 minutes at 75%
    Cold/heat 4 - 50% reduction in temp affect and 15 minutes at 75%
    Cold/heat 5 - 75% reduction in temp affect and 15 minutes immunity.
    (Not dual protection just both the same)

Radiation 1 - 1 minute immunity
    Rad 2 - 3 minute immunity
    Rad 3 - 25% damage reduction 5 minutes immunity
    Rad 4 - 50% damage reduction 15 minutes immunity
    Rad 5 - 75% damage reduction 30 minute immunity

That covers the suits there are now but like I said could add ones for oil, traction, burn, poison, lava and other bad status affects

Or could add some that buff you with stuff like regen, energy, glow, light and the like

10. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

It would be cool to have to worry about some things except in certain situations. Like in some special dungeons that supply air etc.

Sometimes not having air in a dungeon can be exciting though, like maybe you need to escape a room before it runs it of run or run out of a temple filling with gas.

How about they jack up monster spawn and dungeon spawn rates, but put in hunger and temperature and stuff to slow down planet progression. That way you don't have those huge voids of just nothing on a planet.

11. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah that's why I'm not a big fan of the air nano suit being so early in the game, and the fact before things didn't increes your air supply just made it unlimited, what is so wrong with carring some air tanks?

12. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Should NEVER force harsh difficulty settings on people, make them selectable options. Issues with "balance" mean nothing too other players if you are on single player. Want the harsher settings on your server? cool. Want it on single player? cool. But DON'T force this on people who don't want it. Options, give people options.

And don't tell people to rely on mods, as these can become outdated by mod authors who get burnt out on keeping them up to date. I like the idea of harder survival as an option, so i can have a hard character and an easy character. Not every one plays JUST casual, or JUST hardcore all the time. I like both, and i am sure others do as well.

A note, the above might come off as angry or something of that nature, its not. ^_^ Just giving my own opinion on the whole thing plus defending my position from arguments i have heard before. Also, i voted on 2 3 5 and 7.

Chrillzilla likes this.
  13. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I agree, I want to reach through the screen and smack people some time when there answer for everything is, make it my way and you can mod it yours. x.x really? x.x

And I can not see how some on could possibly think giving players lots of optional game settings is lazy game making where there forcing players to make developmental dissensions for them them?!?!?! WTF, how dose that make sense? The more freedom you give players to make the game there game, the more fun they are going to have..... how can you possibly see this as a bad thing?

R_C_A^ likes this.
  14. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Becuse its false :p.

People arent as clever as you make them out to be. If you give them too many options they are unlikely to choose the options that would make the game most enjoyable for them. Simply becuse people dont realy know what they would like in many situations (even if they think they do).

Btw, i include myself when i say that, so i dont mean to offend someone.

Its similar too what happens with cheats and exploits, if you give players access to a cheat or exploit in a realy quick and easy way they will be hard tempted to use them, even if they regret it afterwards. I know that i myself have deleted a couple of chars becuse i fell for the temptation of using /spawnitem and regretted it afterwards.

And also, it is lazy game design, thats just a fact. That dosent necessarly mean its all bad, but from a game design perspective alone its certainly lazy.

15. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

It takes more time to make stuff like that optional than standard how is that lazy? It may take a play through or two but you can tell what you want from a game, so what if you make a mistake or two that is how you learn. People seam to think doing something wrong is the worst thing in the world but like some one said you didn't fail you succeeded in finding another way not to do it.

16. Garatgh Deloi

Your confusing "game design" with "game development". Doing more work has nothing to do with the design itself.

We arent saying that the "devs would be lazy and do less", we are saying "the game design would be lazy".

Edit: Also, note that im just arguing against this "The more freedom you give players to make the game there game, the more fun they are going to have..... how can you possibly see this as a bad thing?".

I dont necessarly mean it would be a bad idea to make the survival features optional.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    yclatious likes this.
  17. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Let's just agree lazy is a poor word for it. It is about making it optional to please everyone rather than making a choice, that is your argument.

But I see giving options for these kinda choices is far better than aiming to please the lowest common denominator and that is what has caused so many games to devolve into so much crap.

18. Garatgh Deloi

Doing some things optional may be beneficial for a game, the survival elements discussed may very well be one of those (i cant honestly say for certain).

But the devs should allways be carefull when it comes to makeing things optional, its a dangerous path to travel.

So im just trying to say that "just make it optional, it will please everyone" is a very flawed and shallow argument, that shouldent be made in such a way. A rather more sensible way to make the suggestion would be "perhaps the devs should look into makeing this future optional and see if that works", becuse its not at all such a simple issue/decision, like most people seems to think.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    NerArth likes this.
  19. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I agree it is a dangerous thing to try and please everyone. However, this is beta, so as many options SHOULD be tested on us as possible to see what works. That's where those features that work get further developed and poor designs get dropped.

Besides, those that want to cling to old designs have mods to do so. Essentially everyone can have the game they want... But it should be a complete game that the devs want first.

20. I never really saw the point of the hunger system. It's completely negated by simply carrying a giant stack of X food (for me it was Ocumelon). I think the buff food idea is a good direction to go, but I feel like the food buffs should last much longer (sorta like what WoW does with food).

I do recall seeing old mock-ups that had resistances being a thing based on gear, and it was a good idea at the time, but it's now purely a gating mechanic. let's face it, the previous version of warmth was pretty much strictly a gating mechanism as well, it just boned you if you got a cold biome on your starting planet.

NerArth and Mackinz like this.