1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

(Poll) Do you like the new hotbar?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Chris1488, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How is the new hotbar?

1. I think it's great!

27.1%
  2. I have mixed feelings on it...

36.9%
  3. I hate it.

30.8%
  4. I don't care.

5.1%
  1. Ghunter43

Ghunter43 Void-Bound Voyager

Yep - I agree. Specifically,
    Though I have adapted, I still can't have fun as I used to have or can't be as free with my ingame item transactions as I'd like. Its sad, played this game for a while and used to have a blast figuring where to loot/explore and now I can't even exit my starter planet. GJ Chucklefish, GJ.

2. AngelusNox

AngelusNox Void-Bound Voyager

The most terrible thing i found about the Hotbar so far is the fact that you can now deselect something pressing the number once more AND being able to thow away a equiped item with "q".
    No idea how many items i lost by this seemingly unnassasary function.

3. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

You could always toss items with Q, but you can easily rebind it. Though I do understand the deselecting part. I hope they implement an items history feature, so when something is deselected, it reverts to whatever action slot was previously used.

4. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

That's why I have always rebound Q to be the inventory instead. No idea why that moron Notch thought it'd be a great idea to have "throw item away" closer than "open inventory which is used way more often".
    Too bad they don't let us unbind the slot deselection.

That's gonna happen as likely as they'll add an option to turn off the deselection or give us an option to use the old hotbar again.
    Also I think that'd be even more confusing :eek:

5. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Why are people complaining about number deselection, exactly?
    Before, pressing the number of the item you had equipped did literally nothing. Ergo, it's unlikely people went around pressing the number of the item they had equipped, as that would have been pointless.

So I don't see how it can possibly be a problem to now have this feature, unless people actually did constantly press the button of the item they already have equipped for reasons unknown.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Sometimes an emergency situation happens and you, in a panic, tap the key.

Let's say for example I'm walking on a planet, and I kill something, but I get hit and I swap to my bandaids and I use a bandaid.

About 2 minutes later, I scale a mountain (with bandaids still equipped -- I forgot to swap back to my sword) and start down the other side.

OH NO, I slipped and fell! I am now almost dead and I hear that dreaded "FWOOP" sound and I hit the bandaid key and click while preparing to do some evasive jumps.... uh... Click? Click? No heals?

in the confusion, I mis-time a jump and I die.

Respawn on ship......oh.......my hands were empty because the stupid game de-selected the bandaids.

Now, you see back during the OLD Hotbar in Glad, if you de-select a hotbar button, IT RETURNED TO THE L/R DEFAULTS and it would have been plainly obvious what happened when I would have been swinging my sword. This was something we were used to.

However, to have it just de-select to empty hands when WE ALREADY HAD AN EMPTY HANDS BUTTON is just pointless and redundant.

EDIT: Also there's an annoying bug with this hotbar that I REALLY hate. I don't know how it happens, but occasionally I find that my hotbar will for no apparent reason, dump an item out of it. I'll have, say, 150 bandaids, and then go to heal a bit later and.....the bandaids are out of my hotbar but in my inventory. It is annoying as all crap.

7. Dragon911X

Dragon911X Void-Bound Voyager

I LOVE the fact that you can basically duplicate items like the flashlight. That way its not like it's own 10 slot inventory.

The thing I hate now though, is how limited it is. What I usually liked doing, was having a 2-handed sword, a 1-handed sword and gun for super fast shots, an auto rifle, either a sniper or rocket gun, then the standard health stuff, blocks, food, torches, flashlight and tent.

Essentially instead of having the 10 slots PLUS L/R hands, we get (depending on what you use and how you use it) a whopping SIX SLOTS. This wouldn't be an issue for me if you could scroll for a separate hotbar. Ideally one for weapons, then one for healing, exploring and placing stuff down.

There's a matter manipulator. Why not make it so matter gets broken down and stored in side the manipulator (as a second inventory for blocks and furniture)?

Also, who thought it was a good idea for food not to stack?

8. Shaadaris

Hm. I suppose that's a reason.
    Welp, better get mad at me, 'cause I was one of the people who requested number-deselection as a feature >.>
    Although I think it'd be better to implement a configurable default slot that can be switched to instead, akin to Sean's suggestion.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If it's the suggestion I think you mean, that you can specify a hotbar slot to "default" to, then I would support that, because at least then you're not defenseless. I could set it to #1 and always put my main weapon in #1 that way if I deselect anything (INCLUDING my Matter Manipulator!) it would default back to #1, that way #1 would be just like the L/R in Beta.

That would work nicely.

And no, I'm not going to get mad at you. I'm sure you had some reason to ask for it, even if I don't understand why you'd want to empty your hands, lol (esp when you already got an empty hands hotkey). Ah well. To each their own, I suppose.

I do think, however, CF shoulda made it an option, at least in the config file or SOMETHING.

Shaadaris and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  10. Shaadaris

I thought it was better than having it do literally nothing...
    And personal bias as I rarely made use of the LR slots and mostly used them as "empty hand" slots since no such thing existed at the time, so for me it was always an "empty hands" deal.

11. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I can see the appeal of being able to equip "nothing", sort of. At least for roleplay reasons or if you don't want an accidental click to hit some NPC or something. Unfortunately, for me (and "unfortunately for me", sans punctuation), the LR slots really formed the core of the old hotbar's functions, as they were rightly designed to do.

(that's why my design provides the option of having both! :p)

Jareix Cryvix and Shaadaris like this.
  12. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well... it's been a while. Still no news on this front, I see?

13. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Mixed Feelings
    I preffered original one but now i forgot the experience before 1.x.x
    But one thing is still worse than original
    You can't change your hotbar using a button which is frustrating that you have to move your mouse to change your hotbar into "X" mode for example "Mining"
    MMORPG's have at least the shift + 1 / F1 / F1+1 mechanic which is OK
    not great but ok

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Average MMORPGs also have a 10-12 button hotbar, too. We only have 6.

Pingeh likes this.
  15. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Which is divided by 2 with the second one having an extra button
    We also have 12 button hotbar but how i said
    you need to navigate your mouse to change your "deck" of item buttons

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, we have 6 pairs of buttons on two bars for a total of 12 pairs.

Most modern MMOs have 10x 10-12 button bars for a total of 100-120.

Now, I don't think SB needs 100+ buttons, but 2x 10-12 pairs would have been awesome.

Having only 6 without switching banks is awkward and unwieldly and I really don't understand why, after all of the mockups that we've presented that they haven't improved this. Some of the mockups had rather excellent UI art, even so it surely would have been trivial to do so.

17. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

Still just liked the old hotbar better. Just wish they would either give us the option to pick in game or let us mod it.

18. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I despised it until I hit the toggle hotbar button on accident. Now I actually like it better. I have a combat bar and a building bar so it works pretty well and I dont have to stretch to hit the 7 or 8 key for something or have to rearrange it when I switch tasks.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  19. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Doesnt pressing 'x' switch hotbars? Or am i misunderstanding something here

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Even with setting one bar for building and one for adventuring, I still run into issues. Such as...

I'd like to have:

1 Melee Weapon (It'd be nice if I could have a 2H and a 1H+Shield)
    1 Grappling Gun/Ropes
    1 Bow
    1 Gun
    1 Bug Net (because I play Frackin'Universe and catching bees is actually a part of gameplay)
    1 Torch
    1 Bandaids
    1 Healing Staff if I find one

Note, that's 8-9 (9-10 if I include a flashlight). Back when we had the old hotbar, I also had Dirt on a button so I could build platforms to mine ore out of backwalls I couldn't reach or climb up/down safer.

I do not want to be switching bars in the middle of battle.