1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

(Poll) Do you like the new hotbar?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Chris1488, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How is the new hotbar?

1. I think it's great!

27.1%
  2. I have mixed feelings on it...

36.9%
  3. I hate it.

30.8%
  4. I don't care.

5.1%
  1. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do wonder when the next official response from the devs regarding so much as an acknowledgement of the issue of the hotbar will be. Been a while since the last one. I even made a decent mockup/sketch for a theoretically "best of both worlds" design, with explanation of the functions.

2. Ghunter43

Ghunter43 Void-Bound Voyager

Absolutely hate it, clunky, useless and not at all practical and functional.
    -Can no longer shift click items onto the first empty hotbar spot;
    -Can no longer pick an item from a spot and drag it to another spot (you need to de-select it and then search for the item AND THEN drag it to the spot you want);
    -No longer useful for multi-weapon combat, granted you can prepare for an eventual fight, but unexpected stuff happens, you never know when you might want to use an axe as opposed to the one handed sword/shield combo you have, and having to deal with all that matter leaves you open to attacks for a very long time, which could very well mean your demise. Which, in some gamemodes (coughs hardcore coughs), it is the complete opposite of the point of it.

So I don't know, it is a direct downgrade of the previous one, which was simple but functional and practical.

samv and endertrot like this.
  3. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I agree. The old hotbar system was so much easier to use (and more useful) than this one, the only problem with it was that the game never explained how to use Leftclick and Rightclick for left hand and right hand.

4. Sean Mirrsen

It did have the two large mousebutton-shaped slots labeled L and R up in the top center of the screen. There's only so obvious an UI can get. :p

5. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

having to pull your fingers across the keyboard, away from the movement keys made the slots on the far end of the hotbar less viable

having the other half of the hotbar under the x key has me using those slots far more frequently

Raindrac likes this.
  6. Sean Mirrsen

Isn't it easier to use the mouse hand? You're not using the active item anyway if you need to switch it.

7. evilnancyreagan

Clicking? Defeats the purpose of the hotbar, dunnit?

8. Sean Mirrsen

No, like actually using the hand. Unless it's glued to your mouse, which... is probably a thing that might happen.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  9. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Alternatively, the scrollwheel. Something which many people seem to (in)convieniently forget exists.

endertrot likes this.
  10. evilnancyreagan

oh god,

my mousewheel is free-spinning, i'd scroll through the whole hotbar 3 1/2 times if I barely touch it. Just forget any fine, precision control!

11. Shaadaris

Wait, there are free-spinning mousewheels that don't have a button to make them click into place again?
    That sounds terrible. Move your mouse too fast and your wheel might start spinning on its own.
    I can understand it as an option (although I tend to fiddle with mine's free-function more than actually utilize it) but as the only option?

12. evilnancyreagan

no, it still function as mousebutton3 but, it spins like it's free of sins

if it locks, that function is not made evident to me.

This is a Microsoft branded peripheral, mind you.

13. Sean Mirrsen

That explains everything.

14. Shaadaris

Ah, yes, lock. That's what I meant by click into place. Don't know how I missed that.
    ...And Microsoft... WHY? I mean I understand using stuff like Windows because the competitors have a few major downsides, but for mice?

Edit: Okay I'm getting kind of off topic, but what more is there to say about the hotbar, really. It's been analyzed to death and beyond.

15. evilnancyreagan

you got me,

Microsoft should be making peripheral like Ben & Jerry's should be making fitness DVDs. A classic case of putting the feature cart ahead of the end user experience horse.

BloodyRain2k likes this.
  16. Shaadaris

That is a very accurate description of Microsoft in general. Except the horse is actually a horse-shaped cardboard cutout because the horse is broken or removed, and the cart has triangular wheels because triangles are apparently the in thing. Oh and cameras or something but I dunno where their inane spying would fit into this metaphor.

17. Sean Mirrsen

/me looks at the "dual-wielding enabled" hotbar and wonders if the Microsoft thing transmits via Skype or something.

18. Ghunter43

Ghunter43 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe so, but then again, 1 to 5 are the keys that are most used for weapons/healing items, while 6 to 9 are largely used for construction material or filler material (like dirt).
    I'd like the old bar but with shifting options. Instead of having 12 crude hotbar spots we'd have 18 *real* (as in, actual items, not their shortcut) hotbar spots. Instead of having only 6 places to use weapons from you could possibly have 10 (if the two hotbars are used). I would figure you'd have more options then, but instead we have this crude hotbar reminiscent of a crude console port.
    One can argue that its a "nerf" to the hotbar by making it slightly less useful (as to why it baffles me) by reducing the hotbar to just a meager shortcut place. Either case, its not pretty.
    Not to mention the obvious bash on two-handed weapon users, which makes you waste an entire slot (that wasn't such an alarming case when you had a lot of slots to use from). At least, I feel its a waste of a spot using two-handed weapons like broadswords.

Curious how all the people I know that like the new hotbar haven't played the game in the past a lot nor even have even seen the previous one.

19. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Most people who like it don't even know the old one, that's WHY they like it, they have no reference.
    Most people who played before want the old back because aside of certain edge cases is the new one just worse.
    Some people didn't like the old and like the new, some don't like the new despite not knowing the old. I remember atleast one person describing how they'd like the hotbar to be instead and it sounded very much like the old one :p

And yeah the further back buttons weren't fast reachable, that's why you simply did NOT put high prio items there, like the boat controller or as you said too dirt or platforms, or just low use case weapons like I did.
    Though the back ones were kinda fast reachable too if you just pressed R and then used mousewheel up.

Here's a sum up of me about why we should have the choice http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/the-new-toolbar-is-terrible.118952/page-6#post-2983282

Ghunter43 likes this.
  20. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

THANK YOU!! Someone else remembers that it exists! I was beginning to think i was the only one using it!