1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleased Giraffe

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Aug 29, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yes, that too.

And they need to tone down the ore saturation. I love rolling in the ores as much as the next person, but when a single planet run nets me like 2-300 ores of each type, it kinda loses its appeal. Id prefer if each (tier 5) ore type was tied to its own planet instead, but thats just me.

2. That's honestly not a bad idea, Make it like Rubium is found on Dead/Volcanic Worlds, Volium on Frozen planets, perhaps Agisalt on something else.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Issue there is Frozen planets are tier 5, and volcanic is tier 6, so you would aquire volium first. Probably a simple split of each planet having a 33% chance of having one of the ore types.

4. I meant the new one they're working on. There are a couple of biomes they're working on. This one used to be called Tundra, but now it's something else, like Ice or Frozen or something.

Point is, a little re-balancing on ore distribution would probably do the game some good.

5. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Oh thank goodness...someone with a well thought out, intellectual assessment of the game as it is. I agree with all of your points except a few. Unfortunately, my game experience has been tarnished with mods (I just can't play this without Frakin' Universe...I need it, man, I NEED IT!). From what I have seen, this update has made vanity items nonexistent, and has made village shopkeepers (Avian, in particular) pants-on-head-retarded (Come with me to my shop! *walks to shop, gets there, turns around and heads back home despite you standing next to him. Or he leaps onto the stall roof). It seems that you can no longer speak with village NPCs, and guards don't care if you walk around with weapons anymore, though it's possible both of these effects are from mods. Humanoid enemy NPC AI is odd, as they seem to now have a leash; they chase you so far, then they seem to get really confused and conflicted if they should keep going or not, and you can just shoot them from a distance with your pitiful gun (Only type of gun I've found so far).
    On a related note to vanity items...why does no one sell clothing anymore?! Everyone sells food, some meh weapons, and random racial furniture that you can literally pick up within ten steps of them.

6. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this was/is in preperation to the now ongoing "Combat tuning" nightlies.
    As far as I remember the devs said they wanted to implement guards/people chasing the player if he looted from them/the settlement.

Oh, and settlement guards still chase me if I don't holster my weapon in the current stable.

7. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

On Critters: YES. SUCH YES. WHY CAN I NOT FORCE THEM INTO MY NET TO BE MY FRIENDS? It is literally the first thing I did. My husband just watched confused as I ran about with my bug net yelling BE MY FRIENDS DAMMIT!

Dungeons: Yeeaaahhhh, getting mobbed by 4 guys who were stationed elsewhere in the temple but wandered just close enough to get aggro'd as you enter is a real buzz kill.

Underground: Wall ore is cool. Spikes are scary. Challenge rooms can use work but I like the direction they are heading in.

Weapons: I actually felt the opposite. I usually go two handed sword (which is hard as a Novakid, but my husband played a Glitch so he just made my weapons) but...as said Novakid I did try guns. I hated them. I mean maybe that's just my playstyle? My husband had a blast with shotguns (why can we not craft shotguns?) but we both felt all other guns were really weak.

Staves: You didn't mention them but I feel like they could use work. I also think they would work better if they fixed some of the AI movement like you suggested. Hell that might be all they need to do. But as of now all you can do is charge up and...bam they are on you and you're almost dead. You can't move while casting....there's gotta be SOMETHING that deters them from noming you while charging. Also...are staves supposed to damage you as well? On occasion my own staff will hurt me o_O But man I want staves to work. I MUST live my dream of being a technomancer @_@

Farming: I don't know why but I LOVE farming and fishing in games. I think hunger could be a good idea to make it really worthwhile...but also consider having different foods give different buffs? Maybe toxictop when prepared correctly can make you immune to poison for a period of time?

On Crafting: Being able to add your own elemental damage to your craftable weapon would just be...so amazing. Yes. So much yes.

Crafting Blocks: I love the lattice work blocks for gardening. There are SO many homes being invaded by flies on many worlds due to my need for latticework. Also Fairy lights. How are these not craftable yet? I totally get some blocks not being 3D printable or craftable but there are others that seem like we should be able to buy the pattern for at least.

Navigation UI: Yes and No. No spinning...unless you're thinking the spinning can stop once I wanna pick a planet. I am not that coordinated.

Colony: Haven't tried the system yet, but can't wait!

Bosses (and to a lesser extent events): YESSSS. But the implementation needs to be careful. Can we summon them? Do they come randomly? Is it a mix? I mean Terraria had some cool events but they got so annoying after a while when they'd spawn back to back. Gotta reign it in.

Everything else is yes. Yesyesyes. I like you. You make good suggestions in a manner that is fun to read and not insulting.

Lindazana likes this.
  8. Silver_Wolf_No1

Silver_Wolf_No1 Void-Bound Voyager

just wanna ask if spears are good or atleast viable in this new version?
    I always want to do a spear playthrough but previous version they were not very good :)

9. They've always been viable, it's all a matter of playstyle. I would love to see them with a bit longer range, but that might just be me.

10. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

The critters can be placed as pets with the xxswatelitexx custom pets mod I think, but you need to choose only one of them in this case. :/

Also, very interesting feedback. ^^

11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

@Izzabelle
    Well another lovely read... I agree with most of it, now that you mention it, but I have to reserve my call on certain things; since I've only just recently gotten off the starter planet.

The only thing I can see that rings anything differently is the AI of enemy NPCs. I actually like it personally, although there should be some variety in behavior. Not every group is going to be expert team work. Maybe having a pool of AIs they draw from, if not personality traits. After all sometimes there is someone that is lazy or maybe even pride so much it gets them or their team mates killed. Not all are coordinated, that would be something for the devs to thing about. This would diversify the dungeons AI inhabitants to be surprising to a degree.

Sure take on one brings them all running or a good amount of them in one dungeon, but might run into the very same dungeon and some are sleeping on the job. That would be a nice touch I would think.

Of course the AI itself does need a bit of tweaking. That is one aspect of the game I wasn't having much problem with, at least the monsters. Did run across the avian tower which I just had to lure and decimate a short distance away. two at once or one at a time. I wasn't going to touch the prison on the planet after seeing that kind of behavior. I could only imagine from that point. I will probably go back to my starter planet to check it out eventually, but they do seem a little too accurate; and in that much I do agree.

As to the armor not benefiting much... They help with weapons, although not sure how much effect it does in the long run for obvious reason of just finally making it to the outpost where I left off. So far in the beginning I did notice a slight difference in protection, as I was not loosing health as much as I was without that full set of iron. So I have to say I probably agree with that.

I avoided the challenge rooms I found, of which only 2. I knew it was more or less parquor or well what you mentioned. Although there is supposedly a mob killing one in the mix as well. that does need a bit of variety for those that don't platform much. I probably could do a few of them, but fail them more often than not like yourself. I hope there are some additions and tweaks they make in the future for those.

The first thing I noticed, even in the unstable when this first came out was the new inventory thing. I manually sort my things, so that button I just don't use. However due to the pickup problem I am experiencing more time in inventory than in the prior update, when tabs are not full, but a specific one is. *sigh* I don't mind it much, but would be nice to continue to pick up stuff for how much inventory we have. So yes I agree to that fully. Also would be nice if the crafting tables would go to the first tab when crafted, but that is just me... and does make sense that they go in to the furniture tab.

Overall the only thing that annoys me so far is the pickup thing. The rest just needs some improvement here and their, which I can expect in the future.:)

12. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

I've always found Spears fun to use on random monsters.
    However, when facing humanoid or boss fights it's difficult to get around no Parry or Block.
    It's possible, but being able to deflect damage is kind of over powered in Starbound.

13. Yeah, it's a little annoying that a crappy sword/shield combo is far more effective than an amazing two-handed weapon. It may take longer to kill things, but you take far less damage.

14. Grilled Salmon

Grilled Salmon Big Damn Hero

Does anyone know the reason they removed the ability to craft pickaxes? Was it an attempt to force people to use the matter manipulator?

The current inability of a space-fairing character to put a sideways metal spike on a stick to move rocks is a bit silly, IMO.

15. There are others that would debate that space-fairing characters shouldn't need to put a metal spike on a stick to move rocks. You can craft drills later on, but there isn't really a point unless your burrowing though really strong blocks. The Matter-manipulator becomes crazy powerful if you just keep upgrading it.

EDIT: Additionally, the purpose of pickaxes has changed from being a staple of mining, to a fun way to boost speed temporarily (for hard to break blocks).

16. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

If only ALL feedback were that informative and entertaining! Well done, Izzabelle!

I agree that the surface looks fantastic now. The critters add so much life to the game. It's like they were made for the capture pods, but apparently that's not the case.

Personally, I'd like to see sectionss of the underground that don't have background tiles... That would give the feeling of a true cavern instead of a simple tunnel.

Organized crafting. Yes. Please yes. If it were up to me, crafting tables would make furniture (including other crafting stations) and blocks, furnace does what it currently does (though I'd make the mysterious ashes something you do at a campfire so we don't have to have it clogging the crafting menu), and anvil does tools, weapons, and armor. You get the idea.

Also, level up that basic cooking table to a counter with a sink or something.

I could go on, but you've done a pretty comprehensive job. Hopefully I'll be paying attention next time you post one!

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Meh, I disagree about the challenge rooms, npc combat, and my experience with the upgrade components is a different beast entirely.(namely: It's great :) ,npc combat is still vunerable to dirty tricks :) ,and I have too many upgrade items without a need to use them :eek: ) but i do like some of your other suggestions. Especially the need for navigation fixes and more music.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  18. Please remember that feedback threads are for the base game -- as anything can be accomplished with modding.

Please take off-topic questions to their own threads, or to the FAQ board

19. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Yeah sorry, just trying to find a solution as I can, I know modding have it's limits but sometimes I have nothing to do so I try to be helpful. ^^'

20. Looks like we're getting unique hand crafted monsters!! #CFListens :nuruflirt: