1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Please stop updating Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I can't play this game. I haven't been able to get on for the past two days and counting. I don't use very many mods. A few of the ones I do use aren't updated, and I'm unsure if they will be. Back in my day, video games were released when they were done, and done when they were released.

Please. I'm begging you. Leave Starbound to the modders. Fix all the bugs left in the game and direct your resources to making other games. I think Lenna's Inception looks awesome. I want to play that. I know I'm going to be berated and mocked because my opinion is not the popular one, and I've come to terms with that, because that's how the world works. I am serious, though. Starbound is well-polished. I want to play more of your games. Don't become typecast as "That company that made Starbound". Look at Markus Persson. He will forever be known as the inventor of Minecraft. He probably hates that, because that's all he'll be known for, and not any of his other creations.

Roselle and Firebird Zoom like this.
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Contact the mod owners, look for alternatives - very few mods have completely unique content. Other than that, see if you can find out how to fix the mod yourself, I've done so too before I started modding here. Or ask in the modding forums whether someone can fix the mods you speak of.
    That's the better solution than depriving future content for everyone else.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Lenna's Inception isn't being developed by Chucklefish, though. Only published.

And I must disagree. Starbound is a good game, yes. But it has issues that can potentially be addressed in future updates. The devs can use it as an opportunity to make the game's mechanics more coherent and beneficial, giving them a bit more of a direction than the current mishmash there is at the moment. That's not even getting into pure expansion of content, which can greatly aid the game's longevity. "Leaving it to the modders" may well have the same effect on that front, but quality isn't a guarantee. You've also got the assumption that everyone uses mods, which isn't necessarily the case. I doubt many would be impressed if Chucklefish did end up leaving most of the work for modders, since it'd look like a pretty big cop-out on their behalf. Like they got backed into a corner, threw up their hands in defeat, and left the community to fix their own game.

Waffle-Chan and Gredd18 like this.
  4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Not to mention that most mods work with practically all versions without inherently requiring updates (Except for those that use content that has been altered, or something; but practically the only mod that is so big as to require this is FU).

5. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

Well polished you say? You do notice the glaring optimization issues and the serious lack of, for lack of a better word, content right?
    I get it, Its a sand box, build, explore and destroy. With updates like this, it becomes much more. I mean it has a story, not the best, but hey its something.

If its about mods you like not working any more, ohh well, just ask the mod creators if they will update it or take the time and learn yourself.

kittentamer and STCW262 like this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

*blinks*

Wow, such an odd thread....

Stop updating Starbound? Why? Because you downloaded mods whose authors can't keep up? You could either update said mods yourself by tweaking them so that they still work, or, simply drop the mod(s) in question that won't play nice because the authors are not dedicated enough to continue updating.

Modding is serious work, and it should only be undertaken by those who are willing to put the work in to keep it up-to-date. If someone is not one of those people, then they should not make mods, period.

Especially mods like Race Mods. Though even those you can usually work around, though it might mean doing things like removing content from them.

This 1.3 update is awesome. I love the Mech combat, I love the blocks they added, I really like some of the other changes.... what you're proposing is that we not get future updates like this and I'd have to say I couldn't disagree more.

CF, please keep updating Starbound... I really like the content you add. This mech stuff has been sheer awesome and it has added a lot to the game.

@Iaeyan Elyuex : Try removing the mods that have not been updated? Most mods will simply cause PGIs to appear in your inventory, unless it's a race mod. And even then, you can change your race by tweaking your Player file. There is probably a way to fix your character, and we could help you do so, so that you can play again.

Just, in the future... watch what mods you download. Don't download anything that will irrevocably break your character if removed unless you seriously trust that either A). the mod author will keep it up to date, or B ) . it is unlikely to break in future SB updates.

For this reason, smaller mods are usually better (except for FU); that way it's more contained. A few PGIs... meh whatever. An all-in-one mod that completely breaks your savefile? no thanks.

EDIT: Auto-Emoticons suck.

kittentamer and SnailsAttack like this.
  7. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I think what we actually want is a way to choose versions. This has been a thing in Minecraft forever, and boy so people get a lot of use out of it for playing with outdated mods. Right now we have to make manual backups if we want an old version (and if you didn't make it before it was replaced, you're out of luck). So... Version selection menu? Pretty please?

kittentamer, Roselle and DraikNova like this.
  8. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

At least when playing the game via steam this should be doable.
    I am thinking of the same solution that is used by e.g. Paradox Interactive.
    They include older versions to select in the game's Properties->Betas dropdown in the steam library.
    That way newer patches can still be rolled out hassle free while the user can choose to stay on an older version and ignore the patch for now.

kittentamer likes this.
  9. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If I'm honest, I'd much prefer that they keep updating, but include some way to rollback to previous updates in the case that we want to use outdated mods / mess with beta content. Something like Minecraft. I'm kinda re-iterating what YellowDemonHurlr said here, don't mind me.

(EDIT: Fixed a spelling mistake.)

kittentamer and Roselle like this.
  10. VaeliusNoctu

VaeliusNoctu Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep Keep the good work im afraid about every update

11. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I don't want the game to sorta die and stop updating. Though mods being outdated thoroughly sucks.

The best way I'd see to handle it is this, make the update manual or add multiple versions; that way you can play modded until the modders update, update the game too, keep everything plus new content. It's not absolutely vital but would be a nice quality of life for existing worlds.

kittentamer likes this.
  12. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

nah, they can't stop updating until they put all the beta content in somewhere and give us an option to play without the protectorate story forced on us.

13. NiamhNyx

just skip the prologue, kill the erchuis eye and do what ever you want afterwards. that is pretty much the only required story quest. Need a bigger ship? hire crew members, for every 2 you get you get the upgrade license.
    Now as for the beta stuff, I do and dont want it back at the same time. The random monsters? yes. the sectors? no. the even more randomized weapons? maybe.

14. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

Please keep updating starbound

15. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I would love the ability to go back to old versions, I could relive the days where the grappling hook was extremely fun, and flinging myself around asteroid fields could give a hour of entertainment

or better yet, go back to starbound: bird-pocaplyse simulator...

16. NiamhNyx

ohh god, not the birds. I still have nightmares.

17. jjzthemanz

jjzthemanz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Also, when you split two of one kind of item, put them both in one slot on your toolbar, sort your inventory, and try to use them, it breaks your character. So that's nice.

(Edit/tl;dr: your new auto-stack feature broke my character, and now i gotta use starcheat to fix him)

18. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Mods coming and going is a part of life, you can't expect mod authors to devote their lives to keeping up a mod they don't use anymore (or on a game they don't play anymore). The ones that do are awesome, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

That said, I'll be around keeping up my Callistan mod for awhile, I have a special place in my heart for it!