Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riasiru

Riasiru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did it yesterday with T10 armor on a T3 planet. If your armor is high enough enemies simply won't do any damage.

2. Pizzarugi

Pizzarugi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please source the information where you heard about this power system?

Power and generation would totally fit in a game like Starbound so long as there's both primitive, modern (as in real life modern), and futuristic generators. By futuristic generators, I'm talking about compact fusion generators that can be easily assembled and used anywhere, but is generally late-game and requires some hefty materials to build. It also opens up a lot of possibilities into the game, like powering interior heating to make a base in harsh arctic environments or creating oxygen in otherwise unbreathable locations like space. Hell, being able to power modern light sources using the already-existing wires attached to generators would be awesome as hell. It would even give you a sense of micromanagement as you figure out where and how to divert power to accommodate towns and colonies.

Too bad what I just said isn't relevant to the main topic in the OP. Still, I'd like a source if you could provide one.

3. SemperDarky

SemperDarky Subatomic Cosmonaut

It happened when I came across the wiring tool (in-game), I decided to google it and I came up with this, not sure if it is accurate though but it must be near, as the wiring tool has already been implemented although with no function at the moment http://starbounder.org/Wiring
    I hope this gives you hope ;)

4. Chammy

Chammy Space Spelunker

Good job dodging all the other questions posed.

5. Riasiru

Riasiru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Simply put? I'm not so contrary as to argue every point you make. In fact, in posting examples I was specifically posting things that I didn't like about the game. So...

I agree on those points? Making brains a T2+ only drop is a good idea?... Umm... I don't know... As a glitch would say, "Insincerity. I hate you?"

6. Asvarduil

Asvarduil Astral Cartographer

I think a 'Warp Beacon' system is a great idea.

Ideally, you set up a Warp Beacon (it has a limited range), and when you activate one it shows a minimap of all of the beacons on the current planet. You just click a beacon, and the game warps you there.

Obviously, if you're trying to warp to a beacon that lies beyond the currently-used beacon's range, you'd need an intermediate beacon to be present to relay the signal, but otherwise it'd be similar to the Flight Paths in WoW.

7. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

Would also be cool to have some semi-rare one use item that instantly gets you to your ship or the surface...

8. KrazyKliff

KrazyKliff Aquatic Astronaut

An item For spawning somewhere else on the planet surface is needed for sure as far as teleporting underground goes i agree that it might remove some of the danger involved with mining instead maybe some sort of elevator or lift item might be a better idea allowing ease of access from the surface to that vein of ore or dungeon you found might be a better idea. Should make deep mining less tedious without adding a panic button.

9. Rrman

Rrman Space Hobo

Just make it take like 10 seconds to beam you up. If you get attacked then it's canceled. I guess you could still just wall yourself in and then teleport but I don't think anything is going to stop it from being used as a 'panic button'. Maybe have it require that there are no mobs present on screen but then you could just dig down or to the side out of the open cave system.

10. Coexist

Coexist The Number of the Minibeast

Teleport from underground up to the surface/ship Taking the Challenge out of mining and Adventure since Dec 7th

11. Darkness1421

Darkness1421 Space Spelunker

Just going to post a useful tip this said warp beacon you are talking about there is one quick way out of the underground and that is to just save and quit consider it save warping its also doubles as a safe save incase something might happen to your computer but regardless you just save and quit then reselect your character and then boom your back on your ship

12. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

For me it's more tedious getting back to where I was...not leaving(Save & Quit). I'd rather have a quicker way to get back underground...instead of up.

13. Birdovic

Birdovic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I would like the Idea of a teleporter to be added.
    But yes, as many say the problem would be the "oh no a threat! Lets tp away and give up the excited situation like a coward!" - Situation.

To solve this, I'd say make the teleporter cost a great amount of pixels AND give it a cooldown of 5 minutes or so.
    That would make ppl think "waiting? e.e I better walk back, im faster" :p

Birdo

14. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, if you spawn in a few ship teleporters, you can drop them and use them to beam up to your ship regardless of where you dropped them.

I use them to exit my extremely deep underground cave lair. I also dug a channel so you actually beam directly down into the lair.

15. Coexist

I never knew learning how to climb was so difficult.

Chammy likes this.
  16. Skhmt

I never knew trolling was part of coexisting.

17. Coexist

It's neither a troll or a part of coexisting it's a statement. Complaining about traveling up and down is like complaing about traveling to new planets to move on. it's part of the game play to mine and if others find it difficult to get back to the surface idk what they are doing when they mine. I never have seemed to have an issue mining in the past nor will I it's essentially a big chunk of the game collecting/exploring underground, to just be able to whisk away from danger,being lost,etc would really devalue the point of going underground in the first place. Now please continue on how Coexisting has anything to do with opinions?

18. Skhmt

It's your name.

The fact of the matter is, there already exists two means to exit from from deep underground: relog or spawn in a ship teleporter and drop it. Why are you so concerned about how other people want to play their game? If you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple.

19. Coexist

I dont see why your so uptight about my opinion? everyone has one and is entitled to it, letting me speak on my behalf of my ideas should be allowed without such critical judgement and rudeness :p

20. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

There's a difference between traveling for exploration and traveling for travel's sake. Terraria had it's magic mirrors and the ability to set your spawn point. It was a decent system in my opinion. Sure, one can save and exit to jump back to the ship. I have on occasion because the trip back to the surface is tedious and traversing what I've already explored is unnecessary time wasting, especially if you were exploring a complex series of caves and aren't sure which is the quickest path to the surface.

Personally I don't understand the arguments against teleporters. The mechanic already exists in save and quit. Traversing areas already explored adds nothing to the game and if you prefer to walk everywhere overland, you'd still be free to. The easy mode argument doesn't hold water as you could easily Wall yourself off and get away as easily as you could click a teleporter beacon.

I'd even accept a 5, 10 or 15 second "lock on" time between clicking and transport. Or make it that one has to interact with both ends once both beacons are set before use. So if you drop one above ground and one below, you have to go back to the surface beacon manually before the two are considered linked would work. That way you can't just drop a beacon on a whim and have it work. You'd need to do some planning ahead.

That's my take at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.