1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Please fix this problem with starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jacksnight, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacksnight

jacksnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Something that really bothered me in terraria is the fact that when you build a solid object you can't see it. This is a video of a build we made in terraria...

If you notice in our structure we had to build tons of windows to cut out the shadows and so you could see what was actually there. I know the shadowing is used as a fog so you cant just dig down to what you see.

There has to be someway to light up what you build so you can get rid of the shadows when you make a structure.

Anyway just a thought,

Jack

2. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since multiple variations of Doors have been confirmed, it stands to reason multiple variations of lighting/lamps/torches exist. I'm sure there will good lighting options. ;)

3. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

yeah i know that problem, i had used an outside architecture software to make great statues of me and my friend in my terraria city but when i went in-game, all the shadows prevented anything from being seen. a fix for those moment would be nice

4. Coolitic

Coolitic Big Damn Hero

I think the shadows are ok, at night everything is a shadow anyways. If u like, use glass bricks and lights.

5. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'ts been said that you can see the object in a "ghost" form , it's in the announced information topic.You should give it a look , it's the first topic here in general discussion.

6. Sciroppo

Sciroppo Astral Cartographer

That would be cool. It's gonna be like half-way transparent or something?

7. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yea you'll see the object transparent where your mouse is.

8. Sciroppo

Sciroppo Astral Cartographer

Oh great. I just hated the pitch black in other games. It's not very realistic.

9. Phyrex

well technically it is and thats just the problem.
    i doubt theres much light in a solid rock formation

Yvisisa likes this.
  10. Darkwater

Darkwater Void-Bound Voyager

How about something like a built-in command/(cheat) option to turn off shadows? And to make the viewport bigger for huge structures.

It would also be nice to have an option to select a rectangle (doesn't matter how big, could be 3x2 screens or something) and let the game export an image of that part of the map? This would save a lot of trouble in eg. pixel art contest entries.

11. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

I think that Tiy meant that if you select (for example) a table on your tool bar you will then see a ghostly image of it on your cursor to make placing it down easier.
    Kinda how you see that grid in Starcraft so that you can easily place down buildings instead of guessing where it goes.
    In Terraria putting down tables was a bit tricky, and it could get really annoying with huge machines in Starbound if the ghostly images didn't exist.

What jacksnight is asking has nothing to do with it.
    He is asking if there's a way to let the players see through thick walls so that it's not all dark.

In Terraria you could do it with windows or torches but not really anything else.
    If you look at the water demo video for Starbound you'll notice that the building has lights, glass roof and background windows, so it'd probably be dark without them.

12. jacksnight

Yeah i don't really mean in solid rock formations, but say you built a skyscraper. Its very solid, but it would be nice to have some frontal lighting on it. Something besides just trying to add lights or windows to let light through.

13. MathiasDrako

MathiasDrako Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it could be avoidable if structures above the first underground "layer" weren't opaque; that gives the illusion that while underground dirt and stone are obstructing your sight, while above ground you can see all "around" the structure.

14. jacksnight

That sounds like a great idea!

15. Phyrex

indeed, it is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.