1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Please don't make an invedit, community!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BlastRed, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Do you want InvEdit for starbound?

1. No, that ruins games. "cheats"

56 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Yes, i need to modify something and "promise" not to use it on servers.

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Have you just ignored all of the comments reminding you that servers can enforce new characters?

PolarStar and WoxandWarf like this.
  2. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Yes he has, as well as the ones saying that if he wants to discourage cheating, then the only way hell do it is by not doing it himself.

3. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

There should be an official invedit made by the devs
    in server options you could keep it on for building or off for a real server

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

While you're at it, could you guys stop with the war, disease, and poverty? Thanks.

5. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Yeah, I'd like it! I mean, if you've played Minecraft you will know the stuff people can build and doing this without a InvEdit can be a bitch. Also, have we even heard of some kind of god mode? Also, once im finished playing the game and be all like ''Meh, might aswell see what I can do with this shizznaz'' I'll probably be using it too.

And, you can't stop it. There will be one. And there will also be piracy on this title because humans are silly. Silly Silly Humenz.

6. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

I say...
    We flame and troll the shite out of the invedit creators. :)

That way, they'll get the point that no-one likes them, and that their mod is terrible, and they should feel terrible for the disaster they puked upon our community. It is obviously the logical/ most mature way to handle this situation, and as such, I encourage you all to do the same.

7. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

I think that is more or less going to probably be part of the toolkit for the directormode they talked about adding. If they can spawn and direct npcs as well as do custom quests, weapons and items would just make sense as well. If it can be turned on even in single player it would more or less run parallel along the lines of Minecrafts creative mode.

ZangooseSlash likes this.
  8. Gnomechompski

Gnomechompski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aaaahhh the internet innocence.
    So sweet, so soft. These tears, so pure.

And inventory editor will probably out before the 1st patch will be. Everyone and their mom will use it but noone will acknoledge it.
    Like Terraria

9. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

BlastRed, please understand that server owners, and operators have the choice of making it so that Character data is stored Server side, and people are not allowed to bring in their own characters.

Now, if someone is hacking the server, that's going to happen regardless of what you ask in a thread, it's like asking people who make Viruses, not to. Server owners/admins should be prompt and swift with the Ban hammer.

This really depends on the people, and the server. There are servers setup for Terraria and Minecraft that have infinite supplies etc, these are used for the purposes of building mega projects ( like a 1:1 scale of Midgard etc) or perhaps figuring out what item sets are the most viable, then obtaining them through legit means on a legit character. Some people use them to hack in the best gear, and derp off endlessly, it's their choice as to how to play the game.

Sure some people do what you call "cheating", know what I call cheating? Looking at a FAQ, a Wiki, or a Walkthrough, having a friend tell you how and where to make something, or give you items to help you get started, when you've never done it before. So does that mean, since this is my opinion, I should then ask for there to be no Wikis made, no FAQS or Walkthroughs at all? Should I then berate you and grow angry because you're getting stuff for free from friends etc, instead of earning it yourself? That's the exact same thing as the Inventory Editor to me, it's taking out the (In my opinion) important step of doing it yourself, and figuring things out for yourself. Would I ever demand that? Gods no, it's a horrible thing to force your beliefs and way of life on others, seriously WARS have been fought over things like that. While admittedly this is just an InvEditor for a game, the principle mostly remains the same.

tl;dr Let people play how they want, if you're truely worried about InvEditors, then host your own server, and ban anyone you think is using one, if the purpose of your worry is because you want to hop around public servers and show off, understand that, pisses some people off more then cheating does.

On a slightly unrelated topic. I truely hope the devs add a feature to Servers like Minecraft has, hosting a Minecraft server allows you to see all the mods/add-ons a player is using for their Client when they login. I really like this, as it allows you to swiftly scan someone's add-ons etc, then ban if need-be.

SuperMandrew and WoxandWarf like this.
  10. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Zero Gravity Genie

The poll is clearly biased and implies that inventory editors are cheating, and that everyone who uses them uses them for an unfair advantage online.

Someone needs to look up how to make unbiased polls. As for me, I'm not going to be voting.

DotBeta and WoxandWarf like this.
  11. So inventory editors have ruined your experience...

Well, I'm sure for every person such as yourself, there is another for whom an inventory editor has enhanced the experience. If you are worried about it, just play with people who don't use those kinds of tools, or use one of the many options to stop edited items from affecting you (eg. serverside characters).

It's a simple fact - you aren't the only person who is going to be playing this game and it is beyond unreasonable to expect the entire community surrounding a game to act upon your ideals.

Also, your poll is biased. A poll is meant to gauge people's opinions towards something and provide enough options to cover all (or most) bases. Your poll, however, only offers one opinion, ergo the entire thing is meaningless.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

.-. Just saying that, in my personal opinion, they ruin games.
    Other than map making, and modding, and a bunch more.
    what im trying to get out is, PEOPLE USE THIS KIND OF APPLICATION
    FOR CHEATING! i don't care about anything else, I KNOW, that people
    use it for something else, im am not implying that everyone who uses
    invedit are cheaters, just, DONT GO CRAZY BUB.
    Don't join the dark side.
    [​IMG]

13. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I understand that yes. But some owners choose not to do that, for players to trade and such.
    I honestly do not like limitation, but cheating with invedit is not acceptable... i mean, just

[​IMG]
    Sounds cool, im tottaly in for that idea. im just trying to get people to stop using such things for cheating
    so they're experience wasn't ruined like mine, WHEN I CHEATED, AND ALL A SUDDEN I GOT BORED, AND NEVER
    PLAYED TERRARIA AGAIN.... untill 1.2 came out....

14. Ignoring the fact that you entirely missed the point I was making

Define cheating. You keep making reference to the idea though it is very poorly defined in this context (or rather, not at all). What constitutes using an inventory editor as cheating? Why should we also consider what you consider to be cheating as cheating?

Is getting the best items to start out with cheating? It's much more fun for some people. Who are you to say they aren't allowed to do that or to take the item onto multiplayer servers if they are so inclined? All I see here is "play the game my way or you're cheating!"

15. Croyd

Croyd Big Damn Hero

Just because inventory editing software is created, does not mean you have to use it. I strongly suggest to anyone who doesn't want to get bored with a game quickly to never even think about or look up software of that kind. You'll never be able to convince people not to make it though.

16. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

This thread isn't going so well and I don't think it'll get better

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation
    Say i wasn't making a server, forget all that bs. im just using it IN starbound, just to get items that im not supposed to have, and playing around with them. That is so called chating with an unfair advantage, if i went on a server and pwnd some noobs. ON THE OTHER HAND, im using invedit to make my server, and i have no idea what these blocks
    do, but they're pretty, and i made a spawn for my server. THAT'S DIFFERENT.

I wish it went better. just trying to stop people using good things for bad advantages

Ok, ok calm down sir. you need a drink... or something?
    People can play in anyway they want. I'm trying to encourage players
    whom cheat when they get bored. Boredom is an emotional state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do, and not interested in their surroundings. This is when most people cheat, because they have nothing else to do. Which isn't ok. why? because it ruins the value of a game that's awesome! Im sure there is something out there that will cheer you up :rofl:

Nope. some people did, and anyways, i can just tell them the sane thing i've beeen telling everybody

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. Are you implying that using an inventory editor is immoral? Are you saying that all manners of play are in some way competitive and that there is a goal to be achieved (and by logical extension, using an inventory editor to achieve that goal is cheating?). Both of these notions are ridiculous.

People are playing a game to have fun, and an inventory editor can make the game more fun for players. What you're saying is that people shouldn't use an inventory editor to have fun because they are 'cheating' according to some arbitrary definition you came up with? You just decided that their manner of play was cheating and should be disallowed?

Explain to me how those two situations you put forward are different; what makes one cheating and the other not? If you can't do that then I see no reason to take anything you've said seriously.

19. Acez

Acez Star Wrangler

As mentioned by loads of people in this thread, there's not much that can be done and an InvEdit will undoubtly be created.
    Its really what people decide to do themselves, if they want to cheat - let them. From my gaming experience, people that cheat tend to not stay with the game for long because after cheating and getting/doing everything, they have little to nothing else left in the game to do.
    Some might decide to go and ruin the games for others, but thats just the toxic community of online gaming - Like mentioned by others, there will be measures in place to help prevent this.
    But in the end its really your choice if you're gonna let them ruin it for you or not - host your own server and/or play with friends that you know you can trust (I did both, basically).

Regardless, InvEdit tools are still useful outside of cheating. They bring a lot more than you would think. In short, I had one character in Terraria where I would use InvEdit to test things or if I ever got bored, do things that wouldn't normally be done.
    Then of course I had a legit character where I did everything legitly to properly experience the game.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  20. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

There's a few problems with the wording on this one mate.
    1. Immoral is subjective, what is and is not moral, or "right" is going to vary wildly, depending on region, social structure, a person's early experiences in life, religion, polictics etc. The ideals of "moral" right and wrong have changed alot, even in human history. The difference between say, a Tyrant supressing his/her people, and a Government formed of the common man, are going to give people living under them, different ideals of what is "moral" so sadly, your definition of immoral, and say mine. Might be very different.
    2. Breaking of Rules- So if a server is listed as "anyone welcome" then by definition of your statment, it is not immoral, or wrong for a person to go in there ubered out in Editor gear, and obliterate anyone and everyone they see? Since the rules stated nothing against such things, only that "anyone welcome" this again, means people could use Inventory Editors freely and at will, it wouldn't be "cheating" it'd just be a different way of playing the game, one that you do not subscribe to or enjoy.
    3. Competitive Situation- This then means that a server that is working towards a Unified goal (Mega structure, capture one of every animal whatever the case may be) would not punish players for using an Inventory Editor, as the atmosphere on the server is co-operative, not competitive.
    4. As a whole- It's a biased statment, based on your beliefs, I'm not saying they are wrong, as I mentioned early, simply that you cannot force your beliefs onto others with any hope of a good reaction. My idea of "immoral" is using anything to get ahead in a competitive game. This includes, guides, FAQs, wikis, walkthrough etc. Generally I consider this intelligent regardless, and I have even done such things before (Looking up a jungling guide in League when I first tried the jungle for instance.) Or watching a pro-player do things. Do I feel like a cheater? Not really, I feel as if I couldn't accomplish my task without outside help, and that my skills and ability were inadequate for the task at hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.