Modding Help Player Sprite Resolution

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Essyx, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Essyx

Essyx Void-Bound Voyager

Hey folks!

Basically, I am trying to double the resolution of the player textures, in order to create a more detailed version. The problem is that the sprite sheets seem to be locked at a particular size in the source code, and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get the game to be able to read a larger .png image, but show the same size as normal in the game.

Here is what I have so far:

From the malebody.frames file I doubled the size of the frame. Altering the dimensions does not seem to do anything.

"frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [86, 86],
    "dimensions" : [9, 6],

When I repeat this for the arms and head, I get a rendered player sprite that is double the size in the game. How do I get the game to shrink this larger image into the same size as a normal player sprite?

Hoedir and Kenode like this.
  2. Kenode

Kenode Void-Bound Voyager

I was just replying to a similar post just a few minutes ago. I didn't think someone would be actually willing to work on something like this!
    I don't quite understand too well the way Starbound works, however, the way you describe things makes me think those are hardcoded in the game. Halving the dimensions does nothing as well? Or Size?

From other engines I've modded, it makes me wonder if you'd actually need to have all the ".frames" files edited and the png's with a doubled size before getting to it. (As in, not mixing a vanilla .frames file with another bodypart that has been doubled)

Essyx likes this.
  3. Essyx

Essyx Void-Bound Voyager

Here is what happens when I use the double resolution textures. The player is supposed to be standing on the teleporter pad.
    [​IMG]

4. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

It looks to me that the only way we could increase the sprite quality would be to change the model itself but that would require a program that can read pixels the size of bacterias! (almost :p)

5. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

go into assets/humanoid. I have a feeling that it may be able to help.

6. sirylcat

sirylcat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For dimensions it means the (fe)malebody.png is composed of 9 blocks x 6 blocks of sprites, evenly separated.
    To modify the sprite resolution you don't modify thay value and instead modify sprite png files, enlarge them by 2x2 and redraw them to fit.