1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Player Space Stations - Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by sagenth, Jul 14, 2017.

1. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

So I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say I think the idea of making a space station is pretty cool. I don't even mind that it takes a boat load of resources to create a great big space station. So the good is that it is a great idea and has so much potential.

I just started working on my first space station today. When I'm building houses or farms or whatever I always go through a bit of trial and error finding the aesthetic that pleases me. So imagine my dismay when I naturally design myself into a corner and desperately need an undo. So I go open the storage folder and delete my space station, luckily this only reset my layout back to default. The bad news, all my resources are gone. On goes the admin mode. Now, 15 deletes later I still haven't settled on a design I like. It may take some time.

One of the problems I'm having deciding on a layout is I want to create certain sections but I can't because of the existing layout. Say I have a corridor and it is above where I want to place a core. I don't want to use these /settileprotection commands to scrap a section that is compatible and make what I really wanted. What should happen is I create what I want and expansion slots that aren't allowed get removed or turn red to signify they're disabled. OR have an option to renovate the old section to be compatible, because surely this is going to be desired from time to time.

This was just released in the last major update, so I'm sure features will be added and improved. I just wanted to start a discussion about it to see people's opinions, and maybe some horror stories, or some pictures. Perhaps a few of you keep up with the dev blog and can share some insights from that.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

This topic has been brought up before. Even before 1.3 officially released. (Nightly builds and all), and they all boil down to the same thing. "Right direction, wrong implementation".

Ditto for Mechs. The features are a good start, but the feel so removed from the rest of the game, and they lack basic quality-of-life features, like being able to remove station sections, painting the hulls, things like that.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, I've had the same issue a couple times with wanting to remove a section of my Station but not being able to easily.
    As you said though this is a recent addition to the game, so I have a feeling Space Station building will be optimized soon to allow the ability to remove sections, and maybe even paint the hull of the station itself =3

4. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I found a mod called Custom Space Station Rooms it won't help undo mistakes, but it helps a bit with trying to get the right layout/design.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if CF added something like this, but then allowed you to create room templates. There is a lot of potential though, and templates might hinder some of it. Like retrofitting sections for new entrances.